Proposal: Blues Blow up it Up

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The bolded is a great example of a false dilemma. There's absolutely nothing mutually exclusive about having success in the playoffs and re-signing Pietrangelo.

In fact, most would consider having a true #1 defenseman borderline mandatory for being considered a legitimate contender. Stating that retaining the one you have is somehow building towards a goal of mediocrity is an absurd notion on the face of it.

Until someone can come up with a "fit" involving Pietrangelo that makes the Blues more competitive instead of less, there's not really much point to discussing moving him. The better option will continue to be to simply re-sign Pietrangelo.

There's also no guarantee that Pietrangelo re-signs, so are the Blues prepared to lose him for nothing in a couple of summers?

I doubt very much they'd get a young, established player with Nylander's upside if they were to deal him as a rental at next year's trade deadline

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
There's also no guarantee that Pietrangelo re-signs, so are the Blues prepared to lose him for nothing in a couple of summers?

I doubt very much they'd get a young, established player with Nylander's upside if they were to deal him as a rental at next year's trade deadline
Armstrong will resign him. His wife and family live here. He just had triplets I highly doubt he moves away from her family. But thanks again for trying

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Armstrong will resign him. His wife and family live here. He just had triplets I highly doubt he moves away from her family. But thanks again for trying

If you read through the thread, you'll see my thoughts on that

Be careful what you wish for

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
If you read through the thread, you'll see my thoughts on that

Be careful what you wish for
What that he gets signed craps out. He is one of those chelios you dmen. Doesn't get hurt, doesn't play to physical. He will be fine for the next 6 years

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What that he gets signed craps out. He is one of those chelios you dmen. Doesn't get hurt, doesn't play to physical. He will be fine for the next 6 years

He's already under contract for 2 of those years

In the summer of 2020 he'll sign an 8 year deal worth 9 million per

If I were the team ponying up that kinda cash, I'd want to be sure he'll be "fine" for the duration of that contract

I just think it's too great a risk, but you and others are welcome to feel differently

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

There's no guarantee that any pending premium free agent re-signs, and yet most of them do. That's why a premium talent hitting UFA is a fairly rare occurrence.

There's any number of reasons to be bullish on him re-signing. He's already signed one long-term deal with this team and didn't squeeze them for full value while doing so. He married a local girl and just had triplets. He gets along well with his teammates and with the organization. There's been zero smoke of any friction whatsoever, or of him looking to move on.

If you have a more alarmist perspective, that's fine. Maybe it will even prove to be justified. I don't see the Blues sharing that perspective, though. They'll make their pitch when the time comes, and if it becomes clear then that Pietrangelo will want to explore other options, they'll explore their options...pretty much just like any other organization would handle the exact same situation.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There's no guarantee that any pending premium free agent re-signs, and yet most of them do. That's why a premium talent hitting UFA is a fairly rare occurrence.

There's any number of reasons to be bullish on him re-signing. He's already signed one long-term deal with this team and didn't squeeze them for full value while doing so. He married a local girl and just had triplets. He gets along well with his teammates and with the organization. There's been zero smoke of any friction whatsoever, or of him looking to move on.

If you have a more alarmist perspective, that's fine. Maybe it will even prove to be justified. I don't see the Blues sharing that perspective, though. They'll make their pitch when the time comes, and if it becomes clear then that Pietrangelo will want to explore other options, they'll explore their options...pretty much just like any other organization would handle the exact same situation.

Let's speculate: Assuming what you said is true about his contentment in St. Louis, what type of extension offer would the Blues have to make to keep AP from exploring the market in 2020?

Best guess

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
What would Blues fans expect added to Nylander for a trade involving Parayko/Pietro? Assuming management decided they wanted a young forward which seems kind of unlikely anyway.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Why would NJ take an inferior product AND retain salary?
Didn't realize how much Allen was making honestly. Might change things on the retention. I like Cory an think theres a lot more there for him but if anyone needs a change of scenery right now it's him.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Didn't realize how much Allen was making honestly. Might change things on the retention. I like Cory an think theres a lot more there for him but if anyone needs a change of scenery right now it's him.
We are painfully aware of how much Allen is making and for how long :help:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
What would Blues fans expect added to Nylander for a trade involving Parayko/Pietro? Assuming management decided they wanted a young forward which seems kind of unlikely anyway.
There is nothing you can add to nylander for petro or parayko. We are not trading them. The blues problems are coaching, goalie defense. Offense isn't one. We need to stop goals not score them. Last time I checked nylander wasn't a tremendous 200ft player. So no thanks. The addition of for fixed our center issue.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Let's speculate: Assuming what you said is true about his contentment in St. Louis, what type of extension offer would the Blues have to make to keep AP from exploring the market in 2020?

Best guess
Who knows? Everyone thought his last contract would be in the $7-8 million range. He signed for 7 x $6.5 million. Very team friendly, and clearly below market value.

He'll want a raise, though, and the Blues will feel like he's earned one. At this moment I'd guess something in the $7.25 to $8.25 million range (which currently covers the #3 to #11 range for defenseman AAVs for 2020-21), but how he plays this year and next could easily impact those numbers. A Norris trophy, for example, would probably change the equation.

Karlsson and Trouba will have new contracts by then, but at the end of the day that range would probably slot him somewhere into the 5-15 range among defensemen. Seems pretty reasonable given his current resume.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Who knows? Everyone thought his last contract would be in the $7-8 million range. He signed for 7 x $6.5 million. Very team friendly, and clearly below market value.

He'll want a raise, though, and the Blues will feel like he's earned one. At this moment I'd guess something in the $7.25 to $8.25 million range (which currently covers the #3 to #11 range for defenseman AAVs for 2020-21), but how he plays this year and next could easily impact those numbers. A Norris trophy, for example, would probably change the equation.

Karlsson and Trouba will have new contracts by then, but at the end of the day that range would probably slot him somewhere into the 5-15 range among defensemen. Seems pretty reasonable given his current resume.

3 top defensemen just signed extensions this year; Doughty @ 11 per, OEL @ 8.25, and Carlson @ 8

I think at the very least AP is signing for OEL money. That's 66 million over 8 years!

Given the age of the player, and where the Blues currently find themselves among the wannabe contenders, I just think it's too great a risk

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
3 top defensemen just signed extensions this year; Doughty @ 11 per, OEL @ 8.25, and Carlson @ 8

I think at the very least AP is signing for OEL money. That's 66 million over 8 years!

Given the age of the player, and where the Blues currently find themselves among the wannabe contenders, I just think it's too great a risk
<shrug> I guess we'll see.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for him being traded if I were you, though.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111

So someone else would sign him for that same contract? What makes that team different from the Blues? A lot can change over 8 years on a team. So according to your premise, the Blues are wannabe contenders so therefore, they shouldn't sign any good players but play young kids so we can be cannon fodder for the rest of the league for 8 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad