GDT: Blues @ Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I thought we brought it at the end of the period. That's the kind of hockey you expect out of this team for the whole game, I know, but at least they showed up at some point, unlike yesterday and against buffalo. I fully anticipate them to be a totally different team come April 16/17. We have seen what they do when they are ferocious and tenacious on the puck.

I have to believe that we are just coasting in because we know we will have to win 16 games to win the Stanley Cup. It doesn't matter who we play, what matters is that we are healthy and full strength come time for games that matter. Steen is banged up, Tarasenko is banged up. The other contenders are dealing with players that are banged up. We know the team with health through the playoffs stands a better chance of winning it all.

Maybe I'm in denial a little bit, but I have faith in this team. You know, the one that pretty much everyone was so proud of and was saying they were the best team we had ever had just a couple months ago. They have it in them. I expect they will bring it back out in the playoffs.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
He does not break his stick every game. That is simply not true. I think Pietro knows A LOT more about these things than you do.

While I agree Pietro knows more than we do about his game and equipment, he really does break a stick just about every game. Shattenkirk, steen and Bouwmeester also break a stick quite often. Just so happened petro broke two today on great opportunities, and the last one led to an EN goal.

OCTA8ON*

Well since you know so much, please explain why it is incorrect.

I mean as a defenseman I never experienced similar problems and saw results as I improved my technique.

Every elite defensemen breaks his stick every now and then. You probably weren't hitting the ice hard enough. The blade is suppose to land 1-2 inches behind the puck in order to generate flex for the shot. Maybe that particular stick he was using was dysfunctional. That happens, which is why Easton, Warrior, Bauer, etc. have warranties that allow you to trade in sticks for new ones if these things happen, but I assure you that a top 5 defensemen in the world does not need to be taking slap shot tips from an ordinary person. That is completely ridiculous.

OCTA8ON*

While I agree Pietro knows more than we do about his game and equipment, he really does break a stick just about every game. Shattenkirk, steen and Bouwmeester also break a stick quite often. Just so happened petro broke two today on great opportunities, and the last one led to an EN goal.

Elite players from every other team do the same thing. People here don't seem to realize how hard they slap the puck. Breaking a stick is bad luck one way or another.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Every elite defensemen breaks his stick every now and then. You probably weren't hitting the ice hard enough. The blade is suppose to land 1-2 inches behind the puck in order to generate flex for the shot. Maybe that particular stick he was using was dysfunctional. That happens, which is why Easton, Warrior, Bauer, etc. have warranties that allow you to trade in sticks for new ones if these things happen, but I assure you that a top 5 defensemen in the world does not need to be taking slap shot tips from an ordinary person. That is completely ridiculous.

Petro more often than not is hitting wayyyy behind the puck, especially on the shots that snap his stick.

Also, it's pretty plain to me that Petro is not an elite shooter of the puck. He rarely scores on one timers, and when he does get one through its either in the middle of the goalie or ten feet wide. Steen is different he's got a wicked slap shot that he manages to control.

OCTA8ON*

Petro more often than not is hitting wayyyy behind the puck, especially on the shots that snap his stick.

Also, it's pretty plain to me that Petro is not an elite shooter of the puck. He rarely scores on one timers, and when he does get one through its either in the middle of the goalie or ten feet wide. Steen is different he's got a wicked slap shot that he manages to control.

Steen also breaks his stick a lot too, if not more than Pietro and yet you fail to bring out his technique. Pietro's technique is fine. It could be his particular type of stick that he is using. I know there are HUGE differences in the durability of sticks between brands and even brand models. In either case, I trust that Pietro knows a lot more about what he is comfortable with than anyone on this forum does. Please, give Pietro back the benefit of the doubt. After all, he has been playing the game for 20 years.

I do, however, agree that we shouldn't be panicking right now. The players aren't trying at this point because they don't think they need to. I guarantee that they wouldnt be playing like this off the opening faceoff for Game 1. Not a chance.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
Jeremy Morin surfing the top rail.

blackhawks_jeremy_morin_riding_rail_ani.gif

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Steen also breaks his stick a lot too, if not more than Pietro and yet you fail to bring out his technique. Pietro's technique is fine. It could be his particular type of stick that he is using. I know there are HUGE differences in the durability of sticks between brands and even brand models. In either case, I trust that Pietro knows a lot more about what he is comfortable with than anyone on this forum does. Please, give Pietro back the benefit of the doubt. After all, has been playing the game for 20 years.

Just to be clear, I think Steen also struggles at getting shots to the net, he's broken his fair share of sticks this year in similar fashion. I'm merely saying that the times that our guys break sticks, they are chili dipping the crap out of it. I'm talking if this was a golf ball the divot would lay over the top of the ball lol. I know a slap shot and golf shot don't really compare 100%, but I'm using it as an analogy of them coming down wayyyyy farther behind the puck than they are wanting to. Is it a matter of them trying to get too much on it and toeing the boundary between hitting one on the button and getting too much ice? I don't know, but it sure as **** happens way too much in my opinion. I'm not an NHL player. I'm not even experienced with hockey. But I do understand the mechanics of a slap shot, and you can clearly see Pietrangelo hitting the ice WELL before the puck, not the 1-2 inches you mentioned previously. Flimsy stick meet solid ice = snap our hopes and dreams.

Either way, the broken stick didn't have any effect on the outcome of that game. It only made the score look more on par with the way the game went as a whole. I don't really feel comfortable debating the broken-stick-gate any longer, I'm not qualified enough.

--------

Our final 4 games:
Washington
@Minnesota
@Dallas
Detroit

We know we are better than each of those teams. I think we can get on a 4 game roll to end the season and have a good amount of confidence going into the first round.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If we can't critique our players then why even watch the game?

Are elite players infallible?

Also Petro isn't hitting the ice 1-2 inches behind the puck.

Last edited:

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
If we can't critique our players then why even watch the game?

Are elite players infallible?

Seems like people always get made when this happens be it the players coach or GM unless it is the current whipping boy like Stewart was.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
For the record, I thought Elliott played poorly today. I'm not sure if that is an unpopular opinion, but I do believe Miller stops two of the three goals against.

Also, to all you guests out there lurking (53 last I checked), you should register and come hang out with us. I promise we aren't all crazy and irrational when we lose!

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Agree, but they play Dallas or Phoenix first rounf. They can get on a roll there. Also teams like the Hawks are built for more the regular season and will have a much tougher time this year because the teams got much tougher. The Blues are built for the playoffs. They are a tough team with a lot of depth and top defense and goaltending. They come hard on forecheck and backcheck. Grind teams out until they're black and blue.

How can you even say something like this when the Hawks have won 2 cups in 4 years and we haven't done anything other than in the regular season?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
For the record, I thought Elliott played poorly today. I'm not sure if that is an unpopular opinion, but I do believe Miller stops two of the three goals against.

Also, to all you guests out there lurking (53 last I checked), you should register and come hang out with us. I promise we aren't all crazy and irrational when we lose!

A lot of the people in here are actually Avs/Hawks fans (nice little perk of being a sponsor you can see the posters in here), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the guests are of the same.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Seems like people always get made when this happens be it the players coach or GM unless it is the current whipping boy like Stewart was.

Personally, I don't care who you are or what you have done. If I see room for improvement, I want that improvement. I particularly am hard on people I believe in. Case in point, Petro.

If that is a poor mentality/ wrong to others than so be it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Personally, I don't care who you are or what you have done. If I see room for improvement, I want that improvement. I particularly am hard on people I believe in. Case in point, Petro.

If that is a poor mentality/ wrong to others than so be it.

That's a fine mentality to have. It's a little sad to see people so easily criticize players that are easy targets, but choose to ignore flaws of our stars.

Backes needs to learn to cool his temper. Same for Steen, he's been throwing a lot of hissy fits since the break.

Oshie needs to stop trying to be too cute in the defensive zone.

Petro needs to learn to hit the net.

Ott is a blackhole offensively, he hasn't done anything for us except throw a couple hits and win some faceoffs.

Sobotka has looked off since coming back from injury.

Miller has had one good game against the flyers, the rest he's been decent at best.

Bouwmeester looks for the pass way too often when he's on the line, he needs to start firing more pucks at the net instead of trying the bank play or slap pass.

All our players could improve in some way.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Yeah I feel like Keith Jones doesn't have any bias towards the big market teams like Milbury. He gives a great analysis regardless of the teams playing.

Agreed. Keith Jones is a very good analyst, while Millbury is a ragalicious hack.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
That's a fine mentality to have. It's a little sad to see people so easily criticize players that are easy targets, but choose to ignore flaws of our stars.

Backes needs to learn to cool his temper. Same for Steen, he's been throwing a lot of hissy fits since the break.

Oshie needs to stop trying to be too cute in the defensive zone.

Petro needs to learn to hit the net.

Ott is a blackhole offensively, he hasn't done anything for us except throw a couple hits and win some faceoffs.

Sobotka has looked off since coming back from injury.

Miller has had one good game against the flyers, the rest he's been decent at best.

Bouwmeester looks for the pass way too often when he's on the line, he needs to start firing more pucks at the net instead of trying the bank play or slap pass.

All our players could improve in some way.

I pretty much agree on all fronts. Had not noticed the JBo thing though.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I pretty much agree on all fronts. Had not noticed the JBo thing though.

It's my only real gripe with Bouwmeester. I couldn't be more happier to have him on this team, but he seems to be very reluctant to shoot the puck when he's on the blue line. He is a safe defenseman by nature so I guess that's what factors into it, but I'd like to see him throw some wristers at the net. Too often he chooses to dump the puck along the boards or try and bank the puck off the end wall.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
I am pissed! I had it down the game was on at 630.... did they change time?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's my only real gripe with Bouwmeester. I couldn't be more happier to have him on this team, but he seems to be very reluctant to shoot the puck when he's on the blue line. He is a safe defenseman by nature so I guess that's what factors into it, but I'd like to see him throw some wristers at the net. Too often he chooses to dump the puck along the boards or try and bank the puck off the end wall.
Honestly I cringe when Bo shoots. To be fair, that goes for any blues defensemen now. I'd rather them take then wrist shot from the point then the high and wide or blocked shot that goes all the way to the blues net.

This team hasn't been in sync for some time now, but this doesn't mean team is destined for an early exit. We've seen what they are capable of. Last year they put on a physical game against LA that dallas and minny would not be able to cope with. If they change to that gear again, I don't fear our first rounds. With that said.......In really wish they would find that gear right now. Because if that's not then case then our game has been figured out and we're boned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad