GDT: Blues @ Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I think so, to make it the nationally broadcast game. I could be wrong though. I may be thinking about next weeks game. Unfortunately, the Blues had the start time wrong too.

Pretty sure this game and the Red Wings game both got bumped up to national broadcast.

The schedule i put in my phone at the start of the season says 7:30 ET

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
I am guessing the Blues sucked again. Wonder if they are not caring right now to avoid injuries and giving up on Presidents? Tanking a bit to face the WIld?

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Just playing devils advocate...in this defensive system, he gets his stick in a lot of lanes, blocking passes and shots. Its possible he is doing more damage to his stick that he doesnt realize, causing it to weaken more often.
I would like to see them go back to wood sticks. Good enough for MacInnis, good enough for me.

If you've ever used composite, you wouldn't say that. The difference is huge and I'll never go back to wood.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure why we are automatically expecting to beat Dallas or Minny. Anything can happen in the playoffs.
Minnesota hasn't beaten us in 2 years, it's not hard to figure out why we should absolutely roll them.

I think most people realize Dallas will give us more trouble. I don't see anyone guaranteeing a win...

But as the 2nd best team in the NHL, we SHOULD be expecting to win in the first round. I personally hate the timid, worried outlook everyone here seems to have. We could hypothetically match up with the Oilers in round 1 and half of you would still be nervous about losing. If you want to constantly worry then go ahead but I'm not sure what benefit that provides at all. This goes for everything in life, not just hockey.

The doom and gloom around here is just stupid. I do agree there's things this team needs to do better (Petro does need to be better in big games like this, and the Blues need to start taking the puck to the net more instead of staying on the perimeter all the time). Hopefully the coaching staff can fix the latter. But, other than that, I still don't see a reason to freak out just yet.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Minnesota hasn't beaten us in 2 years, it's not hard to figure out why we should absolutely roll them.

I think most people realize Dallas will give us more trouble. I don't see anyone guaranteeing a win...

But as the 2nd best team in the NHL, we SHOULD be expecting to win in the first round. I personally hate the timid, worried outlook everyone here seems to have. We could hypothetically match up with the Oilers in round 1 and half of you would still be nervous about losing. If you want to constantly worry then go ahead but I'm not sure what benefit that provides at all. This goes for everything in life, not just hockey.

The doom and gloom around here is just stupid. I do agree there's things this team needs to do better (Petro does need to be better in big games like this, and the Blues need to start taking the puck to the net more instead of staying on the perimeter all the time). Hopefully the coaching staff can fix the latter. But, other than that, I still don't see a reason to freak out just yet.

After so many years of being a fan and watching this team fail year after year it's not surprising at all to see doom and gloom with the way this team is playing so close to the playoffs. We're used to seeing us not win anything so it's hard to be optimistic. It's not to say we can't do it, just that we won't believe it until the boys show us otherwise.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
After so many years of being a fan and watching this team fail year after year it's not surprising at all to see doom and gloom with the way this team is playing so close to the playoffs. We're used to seeing us not win anything so it's hard to be optimistic. It's not to say we can't do it, just that we won't believe it until the boys show us otherwise.

But not two months ago everyone was saying how different this team was and how we had never had one like it. Yet here we are people comparing this years team to previous teams.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
But not two months ago everyone was saying how different this team was and how we had never had one like it. Yet here we are people comparing this years team to previous teams.

That was when they were playing their game, they haven't played their game in a couple of months. If they're conserving energy right now, fine, I don't care about a couple of losses at the end of the season but they need to start getting back into their groove before the playoffs start. They need to start clicking soon or it's going to be trouble and a waste of a season.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I find it very telling that somebody started a thread on the main boards about people hopping off the Blues bandwagon because of this, and all of the fans of other teams have been saying stuff like "they still have 111 points", "these later games in the season don't amount to much, the playoffs will be the only indicator of who they really are", "teams will lose games at some point, especially ones that go on to win the cup", etc, etc. Basically all saying who the hell cares that the Blues aren't playing dominant hockey right now. And some of the fans are fans of teams who have won the cup before and have experienced this.

I'm personally ready for the playoffs to get here. I just want to enjoy the ride. If they lose, then I'll be pissed. Until then, I have confidence in them.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

Because 2 months ago we were 2 1/2 months from the playoffs. The closer we get the more people start to feel like the season is going to end.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Is there anyone left on this board that doesn't think the Blues are the worst team in the history of the league?
No I thought, they played a hard but sloppy game. It's a pretty unfortunate time to become so unorganized and unraveled. And it's hard watching what has been such a consistently good season, lead in too where we are today with only 7 days left till the end of regulation play. The one other scary thing to me is we have no more upper-echelon teams to play, so when we break out of this funk, we don't have a ANA, BOS or CHI to play at top level against before the playoffs start.

I know they'll come around again, but they have a lot of people worried for good reason. As this is probably their worst stretch of play all year, and pretty darn close to the worst possible time to get so far out of whack.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Even if we did play a top team it wouldn't matter because it's still regular season. Look at Pittsburgh tonight not starting anyone. No one wants to ruin their chances when it matters on games that are unimportant.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I find it very telling that somebody started a thread on the main boards about people hopping off the Blues bandwagon because of this, and all of the fans of other teams have been saying stuff like "they still have 111 points", "these later games in the season don't amount to much, the playoffs will be the only indicator of who they really are", "teams will lose games at some point, especially ones that go on to win the cup", etc, etc. Basically all saying who the hell cares that the Blues aren't playing dominant hockey right now. And some of the fans are fans of teams who have won the cup before and have experienced this.

I'm personally ready for the playoffs to get here. I just want to enjoy the ride. If they lose, then I'll be pissed. Until then, I have confidence in them.

I'm pretty sure that thread was sarcastic.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Even if we did play a top team it wouldn't matter because it's still regular season. Look at Pittsburgh tonight not starting anyone. No one wants to ruin their chances when it matters on games that are unimportant.

That means Colorado should be able to win fairly easily.

Colorado will be 3 points back with 4 games remaining.

Avs play:
Edmonton - should win
Vancouver- should win
SJ - could win
Anaheim - could win

Blues play:
Washington
Minnesota
Dallas
Detroit

All of which the Blues should win. St. Louis is quickly losing that gap they've created though.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
How often do passes bounce off our sticks...honestly it happens more than I have ever see. Can't corral the puck for ****

Now this is one complaint I agree with completely, we seem to be incapable of receiving a pass. More so then seems like is possible for professionals of their caliber. Hitch will address this issue before the playoffs start, at least I hope because it really needs to be addressed.

***** you stupid ass pietrangelo. How many chances do you ruin from blowing up sticks

I also get frustrated with Petro for this problem in his game almost all year now, but I think you might be overreacting here with this statement.

Last edited:

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I missed the game due to Sunday-fun day hockey. They've been in cruise control for awhile...Oh well.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, that thread was such a joke, honestly can't believe we made something like that on the main boards. Am I a little worried about the team's performance as of late? Sure. But I'm not panicking cause of a couple bad games after we clinched the playoffs. This team will turn it on in the playoffs, without a doubt.

CentralFan

Mar 12, 2012
Midwest
Also, to all you guests out there lurking (53 last I checked), you should register and come hang out with us. I promise we aren't all crazy and irrational when we lose!

I don't usually post because Blues games are blacked out on Center Ice in MI. I've raged about that for two years: how are STL games blocked when I live 450 miles away?

I listen on KMOX and read the boards to keep up. Days like today, when Blues are national TV, are wonderful. I'll chime in more, I did post a few months ago in the welcome thread so I won't post a bio here or anything.

I thought STL played better than I expected after yesterday's shenanigans.

Yoko Ono*

I see the Blues are getting ready for the playoffs, all the games count even if they don't want to play them.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Whole week as ass to be honest. I lost my job and the Blues played like absolute crap. God damnit.
I hear ya, I had terrible food poisoning, (don't ever buy the new Gyro kits from the Wal-Mart freezer section lol) that caused my ulcer to bleed, so lots of puking up blood, on top of having a heck of a time breathing because of a respiratory infection. Then this lovely weekend started lol.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Just finished watching on the DVR and reading the thread. Wish I would have switched the order and saved myself the trouble. Absolutely dreadful game for the good guys. I am very concerned with how this team is looking heading into the playoffs. You can blame some on the injuries, but teams have to play through injuries, especially ones who are supposedly deep.

I am curious how long people who aren't nervous have been Blues and hockey fans in general. The Blues have been a good regular season team several times before. They have never been a good playoff team. Seeing them choke time and again is frustrating. Seeing signs it may happen again on what is arguably the best team/year yet is worrisome.

Further, teams who win the Stanley Cup come in hot. I am not sure what it is about hockey that makes this so important. It could be momentum or a mental thing. Unlike football, it isn't super common for top teams to rest their stars unless there is an injury. They want the chemistry and momentum clicking in the playoffs. Blues don't have either going right now.

Last several Stanley Cup Winners records over last stretch:

Chicago '13- 9-2-1
LA Kings '12 - 9-2-1
Boston '11- 7-4-1
Chicago '10 - 7-3-2 but 6-0-1 over last 7
Penguins '09- 9-2-1
Detroit '08 - 8-3-1 but 7-1-1 over last 9 and 12-3-1 over last 15
Anaheim '07 - 6-3-3
Carolina '06 - 6-4-2
Tampa Bay '05 - 6-6-0 (no OT loss pts) but 15-6-1 last month
NJ Devils - 6-2-4

I'm getting bored so I'll stop there. With the exception of TB, all teams were over 50% point capture. The most recent teams were a lot more on fire. Blues have 4 games left. But right now we are 5-5 over our last 10. Barely .500 and we have not looked our best. This is by no means conclusive as a few teams hobbled in and won it. Still, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we find our form and run out the last 4.

Oh and in 2012 Blues were 2nd in the NHL in points. They limped into the playoffs with a 4-4-4 record and were swept by the kings in the first, which nobody predicted with 4 games left in the regular season.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Tonight, I did a trend analysis of the Blues season in 6 game blocks of wins and losses, i.e. games 1-6, 7-12, etc. The worst the Blues have done over any stretch of 6 consecutive games that I analyzed is 3 wins and 3 losses, a .500 record (this has happened 5 times out of 13 this season). The current 6 game block is 3 & 3, so not a serious cause for concern on its own. The overall trend however is a little more concerning. Over the whole season, the Blues are currently trending at 2.1 losses per 6 games, up from a season low of 1.6 per 6 games.

The more alarming trend applies to our scoring. Considering the whole season, the Blues are currently trending at an average of 2.4 GF per game, down from a season high average of 4 GF per game. Goals against have basically been flat all season, from 2.4 to 2.2 GA per game.

That our scoring has taken such a beating gives me great concern going into the playoffs, especially when scoring has traditionally been our Achilles heel in the post season. I suspect scoring trends downward for most teams as the season wears on, but I doubt it's quite the nosedive the Blues scoring appears to have taken.

I wish I was set up to analyze the other 29 teams in a similar fashion. If anybody knows a place I can download data sets of Wins, Losses, GF and GA, I'm all ears. I will nose around NHL.com some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad