Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
JR speculated in his most recent Athletic article that BA might be a candidate to fill Brodeur’s spot, which may be why the Blues and BA haven’t agreed on a new contract yet.
Oh I see. Well that's comforting. Hopefully he's here for a very long time.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That's very surprising news about Bill Armstrong's contract.

There was an episode of 31 Thoughts this summer that talked about Bill Armstrong needing our permission to talk to other teams about potential job openings this summer. Specifically, they were talking about the Leafs potentially interviewing him, but needing permission to do so. That makes little sense if his contract expired in June (I guess some time in the week between the draft and free agency?). I have a very, very hard time believing that his contract expired in June and he hasn't interviewed for a single front office job anywhere around the league.

Edit: Marek and Friedman didn't talk about how many years were left on his deal. Maybe Hockey Central at Noon talked about it after the 31 Thoughts Podcast floated his name as an option. I'm not willing to go back and scour a daily/rambling podcast for that, so maybe I'm just misremembering. It still seems odd to me that no one would know that our director of amateur scouting has been a free agent since the draft and I find it weird that he wouldn't have been interviewed by other teams given his track record.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoMoBlues

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Folks can stop worrying that Brouwer will get a contract in camp and take a spot from a young guy. He signed with Florida, one year $850k.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
With Kevin McDonald handling San Antonio Rampage, promoting Bill Armstrong to Assistant GM would make sense. With Keith Tkachuk's increase in scouting responsibilities over the past year, I would not be surprised to see him become the Director of Amateur Scouting.
This makes me a bit concerned. I read that Tkachuk was very influential in the selection of Perunovich and McGing, two selections I was not happy with. (Particularly the former). Having said that, I do not know what the internal process is in regards to making a draft selection. I am guessing that Bill Armstrong had the final say in presenting the scouting staff's consensus to Doug Armstrong. Still, these selections have me questioning Tkachuk's evaluations and judgement as a scout, and that together with his relative inexperience, gives me serious reservations about the idea of him succeeding Bill Armstrong as Director of Amateur Scouting.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonzerochance

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Excellent. Hopefully he's still heavily involved in the scouting and evaluating of junior talent because he's clearly an exceptional scouting director. He's a good hockey mind. I'm glad he's not going anywhere.
Looks like his official title is both Assistant GM and Director of Amateur Scouting now.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The best thing about our off-season is the main trade board, all the other teams stopped trying to 'Fix' our problems by taking Petro or Colt off our hands. That being said it is now boring around here lol We need some freaking games already

Reactions: shmotz

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Going to be curious if there are any changes in draft philosophy or scouting philosophy. Still the best move to keep Bill here. Hopefully Bill is the successor to Doug, even if it means Doug gets a glorified promotion.

Reactions: ezcreepin

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Looks like his official title is both Assistant GM and Director of Amateur Scouting now.

I finally predict something that turns out to be correct! Yeah, he's listed as both Assistant GM and Director of Amateur Scouting on the Blues website - I hope it stays that way. It sounded like Brodeur, as Assistant GM, traveled quite a bit and did some scouting, so I think BA can handle both duties.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Dave Farrish has also been named as a pro scout. I know nothing about him, but our pro scouting has been a disappointment in recent years, so hopefully he can help.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Dave Farrish has also been named as a pro scout. I know nothing about him, but our pro scouting has been a disappointment in recent years, so hopefully he can help.
At least it's getting better.

I also noticed Glen Wesley is a development coach for us. Is that a new thing? I guess he's replacing Jackman?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's been an assistant coach in the league. Good to see that we are investing in this area, and making some other changes. It's no longer just a ex-Blue retirement community.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Yes, and that’s fantastic news. Bill Army will still be in charge of amateur scouting. And according to Strick, will take on some pro scouting responsibilities as well.

An Asst GM on most teams usually is either a contract or cap guru but that doesn’t seem to be the case for the Blues lately. Jarmo had a similar deal before he left to GM Jokerit - he got the Asst GM title but really didn’t do too much Asst GM responsibilities and mainly stuck to his bread and butter of being the top amateur scout.

This promotion for Bill Army seems similar to me. But boy does he deserve it! I don’t see Army as really needing much help with contracts (and Kevin McDonald has handled most of the minor league contracts over the years anyway) and my understanding is their main Cap guy had been Ryan Miller for years now. No, not that Ryan Miller.

Reactions: Blueston

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
With Kevin McDonald handling San Antonio Rampage, promoting Bill Armstrong to Assistant GM would make sense. With Keith Tkachuk's increase in scouting responsibilities over the past year, I would not be surprised to see him become the Director of Amateur Scouting.

Almost 2 for 2 today. JR also reporting BA will remain director of Amateur Scouting.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm so glad Brodeur left now lol. I mean he seems like a good guy but is a major blessing to keep BA around and give him more responsibility.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
And interesting Jax is leaving. I wonder why. Maybe we’ll find out at some point if JR, Strick, Lou or someone finds out why.

And good they’re adding another pro scout. Or I guess I should say, I hope it’s an addition and not just a replacement. To me, the Blues have been pretty lacking in pro scouts for a number of years now. I’m far from an expert in that area but they’ve seen to have 1-2 total for years now and that just seems low to me. I know nothing about this Farrish guy but hopefully he knows how to evaluate talent and can maybe help identify some good trade targets or at least help with advance scouting.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm so glad Brodeur left now lol. I mean he seems like a good guy but is a major blessing to keep BA around and give him more responsibility.
Right. I have no issues with Marty, but you could make the argument that Bill is the most important individual in the organization, at least among the front office. If his drafts turn out like they are projecting to, we'll be in very good shape.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It says a Ryan Miller is going to be Director of Hockey Operations. Is that the goalie Ryan Miller? I doubt it because he still has a contract with Anaheim, but the name is linked to the goalie Miller's hockeydb page on the article I saw. I also assume its for San Antonio, since it was mentioned right after McDonald taking over as GM of SA. I think DA is GM and Director of hockey Ops for the big club. Anyone know who this guy is and what he will be doing?

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
It says a Ryan Miller is going to be Director of Hockey Operations. Is that the goalie Ryan Miller? I doubt it because he still has a contract with Anaheim, but the name is linked to the goalie Miller's hockeydb page on the article I saw. I also assume its for San Antonio, since it was mentioned right after McDonald taking over as GM of SA. I think DA is GM and Director of hockey Ops for the big club. Anyone know who this guy is and what he will be doing?

Ryan Miller was previously director of hockey administration - he's a cap/contract guy, not the goalie. It's for the Blues, not SA. He's been with the Blues for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad