Post-Game Talk: Blues def. Canucks - 2-1 (Garland)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
There really doesn't seem to be any repercussions for playing badly other than Kuzmenko. Mikheyev has been coasting around for a fair amount of games now.

Kuzmenko didn't even have a terrible outing vs Ottawa.

At this point I'm down with trading Kuzmenko. Not because I want to, just because I don't think he'll ever get a fair chance under Tochett.
If you look at Arizona's stats under Tocchet.

ALL the high skilled players had depressed numbers AND they all asked for a trade. It took Keller demanding a trade for them to fire Tocchet and now they improved every year since.

Tocchet reminds me of the really old days when the Russians were the enemy. But then Tocchet has had those experiences playing against them. Maybe there is a carry over? No I don't think so because ALL skilled guys have horrible seasons under him.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
He's in a slump for sure. His skating or ability to get into position wasn't great and he's not hitting the net again.

Laff, Kuz, Hogs, and Garl all offer the same thing as exciting, playmaking forwards(though Hogs can do some power moves) but they aren't interchangeable. If Pete is used to Kuz you can't fit Laff or Garl into the line to replace him. I don't know where to fit Laff actually since Garl can pretty much only play with Josh and spots on Mill's line are taken.

The big thing was this was an early game on the road trip after coming up with a great win at home. This is the longest road trip in team history? they are going to be bagged by game 3 or 4 so this win was necessary. They need to be able to win 4? on this trip to come out above 500.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The Kuzmenko Kult in Vancouver baffles me. He is making 5.5 Mil and is the only player on the team apart from Aman who isn't a + player (most of his linemates are +10 or better). He is lazy and streaky and yet, despite coaching the team to 1st place in the league by Christmas Tocchet is now about as popular with certain Canuck fans as Willie D. because he demands accountability from his expensive star player. Meanwhile Myers ($5 mil and eating up 20 minutes a game) is castigated and microanalysed by his haters (who are legion) despite actually playing very well (and well within his pay scale) since Zadorov was acquired. I only watched bits of this game but one thing I noticed was that Demko once again displayed a total inability to control his rebounds which, in my estimation, added at least 8 shots to our shots against. He didn't play badly but his opponent once again played just a bit better. The only guy who looked decent to me was, once again, Blueger who continues to amaze with his ability to pick pucks out of the air and always seems to make the smart defensive plays. He could turn into our Butch Goring in the playoffs. Petey plays far too often like he would love to be somewhere else, disinterested and sulky. The last 10 games this team hasn't looked anything like a Cup contender, at least to me. This road trip will tell us a lot about the grit in this team...

Reactions: m9

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Can a team elect to sit a coach for a game, to see if he gets the message that bottom six players in the top six don't "spread the scoring out" or what ever the purpose of Mik, Laff and any number of others on our top six is doing.

That was a bad game though, not fun to watch.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Can a team elect to sit a coach for a game, to see if he gets the message that bottom six players in the top six don't "spread the scoring out" or what ever the purpose of Mik, Laff and any number of others on our top six is doing.

That was a bad game though, not fun to watch.
Ridiculous comment..The reason our record is currently where its at, is because of the buy in from the players of Tocchet.

The bottom 6 scored last night, the top 6 did f*** all..You think Kuz would have been the difference maker..?

Reactions: m9

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The Kuzmenko Kult in Vancouver baffles me. He is making 5.5 Mil and is the only player on the team apart from Aman who isn't a + player (most of his linemates are +10 or better). He is lazy and streaky and yet, despite coaching the team to 1st place in the league by Christmas Tocchet is now about as popular with certain Canuck fans as Willie D. because he demands accountability from his expensive star player. Meanwhile Myers ($5 mil and eating up 20 minutes a game) is castigated and microanalysed by his haters (who are legion) despite actually playing very well (and well within his pay scale) since Zadorov was acquired. I only watched bits of this game but one thing I noticed was that Demko once again displayed a total inability to control his rebounds which, in my estimation, added at least 8 shots to our shots against. He didn't play badly but his opponent once again played just a bit better. The only guy who looked decent to me was, once again, Blueger who continues to amaze with his ability to pick pucks out of the air and always seems to make the smart defensive plays. He could turn into our Butch Goring in the playoffs. Petey plays far too often like he would love to be somewhere else, disinterested and sulky. The last 10 games this team hasn't looked anything like a Cup contender, at least to me. This road trip will tell us a lot about the grit in this team...
what exactly is your relationship to willie desjardins

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ridiculous comment..The reason our record is currently where its at, is because of the buy in from the players of Tocchet.

The bottom 6 scored last night, the top 6 did f*** all..You think Kuz would have been the difference maker..?
He could have been, yes. Just as easily anyone top or bottom six.

I like the success of the Tocchet era, but when our team is off, it's off. Trying to jam favoured, bottom six players into top six shaped holes is a complaint every Canucks fan I've interacted with Green, Desjardins, Vignault, and just about anyone else going back to listening to them complain about Keenan. It's bad behaviour, the solution to which seems to be benching.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Am I crazy for saying Mikheyev has done nothing to maintain his position on the top line? I get that he plays the system, but the play absolutely dies on his stick in the offensive zone.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
He could have been, yes. Just as easily anyone top or bottom six.

I like the success of the Tocchet era, but when our team is off, it's off. Trying to jam favoured, bottom six players into top six shaped holes is a complaint every Canucks fan I've interacted with Green, Desjardins, Vignault, and just about anyone else going back to listening to them complain about Keenan. It's bad behaviour, the solution to which seems to be benching.

What annoys me is they pick the wrong bottom six players. I get the whole reward hard work and all but Hoglander has a much higher chance of working on Pettersson's wing than Lafferty, which has been tried several times now. The only time it worked was when Laf was already on a hot streak. In those scenarios, fine. Go with the hot hand. That wasn't last night.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Am I crazy for saying Mikheyev has done nothing to maintain his position on the top line? I get that he plays the system, but the play absolutely dies on his stick in the offensive zone.

I really think he should be tried with Miller/Boeser because, yeah, it absolutely isn't working with Pettersson. In fact, maybe we juggle the whole top six a little because none of them are going right now.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Miller - Mikheyov

or

Hoglander - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Mikheyov - Miller - Boeser

Just try some combination of those players and see what happens.

Reactions: BimJenning

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
I really think he should be tried with Miller/Boeser because, yeah, it absolutely isn't working with Pettersson. In fact, maybe we juggle the whole top six a little because none of them are going right now.

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Miller - Mikheyov

or

Hoglander - Pettersson - Kuzmenko
Mikheyov - Miller - Boeser

Just try some combination of those players and see what happens.
Agree, I actually think Miller made some pretty good plays yesterday only for Brock to flub them. He's definitely cooled down a bit

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What annoys me is they pick the wrong bottom six players. I get the whole reward hard work and all but Hoglander has a much higher chance of working on Pettersson's wing than Lafferty, which has been tried several times now. The only time it worked was when Laf was already on a hot streak. In those scenarios, fine. Go with the hot hand. That wasn't last night.
I like Lafferty, but he's not a top six forward. Hot hand or no, if he's in our top six, it's another DiGiuseppe situation where we have someone that is really just a coaching darling playing above their means. Garland might be a better pick, but if we don't want to seperate Joshua and Garland...I mean there is an option that I know I'd be on board with that is being scratched.

Pettersson, as well as our overall powerplay, are better with Kuzmenko on Petey's wing too. Whether it's due to stability of having the same winger game to game, Kuz's skill or play style, or even just some kind of astrological side effect, Kuz has meant more production from our star player, as well as our powerplay this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad