Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 4-1 (Hunt)

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Canucks are

first period: -23. 43 for, 66 against
Second period:+6. 69 for, 63 against
Third period: +18. 75 for, 57 against

IMHO part of it is random but part of it is fresh legs expose the Canucks weaknesses.
It's definitely strange. It seems like they don't know how to take initiative in the first period and instead wait to see what the other team is going to bring to the party. The first four/five minutes of tonights game really looked like that, where it seemed like they were feeling out the Blues instead of just trying to take it to them.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Considering the level of competition and the crushing travel schedule, a record of 2-1-1 is more than respectable. But unfortunately it gets them no closer to a playoff spot....In fact after Dallas plays Anaheim a couple of times this week, they're likely to be further back.

It's really almost impossible for them to make up ground with only 14 games remaining. But at least they're still playing 'meaningful games' in March. You look at that Eastern Conference, and every team below the playoff bar has basically been toast for months now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Misssed the game live and just got through it

First off the criticisms of Halak are unwarranted. You dont win when you cant score and a couple of the goals were unlucky bounces that required some push back. It didn't come

Most of our chances came from the outside but we also missed some grade A chances and players like Garland Boeser and Horvat just couldn't get it done and in the cases of Garland and Boeser they may be top6 scorers in the NHL but are increasingly looking like the kind that play for losers if relied upon. Both have been bad when we needed them the most.

On the positive side Podkolzin is making strides in transition and Lockwood looks like a player that should fill in for Motte on the cheap.

Really liked OEL and Myers game

Not enough horses at the best of times and with Hoglander Dickinson Highmore Motte out/gone and some others like Miller hitting a bit of a wall from carrying this team and a mass of AHLer/tweeners we were dead in the water

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Canucks are

first period: -23. 43 for, 66 against
Second period:+6. 69 for, 63 against
Third period: +18. 75 for, 57 against

IMHO part of it is random but part of it is fresh legs expose the Canucks weaknesses.
Yeah, once the game slows down, we have enough talent (with footspeed issues) to start to battle back. We just don't have that extra gear to get going at the start of games. We have too many breakdowns that lead to odd man rushes, and not enough footspeed to draw penalties early in games to grab momentum. We do best when we weather the storm in the first, then slow the game to a crawl and get on the cycle.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Funny, I expected them to lose the games against Colorado, Minny, and Dallas, but sneak out a win against the Blues. You just never know.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think anyone who defended that trade is probably mentally challenged.

Most people still live in a pre-2000 world where there was no salary cap and contracts didn't matter and so when you trade some bad players and a pick for two pretty good players that's amazing because it would have been a great trade in 1995.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Misssed the game live and just got through it

First off the criticisms of Halak are unwarranted. You dont win when you cant score and a couple of the goals were unlucky bounces that required some push back. It didn't come

Most of our chances came from the outside but we also missed some grade A chances and players like Garland Boeser and Horvat just couldn't get it done and in the cases of Garland and Boeser they may be top6 scorers in the NHL but are increasingly looking like the kind that play for losers if relied upon. Both have been bad when we needed them the most.

On the positive side Podkolzin is making strides in transition and Lockwood looks like a player that should fill in for Motte on the cheap.

Really liked OEL and Myers game

Not enough horses at the best of times and with Hoglander Dickinson Highmore Motte out/gone and some others like Miller hitting a bit of a wall from carrying this team and a mass of AHLer/tweeners we were dead in the water
I'm pretty sure Garland has been an impact factor in about 10-15 games this season, and Boeser has had maybe 1 good game where he scored twice. I cannot remember a single game where Boeser dictated the pace of play in the offensive zone, but I'm sure many can remember games like that for Garland.

Granted, Garland has only been good in 3 months (October, November, February) so he's not consistent, but that's what you would expect out of a second line winger.

Reactions: B-rock

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm pretty sure Garland has been an impact factor in about 10-15 games this season, and Boeser has had maybe 1 good game where he scored twice. I cannot remember a single game where Boeser dictated the pace of play in the offensive zone, but I'm sure many can remember games like that for Garland.

Granted, Garland has only been good in 3 months (October, November, February) so he's not consistent, but that's what you would expect out of a second line winger.

Garland is going to finish with about 40 ES points which is pretty solid 2nd line production for his minutes. It's been anything but consistent - 8 of those ES points were in the first 6 games of the season - but overall it's been fine. Again, except on the PP where I think he should have been expected to carry the 2nd unit to some decent production and has totally failed.

Boeser has just been consistently terrible.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After the first 25 games, hands up anyone who thought the Canucks would end up being a few points out of a playoff spot in the West by late March?

As I recall, the 'tank thread' was already up and running on HF Boards, and the Canuck faithful were drilling down on draft prospect rankings to see who might be available as a top-10 pick.

But the reality is since those dark early days, the Canucks have been playing at almost a .600 clip under Boudreau. Given the schedule and the injuries, results like last night in St. Loo are largely inevitable.

So it really was a tale of two seasons. The question for management now, is how extensive do the off-season changes need to be.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
After the first 25 games, hands up anyone who thought the Canucks would end up being a few points out of a playoff spot in the West by late March?

As I recall, the 'tank thread' was already up and running on HF Boards, and the Canuck faithful were drilling down on draft prospect rankings to see who might be available as a top-10 pick.

But the reality is since those dark early days, the Canucks have been playing at almost a .600 clip under Boudreau. Given the schedule and the injuries, results like last night in St. Loo are largely inevitable.

So it really was a tale of two seasons. The question for management now, is how extensive do the off-season changes need to be.

I hope the management doesn’t consider us a .600 team and they factor in all the variables. Such as

- demko making our record look better than it is

- we literally can’t win a game with our back up

- team is delusional that they are good enough to make the playoffs so they were in do or die mode before most of our opponents were who might be in cruise control when we beat them .

- we are cap f’d so this is about the best team we can roster without sweeping changes to the core. Because we certainly ain’t finding any supporting cast at 750k a pop that would move the scale.

We need to be a .600 team while in cruise control for us to be legit basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: geebaan

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Its infinitely more exciting than the alternative....Having the team quit...and hang around waiting for the 15th OA draft pick..?
We can have a look at some of the young guys in abbotsford. Can also let any guys who may be playing through injury reat and recover.
Its also not impossible to drop from 13th to 10th in the draft. Even 11th gives us a shot a 1OA.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We can have a look at some of the young guys in abbotsford. Can also let any guys who may be playing through injury reat and recover.
Its also not impossible to drop from 13th to 10th in the draft. Even 11th gives us a shot a 1OA.
They're going to go with their top guys right until they are completely eliminated...The players and coach dont give a f*** about their upcoming draft position..Thats how players are wired.

Full credit to the players for not being quitters....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad