Prospect Info: Blues 2021 draft

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don't see any reason why the Blues wouldn't be drafting defenseman heavy this draft. Nothing in the pipeline is good enough to be a top pairing guy, and if Parayko is on a downhill progression, then you've lost your #1 d-man after letting another one walk. I don't mind drafting a goalie later in the draft, but we have so many goalie prospects currently, a few who look at least adequate to be a backup/starter, that I would hold off on losing a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I understand your position and I already acknowledged it in my post citing Binners 6 year extension(along with a decent stable of current goalie prospects that I didn't mention). My preference is also to draft a D in that spot but depending on how the picks before us shake out that may not be the BPA. Could very easily be another winger we don't really 'need' yet that might be the smartest pick. I understand having preferences but ultimately a lot depends on who other teams pick up till that point.

Exactly. Although if Binner is signed for 6 more years, that's actually perfect because it can take goaltenders about 5-6 to develop and if this Cossa guy reaches his potential, our goaltender position would be set for the next 6+10 years potentially. But yeah, knowing the Blues, there's a good chance they draft some random winger from Europe.

Reactions: TK 421

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I don't see any reason why the Blues wouldn't be drafting defenseman heavy this draft. Nothing in the pipeline is good enough to be a top pairing guy, and if Parayko is on a downhill progression, then you've lost your #1 d-man after letting another one walk. I don't mind drafting a goalie later in the draft, but we have so many goalie prospects currently, a few who look at least adequate to be a backup/starter, that I would hold off on losing a 1st or 2nd round pick on one.

The way I've always thought about it is, a goaltender takes about 5 years to develop, a defensemen about 4 years, and a forward about 3 years to develop so if you're anticipating a rebuild soon, start with a stud goaltender.

Reactions: TK 421

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The way I've always thought about it is, a goaltender takes about 5 years to develop, a defensemen about 4 years, and a forward about 3 years to develop so if you're anticipating a rebuild soon, start with a stud goaltender.

I think Ellis is a stud goalie

Reactions: BlueMed

Mar 6, 2012
I think taking the best player available is always the right move at the draft. Drafting to address immediate team needs always felt silly. Maybe if you have the #1 or #2 pick or something, but otherwise it seems a little foolish.

Who knows what you'll need in the 3-5 (or more) years it takes for these kids to mature.

Reactions: BlueMed

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think taking the best player available is always the right move at the draft. Drafting to address immediate team needs always felt silly. Maybe if you have the #1 or #2 pick or something, but otherwise it seems a little foolish.

Who knows what you'll need in the 3-5 (or more) years it takes for these kids to mature.

BPA is always the best way to go and I don’t think anyone is really arguing that. But sometimes there isn’t a BPA, but a tier of players that fall at the pick. Two or three or more guys who kind of are equivalent.

Then I think you take a position of need.

I also think another area of need is Sniper. We have solid playmakers. Neighbors, Thomas, Kyrou. Defensive forwards like Alexandrov. And a potential power forward in Kostin. But we need a sniper. Kind of a Mike Hoffman type forward.

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
BPA is always the best way to go and I don’t think anyone is really arguing that. But sometimes there isn’t a BPA, but a tier of players that fall at the pick. Two or three or more guys who kind of are equivalent.

Then I think you take a position of need.

I also think another area of need is Sniper. We have solid playmakers. Neighbors, Thomas, Kyrou. Defensive forwards like Alexandrov. And a potential power forward in Kostin. But we need a sniper. Kind of a Mike Hoffman type forward.
Really really wanted the Blues, if at all possible, to have drafted Caufield. It was going to take a lot, but I think with Vova's history, drafting a pure goal scorer and a damn good one since Laine would've been great for this team, even if he is 5'4

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If we would have traded at TDL Schwartz or Hoffman. We would have another 1st round pick + more for this draft.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
If we would have traded at TDL Schwartz or Hoffman. We would have another 1st round pick + more for this draft.

Thanks Captain Hindsight... ;)

So, what if we've traded one of them and barely missed the playoffs (like a couple of years ago). What if we did made the playoffs, everything goes well and we just barely lose a series... in that case Army would be lynched if he made that trade.

It is what it is and we will have to do with what we got. Can't blame Army for not using a crystal ball.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Thanks Captain Hindsight... ;)

So, what if we've traded one of them and barely missed the playoffs (like a couple of years ago). What if we did made the playoffs, everything goes well and we just barely lose a series... in that case Army would be lynched if he made that trade.

It is what it is and we will have to do with what we got. Can't blame Army for not using a crystal ball.
What are you talking about?

This Team is mediocre, bubble at best in paper. At start of season it was no-brainer we qualify to playoffs knowing how bad our di v is. We even failed to top3 spot which would have been certain and even Wild were better than us. Tells how poorly we played.

You dont need to look crystal ball. We played 3 good game at TDL when we were on the edge of dropp playoff spot so players play best games. Guess they were afraid somebody will get traded.

You really overvalue 3 games over half of season?

I say that is poor management by Army.

You dont assume what could be outcome at playoffs, you re-evaluate what you know. And 3 games isnt imo enough to prove we are Contender.

Wake up.

First aid 3 games.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
That trade st TDL would have been just small pieces for future. Maybe nothing special, but right direction. That is how you retool in fast way. Understood when to sell and view who stay and walks away for nothing.

This is just my view how to retool your team for better.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
What are you talking about?

This Team is mediocre, bubble at best in paper. At start of season it was no-brainer we qualify to playoffs knowing how bad our di v is. We even failed to top3 spot which would have been certain and even Wild were better than us. Tells how poorly we played.

You dont need to look crystal ball. We played 3 good game at TDL when we were on the edge of dropp playoff spot so players play best games. Guess they were afraid somebody will get traded.

You really overvalue 3 games over half of season?

I say that is poor management by Army.

You dont assume what could be outcome at playoffs, you re-evaluate what you know. And 3 games isnt imo enough to prove we are Contender.

Wake up.

First aid 3 games.

Don't exaggerate...

We weren't one of the top contenders at the start of the season but we still had a decent team. The NHL isn't like one of the European football leagues where one of the 3-5 best teams in a league will always become champion. The difference between being 'good' and mediocre in the NHL can be just a few injuries.

Besides the Blackhawks there isn't a single team that had as much missed man hours as the Blues and even a couple of players that did play did so being injured.
We never reached a point where Army felt comfortable to go fully in and spend picks/prospects for rentals, we also never reached the point to sell. And rightfully so, because we made the playoffs. Army probably expected the team would be more fit for the playoffs, which the team never did: Parayko still battled with back problems, Tarasenko gained a groin injury, Scandella and Schwartz battling with 'something', Dunn having a concussion, Perron getting Covid... What if these players were all 100% fully fit at the start of the playoffs? The Avs would still be a huge hurdle, but we would have a shot...

The LA Kings were in the same spot in 2013/2014 as we were in this season. They were one of the recent cup champions (like we are), but struggled a lot during the season and barely made the playoffs, also partly due to injuries. However, the difference is that they were able to regain their form and physique in the playoffs and eventually won another cup. We just lost more and more players...

TLDR: we underperformed during regular season due to never being fully fit. Army probably expected us to get back, or at least a lot closer to 100% in the playoffs... we never did.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
That trade st TDL would have been just small pieces for future. Maybe nothing special, but right direction. That is how you retool in fast way. Understood when to sell and view who stay and walks away for nothing.

You always take your chances and try to make the playoffs. If you think you're falling behind in a division and won't be able to claw back, then you sell. If you think you are just a piece away from a cup, then you add. I know this isn't difficult stuff Ransku, but you're being extremely uncharitable to the situation. We all know what can happen if you get in, and the Blues really can't afford to be missing the playoffs being a smaller/medium market team.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
You always take your chances and try to make the playoffs. If you think you're falling behind in a division and won't be able to claw back, then you sell. If you think you are just a piece away from a cup, then you add. I know this isn't difficult stuff Ransku, but you're being extremely uncharitable to the situation. We all know what can happen if you get in, and the Blues really can't afford to be missing the playoffs being a smaller/medium market team.
Even Army has said if he feels team isnt capable he will sell.

I guess Army saw we have chance which imo was bad re-evaluation of situation.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

Again you have to think in the perspective of keeping the team competitive. Even if the Blues lose in the 1st round, getting the playoff revenue is kinda key, especially in this post-covid era. I guess you could've sold, but with how long the team was injured, we didn't really know what we had. Before Parayko was hurt, we looked like a pretty good team, but obviously things change as the season progresses. Everything right now is hindsight, but you've been generally pretty low on this team the entire year so I can see why you wanted to get assets.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

What does this have to do with the Blues' 2021 draft tho? There are plenty of other threads to complain about Army's decisions at the past trade deadline. Are there any prospects you're excited about that could be available at #18?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Do me a favor and start an Anti army thread and then post this stuff there? Quit f***ing derailing the threads with your bitching.

It is getting old and tiring.

Would like to hear your opinion about the Swedes in this years draft. Or really any Euro prospect,

But the Toxic Army stuff feels almost like trolling.

Anyone know about Matthew Coronto? Nearly a goal per game player.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I haven't been following draft rankings much, so really have no idea where (or if) he is ranked currently, but Taige Harding could be an interesting mid round sleeper pick this year. Huge LHD (6'7 & 236 lbs) committed to Providence College next season. Had a very good shortened season for the Fort McMurray oil barons in the AJHL (Parayko's old junior team).

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Do you mean Matt Coronato from the Steel?

Don't really see a lot of the USHL, but his scoutingreport looks promising. He's a bit undersized, streaky and apparantly he could benefit greatly if he improves his skating a bit.

McKeen has him ranked at 13, but most scouting agencies seem to think he will go at the end of the 1st round or maybe even at the start of the 2nd. He will probably be in our range for the draft (we pick 17/18th or something like that? I haven't got a clue), I only wonder if there aren't better prospects available at that spot.

However, seems like an interesting prospect, although it doesn't really scream 'typical Blues pick' to me... but Dominic Bokk wasn't a typical Blues pick either, so that doesn't really say a lot.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
There's something about Mackie Samoskevich that to me screams blues draft pick. (Probably because he's a high I.Q. two way centermen with a ton of skill and upside). I really hope we go after Carson Lambos at 16 and then try to trade up for Samoskevich...... is it likely? Probably not but that's my dream scenario.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

He's one of the very few forwards that I actually like this year.

Excellent straight line speed(it's his skating stride and his first step that need work)
Very heavy shot with an absolutely nasty release
Very advanced defensive game
Absolute pitbull on the ice(his compete level and work ethic are top 5 in the entire Draft)

He's gone from being ranked as a 4/5th round pick at the start of the year to now being ranked as a likely mid-1st round pick.
On the ice; there's a LOT of similarities to TJ Oshie.
Off the ice; Coronato is a lot more mature than Oshie was at that age.

Reactions: Beauterham

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
What are your thoughts on Sillinger?

And JD, why Edvinsonn? I know he is huge, but he went from top 2 to mid round for a reason. There is some question about hockey IQ.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I like everything I hear about Lambos, with the exception of the injury concerns obviously. We really, really need a LHD who is defensively responsible. I think we all had higher hopes for Scandella. I like Mikkola a little, but not enough to rule out LD as a big need going forward. We badly need another Bouw type. It worries me though, as I feel like last year Army proved that he's more concerned with now and the safe route.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I expect we will again select a forward first. We seem to have organizational philosophy that prioritizes forwards in the first round. Makes some sense, as they generally arrive sooner to NHL and as such seem as prospects to have higher trade value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad