Proposal: Blues Blow up it Up

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think a deal centred around A-Pete for Nylander could make sense for both teams. STL core as it’s currently constructed is flawed. They need a serious shake up. Jaden Schwartz really looks like he could use a change of scenery.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I think a deal centred around A-Pete for Nylander could make sense for both teams. STL core as it’s currently constructed is flawed. They need a serious shake up. Jaden Schwartz really looks like he could use a change of scenery.
I think your wrong. I think the system was flawed.

Reactions: TruBlu

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

It’s been 15 games. He had an amazing year last year until he broke a bone blocking a shot. He’s hurt again right now as well. I don’t think a similar winger is the answer with how bad our defensemen have played outside of a select few.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I would say at this point, Army is willing to listen to any phone calls before the TDL for core players who continue to under perform with the new coaching staff. From Jeff Gordon/STL Post Dispatch reporting on Army's presser with his own comments mixed in (take those for what they are worth).

Armstrong can expect much tougher decisions moving forward. He must find the right coach to inspire the players to come together, elevate their play and reach their full potential.

He should alter the team’s chemistry, too, by trading a key player or two and resetting the team’s leadership group. The Blues no longer harbor untouchables.

“We’ve stayed patient with the core group of players,” Armstrong said. “And that patience now is at its thinnest point.”

“I thought we made some changes this summer that would put us in a different spot than we are at this time,” Armstrong said. “We haven’t had consistent play from our top players, that goes without saying.”

If Armstrong can’t trigger a turnaround, then he could be the next to go. General managers only get to hire and fire so many coaches before their own reckoning.

Blues chairman Tom Stillman is not pleased.

“He’s obviously said, ‘If this group isn’t the right group, I need you to do your job,’” he said.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Make sure someone has this thread bookmarked. We might be coming back to it before too long.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
OK, now let's see offers for Blues players on the premise that we're blowing it up for this season - because I think at this point, it's a reasonably safe bet to say that's going to happen in some fashion.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It's already protected, so doesn't matter.

Good thing DA protected that pick. Imagine if Buffalo insisted and DA agreed to the trade with no protection. There would be riots in the streets of St-Louis.

As for « a core player trade » and me being a Habs fan, I don’t see many players on the Blues that fill our needs other than maybe Dunn but I suspect it’s also an area of weakness for the Blues right now so I doubt there’s anything to make out of it.

But, out of curiosity for other teams, is it too far fetched to say that Pietrangelo might be available and at what cost? (Example: 2019/2020 1st round pick, roster player (top 9 under 25 FW/top 6 under 23 D) along with a top prospect (LHD? RHD?)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good thing DA protected that pick. Imagine if Buffalo insisted and DA agreed to the trade with no protection. There would be riots in the streets of St-Louis.

As for « a core player trade » and me being a Habs fan, I don’t see many players on the Blues that fill our needs other than maybe Dunn but I suspect it’s also an area of weakness for the Blues right now so I doubt there’s anything to make out of it.

But, out of curiosity for other teams, is it too far fetched to say that Pietrangelo might be available and at what cost? (Example: 2019/2020 1st round pick, roster player (top 9 under 25 FW/top 6 under 23 D) along with a top prospect (LHD? RHD?)

Completely agree, it's one of the good thing that Army does.

For Dunn, I could see him being traded, partly because so many players aren't playing to their ability, and Dunn is one of them. Since he doesn't have a big contract, he'd be easier to move than others. It could be similar to when Army moved Johnson, but on a smaller scale. Just similar in the sense that it was sort of unexpected. As fans, we sort of suspect something will happen of decent size, it's just not clear what could happen since so many players could make sense to move.

LHD is an area of weakness, so if we move Dunn, we would need some sort of replacement in return, but a possible fix would be someone that is more steady defensively.

For Petro, I think it ultimately depends on what our chances of extending him are. If he has a high chance of signing, then there is no point in moving him, unless him being captain is truly the issue, and none of us would know that. If he intends on testing free agency or not returning, then unfortunately he'll be close to a Karlsson return. We can say that offers on here suck because they don't match his on-ice value, but contract situations matter. As for what we'd ideally want, I think Army needs to cleanup the roster a bit first. A middle 6 forward wouldn't be much help since it just makes more of a logjam of those sorts of players for us.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I doubt Dunn would be moved unless it's an overpayment. He's young and is exhibiting the same 180° in ability to defend. I'm a firm believer the Yeo company had completely shotgun'd this team. I dont think his value is very high....so when I say overpayment, I dont mean like a 1st+

As for Petro, all options are on the table

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
For one, Matthews alone is clearly worth more than Pietrangelo and Schwartz. For two, if Gardiner was willing to take that little money for that little term, Toronto would re-sign him. And he's definitely worth a lot more than you think.

I get the post has been edited but let's address this little nugget.

TOR is in a place right now where offense is solid, and they need to figure out ways to prevent 38 shots against every night. As they found last year, that doesn't fly in the postseason. Matthews for a young-ish 1/2 D-man AND Schwartz is extremely balanced, when you consider actual needs for both teams and largely ignore the TOR media self-fapping echochamber.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Most of us have said a Nylander-Parayko deal (with tweaks) works.

Right. Toronto just has a very big minority that happens to be loud. The minority of Leaf fans on this board is more than some fanbases have altogether on here, so there will always be a lot of crazy talk coming from that section.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Right. Toronto just has a very big minority that happens to be loud. The minority of Leaf fans on this board is more than some fanbases have altogether on here, so there will always be a lot of crazy talk coming from that section.
Ya...we've got some....extreme ? posters on here....:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad