Confirmed with Link: Blues acquire Gunnarsson & 2014 4th (Ville Husso) for Polák

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Very big, strong, and fast. Tremendous athlete who is very strong positionally on defense. However, he lacks the ability to make the first pass. He has a rocket of a shot that is about as accurate as Fulton Reeds.

This. :laugh:

He has been on our third pairing because he is stuck behind Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. He'll do fine on your second pairing, Gardiner-Polák should look very good for you guys. In terms of finding the right partner for existing players, I think this trade works really well for both teams. Just surprised that there was a pick involved.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
I think Roman was exposed a little bit this year handling the puck. But was a great Blues player and wish him well.

If Gunnarson is healthy he will help. But we are light now on the right side.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
Reading the main board Polak is really underrated. He's a good 3/4 guy if paired with a good PMD.

Our defense just got a lot softer not really a fan of making an already non physical defense less physical. I understand the trade but out defense is pretty damn soft now.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'm going to miss Gunnerson. Him and Phaneuf really carried the Leafs. When they weren't on their game we were terrible.

During our series against Boston we had those two out nonstop because when they weren't on we were a mess.

Will miss Gunner but I'm looking forward to Polak as he obviously brings an element of grit that Gunner doesn't possess. Carl wont throw big hits

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We may have gotten "softer", but we definitely got better.

This feels like one of those trades that most fans of both teams hate, but in the end it actually helps both teams. The leafs needed a guy like Polak, and we got a much needed upgrade on the second pairing.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Toronto have also retained some salary on in the deal. LeBrun saying ~$200,000, which would even out the cap hits.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I like the idea that Armstrong is trying to improve The Blues to compete for The Stanley Cup. But Gunersson doesn't play much of a physical game-so I hope another Dman will be picked up and will be a tough, physical presence (AND will be able to skate and pass the puck out of the defensive zone), maybe if Leopold can be traded off? At least this can push Jackman's minutes down, so he won't be exposed so much, and can be fresh for his shorter minutes.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
We may have gotten "softer", but we definitely got better.

This feels like one of those trades that most fans of both teams hate, but in the end it actually helps both teams. The leafs needed a guy like Polak, and we got a much needed upgrade on the second pairing.

Not sure we exactly got better it's different makeup but I wouldn't say better yet. I think Gunner is pretty overrated on these boards. Polak is imo the better defenseman as Nonis and Armstrong agreed on with the added pick.

Not having to have Polak and Jackman paired together will be nice. We'll have to wait and see how things work out. I kind of liked the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk together. It's a shame it was never given much of a chance.

Yoko Ono*

This has become the softest defence in Blues history only Jackman has any grit to his game. I am perplexed by this, maybe it will become more clear with another deal.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Not sure we exactly got better it's different makeup but I wouldn't say better yet. I think Gunner is pretty overrated on these boards. Polak is imo the better defenseman as Nonis and Armstrong agreed on with the added pick.

Not having to have Polak and Jackman paired together will be nice. We'll have to wait and see how things work out. I kind of liked the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk together. It's a shame it was never given much of a chance.

I always have been and still am a huge believer in Cole. If he's actually given a chance I think he turns out better than Polak. That's why I think we got better. I don't think we got much worse on the third pairing if Cole gets Polak's spot, and we definitely improved the second pairing. Plus, let's be honest, Nonis is an idiot so I'm not surprised Toronto retainer salary and sent the pick our way.

GrandPapillon*

So, we pretty much have to call our second pairing Shatgunn don't we?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Gunnerson is definitely a player who won't do anything flashy: doesn't score much and won't play on the power play, not a hitter. But he's just solid defensively and is always reliable. Quite frankly I have no idea what we're going to without him on the top pair.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Capgeek is saying that Toronto has retained 20% of the Gunnarsson contract. That means he has a cap hit of $2.52m and will be due $5.28m over the next 2 seasons. Lower cap and cost than Polák.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
Don't really see what Armstrong is thinking as we now have a hole on the right side. We Still have Leopold, Jackman, Bouwmeester and Cole on the left. Now we added Gunner. Seems like a bad move unless there is a follow up trade coming.
Jackman, Cole, Leopold... All of these guys are "holes". The 2nd pairing LHD was a major liability last year. Jackman has lost his legs. Instead of filling a hole on the 2nd pair, now we have one to fill on the 3rd pair. Good trade.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I like Polak, but he was pretty overrated around here. I won't miss seeing the puck hemmed in our zone for long periods of time with Polak and Jackman together. I really hope Cole gets a shot to start.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Sure hope Gunnerson's hip surgery went well and it's not something that is chronic and lingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce