Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 4-1 (Hunt)

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Blues got outplayed, but I think we'll win the next one. Dallas and Vegas are the favourites for the WC spots, and EDM likely takes #3 in Pacific... That's our direct competition.

Blues had like 3 or 4 two on ones in the first period and many more after that. They didn’t give us a single odd man rush. Not sure what you were watching. …..

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
When your tired and trying too hard to create offense, your structure can start breaking down and that happened a lot in this game. Way too many odd rushes given and lack of people getting back on the back check. That combined with a very hot goal tender and some lousy bounces undid the team in this one.

Good

Myers - was a physical force in his end. Got Blues players off the puck and consistently cleared it from his zone. This player is never going to play perfectly but he was positive for the team in this one. Thought OEL also was at least decent.

Hunt - nice goal and overall a good job of moving the puck and in joining the rush.

Hughes - was skating very well and consistently getting the puck out of his end. Numerous times when he controlled puck in the Blues end allowing the team second and third chances to score.

Bad

Boeser - just another game when he couldn't get there. And another game where his play along the boards in his own end was not near good enough. He's the biggest head ache for management heading into the off season. I say he can't be signed at the present price.

Others

Horvat - looked bagged. Blew good set ups by mishitting the puck. Wasn't horrible but well below his top form

Miller - his play, after a super run, is tailing, off. Was on for too many goals against (-3) and just too many poor passes

Garland - hard to criticize this player b/c he tries so hard and does produce a lot of chances. Still he represents a problem in this game in that he forced the play, got overly individualistic and created chances going the other way.

Halak - very little to harp on here. Might have played the first goal better but he made some huge stops that gave the team a chance

Lockwood - kind of the same story as in Utica and now Abbotsford. Has the speed to get the there for chances but then somehow doesn't finish. Had some nice shifts but you wonder if he is ever going to produce anything. Does deserve a longer look and is showing potential to be something of a Motte style player

Richardson - has some obvious savvy but looks to lack enough speed

Dermott- underwhelming so far. Backs in too much and gets lost at times in coverage around the net. Need to give him more time before anything definite can be said but right now you wonder if he is much of up grade over someone like Juulsen.

Early in the year we got some wins b/c Demko was great and I think you could make the case that Husso did that to the Canucks tonite.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Blues had like 3 or 4 two on ones in the first period and many more after that. They didn’t give us a single odd man rush. Not sure what you were watching. …..

This game really should have been over in the 1st period, but we did battle back with a strong second.

Reactions: geebaan

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Blues were the better team in the first (shocking I know) and when it came time to shut it down in the third they did. Canucks didn’t have a lot of third period shots until a small flurry at the end. To me this was a game where the blues got the lead and then sat back looking for a counter…and those counters did come they just didn’t capitalize.

Did Berube change the match up in the third against Miller or did Schenn just turn it up as Miller went from have a strong first 40 minutes to not much of anything in the third (and the 3-0 goal was a result of that line getting dominated)?

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Guenther tracking really well. Would have been nice to have him or Sillinger on an ELC vs Garland at 4.95 million….lol

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
You can argue that we lost because we didn't have super natural goal tending, or unlucky, or whatever.

What's not up for dispute, however, is that if we are to push for playoffs in this situation, every loss is MASSIVELY detrimental.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Guenther tracking really well. Would have been nice to have him or Sillinger on an ELC vs Garland at 4.95 million….lol
Yeah but we also got 9th highest paid dman in the league who is a pretty good #4 for us so...

O yeah and the contract is for another 5 years too!

But I guess it was Bennings best offseason...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Almost a guaranteed loss tonight... Last game of a tough trip, with a travel schedule bordering on insane. But the reality is, if Dallas wins their four games in hand the playoff chase is basically done.

Can't fault the effort....they try....but the way teams like Minny and St. Louis will beat the Canucks every time is with 'big boy hockey'. Take the man and finish your checks, particularly along the wall, because the Canucks lack size, speed and skill.

Not to harp on it, because the Canucks have injuries and guys are being asked to fill in. But any team being forced to use guys like Petan, Chiasson. Richardson, Hunt, Lammikko and even Lockwood at this point his career, really isn't built to be a playoff team. I'm pretty certain that few of those guys will be anywhere near the lineup next season.

But on a positive note, Rutherford and Allvin can see the same things we all see......this is basically a capped out team that's too small and too slow.

Reactions: sting101 and B-rock

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks are

first period: -23. 43 for, 66 against
Second period:+6. 69 for, 63 against
Third period: +18. 75 for, 57 against

IMHO part of it is random but part of it is fresh legs expose the Canucks weaknesses.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Bruce is massive upgrade over the incompetent Travis Green. The decision to start Halak was stupid. It sends the wrong message to the team and he was not going to catch lightning in s bottle twice with Halak.

Dumb decision Bruce

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
halak just makes our team much less intimidating when he is in goal, its like we know we are going to lose

But good thing Demko sat on the bench in favour of the backup on a non b2b night

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bruce is massive upgrade over the incompetent Travis Green. The decision to start Halak was stupid. It sends the wrong message to the team and he was not going to catch lightning in s bottle twice with Halak.

Dumb decision Bruce
They can't play Demko every game. Better to throw this one (tired team) to Halak and keep Demko fresh for the home games. Blues Knights Knights. The Canucks need to win against both games the Knights to have the slightest chance.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
halak just makes our team much less intimidating when he is in goal, its like we know we are going to lose

But good thing Demko sat on the bench in favour of the backup on a non b2b night

Clearly TD35 is nursing an injury. 0 reason to not play him after a couple days rest and no back to back. If you believe that whole “we didn’t want them to see the same goalie” shit I have a bridge to sell you.

How many times does Calgary / Edmonton see our same goalie? Lol.

Just nonsense.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Did anyone already make a meme of Will smith slapping Chris rock and labeling rock as our playoff chances and will smith as STL?

Cuz I don’t wanna waste my time if someone already did this.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Did anyone already make a meme of Will smith slapping Chris rock and labeling rock as our playoff chances and will smith as STL?

Cuz I don’t wanna waste my time if someone already did this.

No but there's this one from Eddie Lack:

lack.jpg

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Podkolzins breakouts or Zone Exits are steadily improving.

Huge plus,
Good to see a guy improving in that department.

Boeser has actually become steadily worse in that department to the point he is one of the worst forwards in that department.

According to some, he’s having a monster year. 16 points in 60 games and 1 goal in his last 12 games but … different strokes I guess …

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

That whole trade was a f***ing 6 year debacle. We won’t be competitive until OEL is off the books in 6 years. We traded away Guenther and have a 3/4 defensman making 7+ Shmill till he’s 40.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Almost a guaranteed loss tonight... Last game of a tough trip, with a travel schedule bordering on insane. But the reality is, if Dallas wins their four games in hand the playoff chase is basically done.

Can't fault the effort....they try....but the way teams like Minny and St. Louis will beat the Canucks every time is with 'big boy hockey'. Take the man and finish your checks, particularly along the wall, because the Canucks lack size, speed and skill.

Not to harp on it, because the Canucks have injuries and guys are being asked to fill in. But any team being forced to use guys like Petan, Chiasson. Richardson, Hunt, Lammikko and even Lockwood at this point his career, really isn't built to be a playoff team. I'm pretty certain that few of those guys will be anywhere near the lineup next season.

But on a positive note, Rutherford and Allvin can see the same things we all see......this is basically a capped out team that's too small and too slow.

Next year the bare minimum is playoffs. Making the playoffs isn’t some sort of great accomplishment , it’s only that in our minds because we are so shitty. 50% of the league makes the playoffs. We spend every cent to the cap and can’t crack 50%??

Not acceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad