Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Gunnarsson & 2014 4th (Ville Husso) for Polák

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Leafs fan coming in peace. For some reason people are thinking Polak is going to be on our top pairing with Dion. I have never watched much of Polak but looking at his numbers they don't scream at me able to handle top pairing duties.

Are my concerns valid or is there something the numbers don't show? I.E Buried by depth.
We never tried that here (because we have Pietrangelo so therefore we needed a lefty to be paired with him) but I really don't think it'd be a great idea to be honest. Polak just doesn't have the puck moving skills that seem to be necessary in today's game. He's not good with the puck. He is pretty good defensively, but that was on the 3rd pairing so he wasn't exactly facing top competition here. He's best when we can just play those lower minutes and focus on being physical on the opposition.

I'm not sure what Toronto's options are. Polak can be good on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, but I think he might be overmatched on the top line against elite players. This is pretty much just a prediction though because again we haven't seen it so I'm not basing it on anything other than my opinion.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
He was behind Petro and Shatty so he was buried a little bit, however I don't see him being able to handle top pairing minutes

We never tried that here (because we have Pietrangelo so therefore we needed a lefty to be paired with him) but I really don't think it'd be a great idea to be honest. Polak just doesn't have the puck moving skills that seem to be necessary in today's game. He's not good with the puck. He is pretty good defensively, but that was on the 3rd pairing so he wasn't exactly facing top competition here. He's best when we can just play those lower minutes and focus on being physical on the opposition.

I'm not sure what Toronto's options are. Polak can be good on the 2nd or 3rd pairing, but I think he might be overmatched on the top line against elite players. This is pretty much just a prediction though because again we haven't seen it so I'm not basing it on anything other than my opinion.

These are my fears as well. Ideally I would of wanted him on a 3rd pairing with a young kid like Rielly playing the weaker competition but for whatever reason people are speculating him on the top pairing.

It could work for some time but I feel Polak will get worn down and his play will slip.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He will thrive with Gardiner or Reilly on the 2nd or 3rd and you will all love him. His best hockey was with Russell. He'd hold onto the puck long enough to draw the forecheckers, slide it over to Russell, who would then have a ton of ice and he'd fly into the offensive zone. It was so simple, but incredibly effective.

Put him with a defensive guy or even just an average puck mover and tv sales in Toronto will sky rocket the day after Leaf games.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Also, I've read a few topics on the leafs board, and my god they are going to be shocked by how fast Polak actually is. Still can't move the puck for ****, but if he gets tired of watching his forwards do nothing he can and will skate it into the ozone himself and dump it in.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Also, I've read a few topics on the leafs board, and my god they are going to be shocked by how fast Polak actually is. Still can't move the puck for ****, but if he gets tired of watching his forwards do nothing he can and will skate it into the ozone himself and dump it in.

Polak needs a good puck-moving partner. He's not going to be able to make the quick transition pass most of the time, but he can carry the puck up ice pretty quickly if the opponent makes the mistake of giving him that room.

I hope he scores a goal in the first week of the season with his booming shot. Leafs fans will expect him to be a completely different player than he actually is.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
He will thrive with Gardiner or Reilly on the 2nd or 3rd and you will all love him. His best hockey was with Russell. He'd hold onto the puck long enough to draw the forecheckers, slide it over to Russell, who would then have a ton of ice and he'd fly into the offensive zone. It was so simple, but incredibly effective.

Put him with a defensive guy or even just an average puck mover and tv sales in Toronto will sky rocket the day after Leaf games.

How good was the Russell-Polak pairing you may ask? So good that I'm still pissed two or three years later that the pairing was broken up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's in Nashville today to find out if he is cleared to play.

Once he comes back, he should get a pass for the first handful of games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ah ok. Thanks. I will check back later :)

We do know he will be with Pietrangelo, so he'll be in a familiar role on the top pairing like he was in Toronto. I'm definitely intrigued to see how he does, since he was someone I wanted for that spot before we got Bouwmeester.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This might be end of Gunnars games in Blues so I think someway he deserves mentioned it in his own thread and not some random topic. Maybe circle will be closed.

OT, I think those new threads are bit annoying and breaking rules IF you cant use search method.

How many times you see new thread in Blues board and same kind of thread already exist 2nd page of this board.

There is reason why you write on officoal topic and not create always new one.

Reactions: Brian39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad