Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 2-1 (Garland)

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Would rather 6-5 with Kuzzy than lose 2-1 without him

And also not fall asleep during the game

Canucks are one boring hockey team under Tocchet

Reactions: cc

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Kizzy plays, scores 2 goals Tocchet makes sure he is not on the ice for a hat trick

Buy hey, nothing personal right?

Reactions: Hansen

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Remember it was genius Tocchet that started Desmith with days off prior to the game and a big Christmas break after

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
You really believe this??

yeah, more or less. i don't think he's been unplayable or anything but he's been about the same as last year. he's still slow, weak defensively and more of an opportunistic scorer than a guy who creates offense. he and miller started the year ultra hot but i don't think they were really playing better than they are now they just were scoring on like 30% of their shots

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Think it's time to try something a bit more dramatic like this:

Pettersson - Miller - Kuzmenko
Mikheyev - Suter - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Aman - Lafferty

Last edited:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
You must live for these losses, eh? Then you can shut on Toc.

Overall he's gotten lots out his players his issues with Kuz are questionable in a game where none of his top offense looked so he needed a bottom line plug ?
My issue lately had been lack of making smart plays and pushing hard enough up front it is a long season buy they should win this game

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Would rather 6-5 with Kuzzy than lose 2-1 without him

And also not fall asleep during the game

Canucks are one boring hockey team under Tocchet
lol we lead the NHL in goals

yeah, more or less. i don't think he's been unplayable or anything but he's been about the same as last year. he's still slow, weak defensively and more of an opportunistic scorer than a guy who creates offense. he and miller started the year ultra hot but i don't think they were really playing better than they are now they just were scoring on like 30% of their shots
I think you're more or less out of your mind

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Think it's time to try something a bit more dramatic like this:

Pettersson - Miller - Kuzmenko
Mikheyev - Suter - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Di Giuseppe - Aman - Lafferty

I suppose it's worth a shot but there's no chance I see this working. That second line is laughably weak. Also PDG is out for the foreseeable future. So sub in Hoglander.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

You do realize Boeser has to be playing well to actually get a ridiculous 30% scoring conversion, yeah? Of course there's luck involved but that's how it goes: "You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good."

Boeser is playing poorly right now but he's far better than the last two years. He's actually engaging play, has been fairly decent on the forecheck and up until recently a consistent threat. He's never been fast, which is why I think moving Mivheyov down to that line might work, but to say he's the same player just no longer scoring now is silly.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
If the Canucks make a move it'd be for a top 6 winger to play with Pettersson.

HOWEVER, the coach needs to stop being stubborn about Kuzmenko. Missing the forest for the trees.

Here's some fun stats:

PP with Kuzmenko: 25%
PP without Kuzmenko: 18.75%

Points percentage with Kuzmenko: 71.88% (22-8-2)
Points percentage without Kuzmenko: 41.67% (2-3-1)

Now you must be saying, "Well those losses without Kuzmenko must be good teams right?"

WRONG!

They lost to: Calgary, San Jose, St. Louis and Dallas (in OT).

One playoff team, and maybe the two of the worst losses this season is without Kuzmenko playing. (San Jose and tonight)

Turns out, playing your best players is an easy way to success. Crazy thought!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You do realize Boeser has to be playing well to actually get a ridiculous 30% scoring conversion, yeah? Of course there's luck involved but that's how it goes: "You have to be good to be lucky and lucky to be good."

Boeser is playing poorly right now but he's far better than the last two years. He's actually engaging play, has been fairly decent on the forecheck and up until recently a consistent threat. He's never been fast, which is why I think moving Mivheyov down to that line might work, but to say he's the same player just no longer scoring now is silly.

Yea, I think it’s fair to say Boeser’s value isn’t the same as a player who would typically have the scoring paces he has now, but he’s certainly played better than the past couple years.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Genius coaching

Win a game and over coach by changing a winning lineup and sitting kuzzy

Shocker we only score 1 goal after sitting out a sniper…. But hey only allowed 2 goals so I am sure Tocchet is very very happy tonight
And why do they have a winning lineup?…its by being responsible 2 way players with a total buy in to playing total team defense..unlike previous years.

This is obviously flying right over your head.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Evenly played game by similarly coached teams. Canucks need game breakers to come through in such games and they simply didn't in this one.

Good

Garland - don't know that he is an good option on the PP but his play has warranted giving him a chance. Had another excellent all round game. The consistency in his play has been, through all the hits and puck battles, remarkable. Has the unsung hero award wrapped up (althouhg Joshua desevres consideration).

Myers - thought he did a lot to cover for a pretty lethargic Zadorov in this game and he pushed the play up ice much of the game. Showed good speed coming out of his end and got osome good shots off from the point (although he could have been a little more accurate).

Hughes - did his best to push the play and did create chances. Sometimes he got himself into some trouble doing that but situation more or less forced him to have to create offense. (few of the forwards were)

Not So Good

Zadorov - OK most of the times but a way too casual in many situations. Needs to show more intensity and you wonder what he could be if he was.

Mikheyev - skates around, plays the system fairly well but rarely has the puck and shows zero offense. Can't get a lot cheaper than him to do that.

Not Good at all

Boeser - 20 minutes of nothing. Gets a wide open chance 10 feet out, after others worked their cans off getting him it, and he flubs it wide. Make a comparison with that to a player with a real shot in Thomas, and his winning goal, and you've got the game in a nutshell. Boeser stank all game. As others worked for a shot he stood around like a statue never trying to look for creases where he could get the puck. When he was passed the puck looked surprises and then took his time windening up to get off a weak effort. If Kuzmenko can be sat why can't Boeser. Oh ya, I forgot, don't want to hurt his feelings.

Karlsson - can't skate at this level. There's nothing there.

Others

Pettersson - has to have more impact. Closely checked and gets little help from the wingers. but he needs to be better.

Miller - like Petterssson has so little to work with. Has carried Boeser all season but tonite the load was too big. Thought the effort was there and there were times when he did force some chances but no player can do it on his own. thought at one point he might be arguing with the coach. Frustration building.

Hornek - play lacks the zip of early in the season. Might be Hughes is controlling the play all the time and Hronek starts spectating. Maybe want to look at adjusting the pairings.

Game showed the importance of playing with the lead. That's one thing the team has done well all year.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
And why do they have a winning lineup?…its by being responsible 2 way players with a commitment to playing total team defense..unlike previous years.

This is obviously flying right over your head.
Playing total team defense lolol, demko kept the game close

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I suppose it's worth a shot but there's no chance I see this working. That second line is laughably weak. Also PDG is out for the foreseeable future. So sub in Hoglander.
Crap, forgot about Hoglander.

Yeah, I know. But this rotating winger thing is just not working at the moment and they're really running out of things to try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad