Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Just look at what happened to Mantha in Vegas if you think Carbery is not a good coach. Dude looked nothing like the way he did with us.

Strome had his best year ever. CMM had a good regular season, first full season in the NHL. Lappy looks good. Chucky had a career year.

Only players that regressed are the ones close to retirement, which should be expected.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Fever, Alexeyev, CMM, Beck, Lappy, Protas all made major strides this year, and each has more upside IMO. Sandin progressed, Miro showed promise, and Milano (a tweener) is worth looking at for 1 more year to see if he can evolve into a more complete player. We got a ton of data on what the young’uns are, what they might become, and what holes remain.

The off-season focus should be on making that group stronger, not getting to 895. The surest way to lose the progress made this year is to make moves designed primarily to help 8 get to 895. Whether that happens (and it would be great and deserving if he gets it), depends mostly on Ovie himself - particularly on him getting lighter, more agile, and more mobile than he was most of this year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fever, Alexeyev, CMM, Beck, Lappy, Protas all made major strides this year, and each has more upside IMO. Sandin progressed, Miro showed promise, and Milano (a tweener) is worth looking at for 1 more year to see if he can evolve into a more complete player. We got a ton of data on what the young’uns are, what they might become, and what holes remain.

The off-season focus should be on making that group stronger, not getting to 895. The surest way to lose the progress made this year is to make moves designed primarily to help 8 get to 895. Whether that happens (and it would be great and deserving if he gets it), depends mostly on Ovie himself - particularly on him getting lighter, more agile, and more mobile than he was most of this year.
Improving the roster inherently improves the chase to 895. I don’t get the fan focus on the chase in a negative light like this.

They will try to improve the roster…..with that will come reinforcements to get to 895. Personally I think it’s silly to suggest that 895 takes priority over making the team better when a better roster is the solution to 895.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean improving the roster suggest improving the offense, right? They were the worst offense in the Eastern Conference.

Improving the offense helps both the team and Ovechkin, doesn't it? The chase isn't the reason to improve the offense. The fact that they were the worst offense in the Conference is the real reason.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Tom Wilson needs to get some help this offseason. Like f***ing therapy. His stupidity seems to know no bounds.

And let’s get that “A” off his chest while we are at it. It’s too heavy for Simple Tom.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I mean improving the roster suggest improving the offense, right? They were the worst offense in the Eastern Conference.

Improving the offense helps both the team and Ovechkin, doesn't it? The chase isn't the reason to improve the offense. The fact that they were the worst offense in the Conference is the real reason.
1000%, improving that roster helps the chase by default by surrounding him with more talent. Adding talent is the goal, 895 can be the byproduct.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Might be nice to move a couple of those 3rds to get back into the second with a second pick.. Though admittedly I can't remember that chance to hit on a player for each round and the difference between 2nd and 3rd round.
Should be able to get CMM and BM signed for 3m between the 2 of them. Perhaps a little less (unless long term Protas type deal for CMM).

That would leave 11m and change. IF Oshie is LTIR’d, then we are looking at almost 17m (and with another spot to fill).

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Appears that Oshie only addressed his back injuries and broken hand but there's his concussion history as well which I would think should be the greatest concern. Not sure how many concussions he has had during his career, but I found a 2018 article that listed it at five at that time and we know that he's had more since. He lossed his father to Alzheimers, so would imagine that his cognitive abilities going forward should be a concern.

Oshie's jersey should hang from the Verizon Center rafters at some point, but there's life after hockey and he should enjoy it and get back to golfing.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Tom Wilson needs to get some help this offseason. Like f***ing therapy. His stupidity seems to know no bounds.

And let’s get that “A” off his chest while we are at it. It’s too heavy for Simple Tom.
I disagree. Wilson's game has always been a physical one and playing on the edge. I have to think that Carberry somewhat neutered him and his style of play for the playoff series as he knew how lethal the Rangers PP was. Wilson not being able to play the style that best suits him obviously frustrated him.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
I disagree. Wilson's game has always been a physical one and playing on the edge. I have to think that Carberry somewhat neutered him and his style of play for the playoff series as he knew how lethal the Rangers PP was. Wilson not being able to play the style that best suits him obviously frustrated him.
Wilson hasn't played "his style" - the style that made him famous - in many years. Maybe the biggest change was after the 2018 suspension for the hit on Oskar Sundqvist. He still gets the PIMs and occasionally lands a tough check, but he's not who he was in his first five seasons. Since then he's become a more important part of the team's offense. But it's not right to put the blame on Carbs - his play changed a long time ago.
Edit: and now his PIMs are less because of tough checks and more due to emotion and as some might say stupidity.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Improving the roster inherently improves the chase to 895. I don’t get the fan focus on the chase in a negative light like this.

They will try to improve the roster…..with that will come reinforcements to get to 895. Personally I think it’s silly to suggest that 895 takes priority over making the team better when a better roster is the solution to 895.
I don't think it's likely they go this route, but there's absolutely ways they could help Ovie to 895 while hurting the roster overall. Huberdeau for instance is a great setup guy, but he does nothing else and has one of the worst contracts in the league so he'd probably be easy to trade for. A line with him and Ovie would score more goals, and it'd cancel them all out by being a defensive black hole like the Ovie-Kuzy lines this year.

That is less definitive then I thought he'd be at this point.

I'm gonna choose to interpret him talking about a guarantee as him not wanting to pull a Backstrom. Here's hoping he'll have a firm decision before the draft.

Oshie's currently at 393 assists and 695 points. I wonder if he feels any desire to come back to hit those milestones? Even another half season would be plenty to get him there.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Has there been any news about Ethan Bear lately? Capfriendly still has him in the Player Assistance program, I wonder whether or not the Caps expect him to be part of their plans for next year?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
The penalty he took at the end of the first is absolutely inexcusable. He went after a player who just scored, and gave up another PP.

We were down 3-0 in the series, 2-1 in the game.

He’s a dummy. He can never be relied on to do anything helpful when the chips are down.

BigWilly43

May 3, 2018
Maryland
Love Oshie but its time to go. No one tried harder but he needs to retire to save his body for his family. He is ultimately a liability because he barely plays 50 games a season and takes up cap room.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Untuck Your Shirt From Your Tighty Whities @Corby78
Leonard is the only goal scoring prospect they have, they are going to need to go out and acquire it.

Now I agree with you that we shouldn't be trading assets to add anybody over 30, but I won't be upset if we use our 1st to trade for a 24 year old with a ton of skill.

On the other side of that, if Oshie goes LTIRetired, I am looking to add Stamkos and Marchessault via free agency. Goal scoring is hard to find, adding goal scoring is expensive but I want it. Do it Ted
I would consider a 24 year old youth so I would be fine with that

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Wilson + Kuemper +1st + 2nd for Marner + 3rd, if he signs an extension? Bad or too much? Marner has been almost a 100 pt player 3 times now.

I mean I'd pull the trigger from a Caps POV.

That being said I'd probably omit Kuemper from the deal since I don't think Toronto would want him. Maybe Wilson + Jensen/TVR for Marner extended? It's neutral from a cap POV, Toronto gets a defenseman, and they get the UNICORN

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I mean I'd pull the trigger from a Caps POV.

That being said I'd probably omit Kuemper from the deal since I don't think Toronto would want him. Maybe Wilson + Jensen/TVR for Marner extended? It's neutral from a cap POV, Toronto gets a defenseman, and they get the UNICORN
I put Kuemper in there to make the money work since Marner makes a smidge under $11 million per year. We could 50% retain on Kuemper and add Jensen, although I would prefer TVR but not sure Leafs would want him. Leafs will have a lot of cap room this offseason(something like $30 million).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad