Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Gunnarsson & 2014 4th (Ville Husso) for Polák

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
leave him alone pls.

So from what I'm getting Polak should play with Gardiner or Rielly someone who can make that outlet pass or the first pass since he struggles with that?

Yep, that's his biggest weakness. He can skate it out of trouble easily, but his outlet pass is a problem. I think Gardiner would be a great partner.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
leave him alone pls.

So from what I'm getting Polak should play with Gardiner or Rielly someone who can make that outlet pass or the first pass since he struggles with that?

You'll have a great pairing with either of those combos.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I like Polak, but he was pretty overrated around here. I won't miss seeing the puck hemmed in our zone for long periods of time with Polak and Jackman together. I really hope Cole gets a shot to start.

I agree. I'd like to see Cole get a chance. he improved his positional play and consistency quite a bit by the end of last season. I'd still like to see Leopold gone, and a feisty, tough defenceman added.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Sure hope Gunnerson's hip surgery went well and it's not something that is chronic and lingers

He is expected to be fine for training camp. Hip surgery is always a worry, but would really serious surgery have him back so quickly?

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
He is expected to be fine for training camp. Hip surgery is always a worry, but would really serious surgery have him back so quickly?

Hip injuries are one of the last things you want a hockey player to have. Anything that needs surgery should be be a concern. I am sure the whole trade is pending a physical though as most trades are.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
This. :laugh:

He has been on our third pairing because he is stuck behind Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. He'll do fine on your second pairing, Gardiner-Polák should look very good for you guys. In terms of finding the right partner for existing players, I think this trade works really well for both teams. Just surprised that there was a pick involved.

I was surprised also and thought it could have been an even swap. Good deal for the Blues, but the Leafs get a very good player with a lot left in the tank.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I like the deal but I am worried about our toughness at D. Our top 4 rely heavily on their sticks. I did just look at the hit stats for last season and Gunnarsson did alright with 166 hits (more than our top 3 combined). So that is good. With Jackman and Cole, we can have a really physical bottom pair, yet Cole can still move the puck. I hope this clears room for him to play finally. If Gunnarssonn is as reliable as Leafs fans say, it should allow Shatty to jump the play more as well. Overall, nice upgrade. The pick and cap retention are a just bonus.

I hate to say it, but with this trade and the draft, I am starting to get hope for this franchise. I dread July 1st when Stasny ruins it.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I like the idea that Armstrong is trying to improve The Blues to compete for The Stanley Cup. But Gunersson doesn't play much of a physical game-so I hope another Dman will be picked up and will be a tough, physical presence (AND will be able to skate and pass the puck out of the defensive zone), maybe if Leopold can be traded off? At least this can push Jackman's minutes down, so he won't be exposed so much, and can be fresh for his shorter minutes.

This is exactly what I am hoping Armstrong will do. We can expect Petro to get a little more physical next season, but it will not be by much and will be inconsistent.

Gunnarsson Shattenkirk is a soft pairing, so they would have to play with good two-way forwards.

The third pairing could be upgraded with some toughness and once again push Cole out or Jackman to the #7 Dman.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Cole and Jackman can be a physical pairing. Do we need to really go out and get someone and push Cole down again? Most physical D do not have good puck moving skill. The last thing we need is to break up Polak-Jackman for another version of them. Cole is a big strong dude who can pass and skate. I say give him a chance. I'd be down for dumping Leopold, and grabbing another 7th D. But Cole deserves his shot and is probably the best combination of puck movement ability and toughness we will find. If we wanted to get tough, it should have been with Shattenkirk's partner. But we need someone who can pass on every pairing.

GrandPapillon*

If the Blues wanted to now, they would be in position to trade Pietrangelo for any young center they wanted to build around and still have a well above average top 3 defenders.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
I like the pick but Gunnarsson? You're all going to hate him by November. Very weak, easily pushed off the puck, turn over machine at times, never been the same since his hip starting acting up. I've seen him get crushed in the corners when the Leafs would match up against a Boston.....

Be interesting to see if Gunnar can bounce back to his old play since he finally got hip surgery.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
This trade also likely indicated that Shattenkirk is going nowhere. Trading a RHD leaving only 2 on the team plus acquiring an ideal partner for him.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
It seems that many people around these parts think the Blues are softer and need to get tougher.

The obvious partner for Kirk is Gunnar, but they could be split. I am not opposed to keeping Cole, but merely outlining scenarios in which he could be the odd man out once again.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like the pick but Gunnarsson? You're all going to hate him by November. Very weak, easily pushed off the puck, turn over machine at times, never been the same since his hip starting acting up. I've seen him get crushed in the corners when the Leafs would match up against a Boston.....

Be interesting to see if Gunnar can bounce back to his old play since he finally got hip surgery.

Being on 2nd pairing instead of 1st will help him and also with a puck mover too.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If the Blues wanted to now, they would be in position to trade Pietrangelo for any young center they wanted to build around and still have a well above average top 3 defenders.

oh hell no. Would not feel comfortable with Jbo and Shatty as my #1 and #2

Leafspoison*

Congrats St Louis.

Your GM just fleeced ours ainec.

Gunnar was top pairing most of his time here and some would ague he is our best shut down guy next to Dion. But, when Dion struggles, its Gunnar that always bails him out.

If anything, the pick should have been coming back out way.

We just gave you a Jeep and threw in a spare set of winter tires.

Leafspoison*

What are you talking about?

Your post is filled with inaccuracy.

No one....ever.....hated Gunnar by November. You are making stuff up to look like we got the better deal...but we did not.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Congrats St Louis.

Gunnar was top pairing most of his time here and some would ague he is our best shut down guy next to Dion. But, when Dion struggles, its Gunnar that always bails him out.

You really know nothing about Polak do you? It was far far from a fleecing....

Leafspoison*

I think Roman was exposed a little bit this year handling the puck. But was a great Blues player and wish him well.

If Gunnarson is healthy he will help. But we are light now on the right side.

Gunnar can play on the right side.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Congrats St Louis.

You got a solid player coming your way, too. There's a reason this thread isn't a champagne popping celebration. Polak is a very steady, solid Dman who is strong as an ox and can skate exceptionally well for his size. You'll be happy with him soon enough.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
This has become the softest defence in Blues history only Jackman has any grit to his game. I am perplexed by this, maybe it will become more clear with another deal.

Gunnarsson is not soft by any means. Good deal for you guys.

Leafspoison*

You really know nothing about Polak do you? It was far far from a fleecing....

By fleecing I mean the extra pick. Should have been a player for player.

Polak is no better than Gunnar, who was first pairing for the last few years as a shut down D.

So you don't know anything about Gunnar do you?

He had the least amount of problems for the leafs and was dependable. More than I can say for the lot of scraps we have left with Reilly and Gards being exceptions.

Leafspoison*

You got a solid player coming your way, too. There's a reason this thread isn't a champagne popping celebration. Polak is a very steady, solid Dman who is strong as an ox and can skate exceptionally well for his size. You'll be happy with him soon enough.

We hope.

Ps. I wish our leafs were half the team St Louis is.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Congrats St Louis.

While we are happy with the trade, it is hardly a fleecing. It probably should have been a 1 for 1 or the pick going your way. But it is a 4th. Teams give away 4ths to negotiate with UFAs 3 days before everyone else when they have little chance to sign them. Its hardly worthy of calling it a fleecing. In Polak you are getting a very underrated D who is a physical freak as he is incredibly strong and still a great skater. He is a solid 2nd pairing guy, he was just stuck behind the two other great righties. Gunnarsson played first pairing for you as you had many youngsters on your D corp, but he is also a second pairing guy as well, and coming off of hip surgery. Its a pretty even swap player wise. Many St. Louis fans are going to miss Polak. While we think we got better, we are still sad to see Polak go. I for one don't appreciate him being viewed as a nothing piece by the fans of the team he is going to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad