Proposal: Blues Blow up it Up

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I get the post has been edited but let's address this little nugget.

TOR is in a place right now where offense is solid, and they need to figure out ways to prevent 38 shots against every night. As they found last year, that doesn't fly in the postseason. Matthews for a young-ish 1/2 D-man AND Schwartz is extremely balanced, when you consider actual needs for both teams and largely ignore the TOR media self-fapping echochamber.
Matthews...much like McDavid, shouldn't even be mentioned in a trade.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I get the post has been edited but let's address this little nugget.

TOR is in a place right now where offense is solid, and they need to figure out ways to prevent 38 shots against every night. As they found last year, that doesn't fly in the postseason. Matthews for a young-ish 1/2 D-man AND Schwartz is extremely balanced, when you consider actual needs for both teams and largely ignore the TOR media self-fapping echochamber.

1) Pietrangelo is a great defenceman. But he's more of an all around D-man than some sort of shot suppression wizard.

2) Pietrangelo is not youngish. He turns 29 in January. He's not old, but he's definitely in the older half of NHL D-men. He's also UFA in 2020.

3) Schwartz is great and underrated, but Toronto isn't desperate for wingers now. If you're addressing needs, you'd send back a good center.

4) Schwartz is UFA in 20-21.

5) The original post had Gardiner and Matthews going the other way. It was in no way shape or form fair. It didn't help Toronto at all.

Make no mistake, as a Habs fan who lives in the GTA, I know about Toronto sports media. But as a Habs fan who lives in the GTA, I'd like Toronto to make the OP's initial trade.

The current one is more fair, but completely unrealistic from a contract standpoint.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah agreed. Only Way we trade Parayko for Nylander is if Lijgren and Sandin are both involved. To fix the devastating hole it would create for us.

One would be enough, they are both very good prospects. We would then have to include one of our better forward prospects to balance it.

Reactions: RoarBacon

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
One would be enough, they are both very good prospects. We would then have to include one of our better forward prospects to balance it.
I have been watching the draft prospects rankings and The first round 1-5 are all considered NHL ready per one sources. Obiously Hughes would be out standing but the 4 guys below him 3 centers 1rw are pretty great prospects as well. The second round pans to be mostly LHD in our draft range 32-37 and in third round 63 -70 seem to be Goalies and defenders. They say the first 50-60 players in the draft are first round quality.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
holy crap you overrate Parayko...come on man. He's good but that's just ridiculous.
There eould be other moving parts as I stated before on previous threads. My idea was
Parayko kostin gunner 2nd 2019
Or
Parayko kyrou jaybo 3rd 2019

For nylander sandin liljgren

If we are going to decimate our core and over pay nylander I think we need two top four prospect dmen. Or just keep parayko

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Completely agree, it's one of the good thing that Army does.
Ish. I mean, had we picked top-10 last year and this year plays out the same, the Flyers would be sitting on the 2nd and 3rd overall picks before the lottery and gained our 3rd in 2020 because the '18 1st got deferred. [And if the '19 1st is gone, who knows whether the trade with Buffalo for O'Reilly goes through and how conditions apply there.]

As it stands, ... well, it depends on how this season and next season play out before we know whether it was a good move or not.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
But, out of curiosity for other teams, is it too far fetched to say that Pietrangelo might be available and at what cost? (Example: 2019/2020 1st round pick, roster player (top 9 under 25 FW/top 6 under 23 D) along with a top prospect (LHD? RHD?)
I think everyone could be available. And by that, I mean "there are no untouchable players." For Petro, I'd say the asking price is along the lines of what the Rangers got for McDonagh: a 1st, a conditional 1st based on winning the Cup, and two mid-to-high prospects.

If you're going roster players only, I think it's ... going to be really, really difficult to match up unless you're trading an upper-tier guy, which I don't see anyone doing.

Toast97

Jul 30, 2014
There eould be other moving parts as I stated before on previous threads. My idea was
Parayko kostin gunner 2nd 2019
Or
Parayko kyrou jaybo 3rd 2019

For nylander sandin liljgren

If we are going to decimate our core and over pay nylander I think we need two top four prospect dmen. Or just keep parayko

Regardless of whatever value these trades might represent in a vacuum, the Leafs aren't going to give up their two best D prospects in any deal.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
What would you have in mind? Would you accept a future 1st round pick in lieu of Sandin/Liljegren? I’m very high on both and see them as a future pairing for us going forward.
Nylander + 1st for Parayko + ??? Preferably a left shot winger with upside and decent value, outside of Thomas or Kyrou forward wise in the pipeline I’m not sure what else there is in the organization. Do fabbri or Schwartz hold considerable value anymore?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Regardless of whatever value these trades might represent in a vacuum, the Leafs aren't going to give up their two best D prospects in any deal.
I completely understand. I think that leaf fans should realize how decimating losing parayko or petro would be to our defense.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
What would you have in mind? Would you accept a future 1st round pick in lieu of Sandin/Liljegren? I’m very high on both and see them as a future pairing for us going forward.
Nylander + 1st for Parayko + ??? Preferably a left shot winger with upside and decent value, outside of Thomas or Kyrou forward wise in the pipeline I’m not sure what else there is in the organization. Do fabbri or Schwartz hold considerable value anymore?
So nylander and a first 29-31 for parayko plus fabbri or Schwartz? That's a crazy ask.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Yes. Considerable value, very very considerable.

and as to the future 1st round picks. No I don't understand what is too hard to fathom for a lot of people when we are constantly beating down trades based around either defenseman by saying we have literally nobody else that can log the minutes or come close to the minutes fairly competently.

If you are looking around Nylander and a first for Parayko, it makes absolutely zero sense for us. We need consistency defensively right now and I don't think Nylander is some sort of selke caliber defensemen who can help compensate from the downgrade of a very high end defenseman to Jordan Schmaltz or Robert Bortuzzo for the amount of time that either would have to play. Our offense is anemic at times because our whole team is completely inconsistent structurally not because they are bad players. The closest trade that would be for Parayko that could make sense for both sides would be Parayko + Blais/Kostin for Nylander + Sandin/Liljegren. This would also have to be done under the assumption that A. Sandin or Liljegren can handle 20 minutes a night in the western conference already. B. Our season in St. Louis is already pretty much over and we have the ability to see if either of the two can fit. C. Nylander essentially signing the same contract that Colton Parayko has and us being okay with the liability of the next contract discussion with him being even more messy than this current one is.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Yes. Considerable value, very very considerable.

and as to the future 1st round picks. No I don't understand what is too hard to fathom for a lot of people when we are constantly beating down trades based around either defenseman by saying we have literally nobody else that can log the minutes or come close to the minutes fairly competently.

If you are looking around Nylander and a first for Parayko, it makes absolutely zero sense for us. We need consistency defensively right now and I don't think Nylander is some sort of selke caliber defensemen who can help compensate from the downgrade of a very high end defenseman to Jordan Schmaltz or Robert Bortuzzo for the amount of time that either would have to play. Our offense is anemic at times because our whole team is completely inconsistent structurally not because they are bad players. The closest trade that would be for Parayko that could make sense for both sides would be Parayko + Blais/Kostin for Nylander + Sandin/Liljegren. This would also have to be done under the assumption that A. Sandin or Liljegren can handle 20 minutes a night in the western conference already. B. Our season in St. Louis is already pretty much over and we have the ability to see if either of the two can fit. C. Nylander essentially signing the same contract that Colton Parayko has and us being okay with the liability of the next contract discussion with him being even more messy than this current one is.

I get that we dont usually see eye to eye. I just wanted to commend you for calmly expressing St. louis' needs in a a trade for the millionth time. I just dont think certain Leaf fans understand the concept of team needs. I Guess they just believe that since the blues are performing badly, that we should be obligated to make a trade that only helps thier teams needs with out consideration for our teams needs. Any way, you conveyed what we need going forward.

I would also like to add that Sandin is a LHD and Liljgren is RHD. With Mikola and Walman both being close it would need to be Liljgren. I think the trade would have to be the following.

Parayko, Jaybo, Kostin/Blais
for
Nylander Liljgren

That way jaybo covers the cap difference and will be gone next year and Blais being more NHL ready or Kostin with more upside.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

You throw in Sandin/Liljegren and we'd put in Kyrou/Kostin/Blais. That would be a balanced trade where we both get a prospect to cover for the loss of the NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00