GDT: Blues @ Avs| 9:30pm NBCSN| Sprinting a Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Not going to put too much into 1 game but I’m glad I stayed up for that one. Really like what I’m seeing from our forward group. Our bottom 6 may be a pain to play against. Thomas looked real good, if he can be consistent leave him there. Only forwards I think looked off we’re Perron and Schenn.
Krug looked a little timid in our zone but I’ll give him a pass for being new to the team with a new partner. Parayko is a beasts, man I love watching him make it look so easy. Don’t worry boys, I got the puck I’ll skate it out.Dunn and Scandella looked bad last night, lucky a couple of those mistakes didn’t end up in our net. Faulk played good in his own end but didn’t notice him offensively.
All in all a good 1st game, will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Isn't the saying you can teach defense but you can't teach offense? I really don't know what they say, but with ROR's work ethic, it doesn't surprise me that he is always in the right position; he probably studies very hard and takes his work seriously. Look, as I said I love ROR and hype him up big time anyone mentions him, but I believe that Thomas will surpass him eventually. Now whether that is because he's a notch better than ROR in the offensive and defensive category or because he is a ppg++ with good defense, that remains to be seen. He has one of the best mentors in ROR and I'm excited to see his development. But we definitely both agree ROR is amazing and we'd be in the shitter without him.

Agree with everything here. I hope Thomas can become a ppg center with the defense and hustle ROR has but that’s asking a lot. He looked real good last night, let’s hope he keeps playing like that all season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues held the Avs to just 1.2 xG so while Binnington was good, I wouldn’t say he stole it. The Blues were just the better team overall. Team defense was excellent.

EDIT TO ADD: Team defense on both sides was quite good. Definitely wasn’t a gong show like some preseason games can be. I was worried the first few games were going to be rough, but both teams executed well overall.
I'm not buy-in Dunn and Scandella perform. Dunn particularly looked really bad.

I dont agree our defense looked excellent. I count 3-4 times Avs player 1on1 vs Binny and he pull game savers. Result could be totally different if Binny didnt stand in his head at those moments.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
That was an awesome game! I thought everyone looked good to great last night. Sundqvist continues to be one of my favorite players and a real valuable piece for this team. The 3rd and 4th lines looked just as effective as the top 2 lines and Binner was a brick wall. Great way to start the season!

Reactions: Bendak

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I'm not buy-in Dunn and Scandella perform. Dunn particularly looked really bad.

I dont agree our defense looked excellent. I count 3-4 times Avs player 1on1 vs Binny and he pull game savers. Result could be totally different if Binny didnt stand in his head at those moments.

This was what I took from this game as well. Our forward group has me excited. Can’t ask Bennington to do much more than he did last night. Defense felt shaky, only time I felt comfortable was when Parayko was doing his thing.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
who the heck are we going to protect in the expansion draft :)
our lines 2 thru 4 just smoked Colorado's

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This was what I took from this game as well. Our forward group has me excited. Can’t ask Bennington to do much more than he did last night. Defense felt shaky, only time I felt comfortable was when Parayko was doing his thing.
I would add Bortuzzo too. He was really on top of his game. Only negative comes he fumble out that great scoring chance, doesnt have better hands. Tho cant ask too much.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I would add Bortuzzo too. He was really on top of his game. Only negative comes he fumble out that great scoring chance, doesnt have better hands. Tho cant ask too much.
I didn’t mind his overall game last night but can someone tell him not to close his hand on the puck? Feel like he does that too often.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
This is probably nothing and will be adjusted as the season progresses but I noticed a few times of Krug passing the puck to a teammates off side. I think I saw it twice in the brief 4v4 and thought it was funny, maybe more of a muscle memory thing from being in Boston so long

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I genuinely think you are just looking for defensive faults if you came away from last night sour on the D performance. Here's the shot heat map at 5 on 5:

20202021-20005-5v5.png

At 5 on 5, we allowed 11 total scoring chances, 6 high danger chances and had an expected goals against of 1.17. In all situations, those numbers are 16 scoring chances allowed, 8 high danger chances allowed and an expected goals against of 1.77. Those are remarkably good numbers against a team who was a top 5 offense last year and is expected to do it again this year. To provide some context, the average expected goals against per game in all situations last season was 2.66 and the lowest was 2.27. The average number of scoring chances allowed per game last year was 26.72 and the lowest was 22.99. The average high danger chances allowed per game last season was 10.88 and the lowest was 8.55.

We allowed significantly fewer opportunities than the league's stingiest teams last year and did so against a great offensive team. We practically eliminated half the ice at even strength. Look at the slot and in front of our net. There is one location where the Avs got multiple shot attempts and that area is shaded very lightly. That heat map and the underlying low numbers indicate an incredibly strong defensive game. The forwards played a large part in that, but you can't accomplish those numbers if 3 of your D are shaky. Dunn and Krug each had a couple gaffes, Faulk and Parayko each had 1, and Bortz took a dumb penalty. That's about it and it is exceedingly rare to play a perfect NHL game as a D man. Those gaffes happen in a 60 minute game, especially when you have D who actively push play forward instead of playing more passive. Those handful of gaffes were drastically outweighed by the number of times our D won races, stripped pucks, beat a forecheck, cleared rebounds, clogged passing lanes, skated out of trouble and connected on outlet passes.

Of course the Avs got a few good chances. You are never going to completely eliminate their good scoring chances and you are always going to need your goalie to play well to avoid allowing 3+ goals to the Avs. But let's not pretend like Binner was lights out and stood on his head. We are in great shape if he plays like that consistently this year, but that is also how you expect an average or above average NHL starter to play.

I'm not reading too much into 1 game. This could be our ceiling and other teams catch up to us as the season goes on. This could be a one-off. We could look even better as the season goes on. Trying to extrapolate from 1 game is silly in the NHL, but last night was a great performance. I still have concerns that the D isn't good enough at defending when the other team has the puck in our zone, but last night we demonstrated that we can be extremely successful by limiting the number of times the other team has the puck in our zone.

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I would think opposite. If you can play your system should be ready quicker.
I think it kind of cuts both ways.

I agree that teams that rely more heavily on system play that are actually mostly on the same page (either because most of the team returns intact and nothing has changed, or things just happen to be clicking early in the season) should generally have a better time of it early in the season.

In games where that doesn't particularly apply to either team for whatever reason, and early in the season there's usually a lot of teams that aren't playing a very polished team game, the advantage will probably lie with the more free-wheeling team.

I think the early season success of teams benefitting from the latter is more likely to be a mirage with regards to potential playoff success, but they always have the opportunity to develop their own team play as well as the season progresses.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Thomas only 12:41 and no PP?

I thought he was gonna have a big year. I know he had 2 assist but it will be tough to produce without icetime.

Will he get more icetime once Hoffman gets back into the lineup.
TOI was limited because the Blues were defending a lead most of the game, without last change, against a very explosive offensive team and he's probably the most exploitable center we have for other teams to match up against. He'll play more than that as a general rule.

PP time will be fluid. I'm sure they'll try different looks and packages, and whichever one(s) produce will be the ones that ultimately stick.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
My thoughts on game... It was a great game by the Blues. I am really glad to see that after not being happy with how the off-season went and having some concerns. It is early, and we have to keep this up as other teams get their sea legs under them. Overall though, it is an auspicious start.

The youngsters - Thomas and Kyrou were fantastic. Kyrou especially impressed me. He is a guy that I have often questioned for his possession game and defense. Both of those impressed me in game 1 more than his goal even (although that was a pretty, pretty play). Several times Kyrou used his speed to back check and disrupt a play in the neutral zone before Colorado could carry it in, often leading to turnovers and chances the other way. Plus, he was a main driver on some good possessions for the 3rd line with his shiftiness and increased strength. If he can keep that up, so as not to be a liability, it will allow him to stay on the ice and show off that offense we all know he has.

The new comers- Here I was less impressed, although I admit that could be confirmation bias. Krug wasn't bad by any stretch, but he did seem lost a bit at times, but I will readily chalk that up to being on a new team. The worst thing though is how he thinks he is a forward for extended periods at ES. He is not a good ES producer. I'd much rather have Schwartz up front as a forward than having to cover for Krug who is skating around below the goal line for an entire possession. D should pinch when appropriate, but than cycle back and do your job. Schwartz generally puts up more points, and especially at ES. I want Schwartz taking the chances at ES. Too many of our forwards are too good to be relegated to hanging back covering for a guy who just does not produce at ES.

Clifford , despite the goal was also less impressive to me. That line had really good possession, but he didn't seem to contribute much as the other two carried the possession. I'd much rather see Blias stay in the lineup when Hoffman joins. Clifford got the goal, but he actually flubbed the play seconds before. He got taken out by Kadri losing possession. Barbashev made the good play to go get the puck back and find Clifford. Clifford was only open because he was taken so far out of the play earlier, the defense forgot about him. Good on him for getting back and finding the open area. Also good shot. But any NHL player could have done that. Blais created scoring chances for himself and others while not losing possession.

Top Line- It was a quiet game for ROR, Perron, and Schenn. They were good defensively, but I don't think I saw them create anything other than Perron's crossbar. I have no qualms they will get going (although maybe not as hot as last year for Perron). So its actually good that we were as dominant with them being more quiet.

3 Stars -
1. Sundqvist
2. Kyrou
3. Thomas
HM: Binnington, Barbashev, Schwartz and Blais

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I genuinely think you are just looking for defensive faults if you came away from last night sour on the D performance. Here's the shot heat map at 5 on 5:

20202021-20005-5v5.png

At 5 on 5, we allowed 11 total scoring chances, 6 high danger chances and had an expected goals against of 1.17. In all situations, those numbers are 16 scoring chances allowed, 8 high danger chances allowed and an expected goals against of 1.77. Those are remarkably good numbers against a team who was a top 5 offense last year and is expected to do it again this year. To provide some context, the average expected goals against per game in all situations last season was 2.66 and the lowest was 2.27. The average number of scoring chances allowed per game last year was 26.72 and the lowest was 22.99. The average high danger chances allowed per game last season was 10.88 and the lowest was 8.55.

We allowed significantly fewer opportunities than the league's stingiest teams last year and did so against a great offensive team. We practically eliminated half the ice at even strength. Look at the slot and in front of our net. There is one location where the Avs got multiple shot attempts and that area is shaded very lightly. That heat map and the underlying low numbers indicate an incredibly strong defensive game. The forwards played a large part in that, but you can't accomplish those numbers if 3 of your D are shaky. Dunn and Krug each had a couple gaffes, Faulk and Parayko each had 1, and Bortz took a dumb penalty. That's about it and it is exceedingly rare to play a perfect NHL game as a D man. Those gaffes happen in a 60 minute game, especially when you have D who actively push play forward instead of playing more passive. Those handful of gaffes were drastically outweighed by the number of times our D won races, stripped pucks, beat a forecheck, cleared rebounds, clogged passing lanes, skated out of trouble and connected on outlet passes.

Of course the Avs got a few good chances. You are never going to completely eliminate their good scoring chances and you are always going to need your goalie to play well to avoid allowing 3+ goals to the Avs. But let's not pretend like Binner was lights out. We are in great shape if he plays like that consistently this year, but that is also how you expect an average or above average NHL starter to play.

I'm not reading too much into 1 game. This could be our ceiling and other teams catch up to us as the season goes on. This could be a one-off. We could look even better as the season goes on. Trying to extrapolate from 1 game is silly in the NHL, but last night was a great performance. I still have concerns that the D isn't good enough at defending when the other team has the puck in our zone, but last night we demonstrated that we can be extremely successful by limiting the number of times the other team has the puck in our zone.
If I am reading the map right, most of the chances by Colorado that are related to our defense (and even our forwards) largely occurred on the right side. Now, that also is impacted by how Colorado plays and the players on that side of the ice, but it says to me that if anyone had any struggles, the right side was it. That sort of flies in the face of the majority concerns defensively with our left side. Given Parayko and Faulk had the most minutes, I would assume the high danger chances most likely came against one or both of them. Granted, as you noted, all of this is low relatively speaking, which means they still played well.

This is an interesting trend to see. I will have to look at the COL roster to see how much of it was influenced by their personnel.

Reactions: simon IC and Bendak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad