GDT: Blues (2-2-1) vs. Flames (Bad) | October 26, 7:00 MDT

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think Mitch Love would have taken the job for less than Huska

I don't think Murray cared either way because they both would be low cost options so he let management decide. Huska also played on the Blazers with Iggy so that probably helped him get the job.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
29th place in league standings right now.
I'll leave now..
tank-m60t.gif

Reactions: Tofveve

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
We traded away a first to get rid of a guy who would be tied for the lead in goals on the team. Sure it's early but my God the management of this team has been brutal.
Flames played Monahan through numerous injuries over the years which not only left him entirely ineffective on the ice, but tanked his trade value.

In contrast, Montreal shut him down midway through the season actually letting him recover and now are reaping the benefits of a health Monahan.

And then Murray Edwards decided that all the answers were in the room all along

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Sutter may have been a d1ck but looking at Huberdeau, Kadri, Hanifin, Lindholm and their puke worthy efforts night in night out, how can you not be.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Flames played Monahan through numerous injuries over the years which not only left him entirely ineffective on the ice, but tanked his trade value.

In contrast, Montreal shut him down midway through the season actually letting him recover and now are reaping the benefits of a health Monahan.

And then Murray Edwards decided that all the answers were in the room all along
Just a garbage disgusting piece of crap.

Sorry just had to say it. Man just pisses me off. Lowkey one of the worst owners in the league, and a garbage human being too by all accounts. Org won't see a cent from me while he's associated with the team. Especially not after the arena deal and that disastrous conference with John Bean. Tone deaf boys club to the extreme, and I'm glad other fans realize it too.

Last edited:

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
f***. Bean is a :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

I'm rewatching over and over. I feel like I wanna puke.

Last edited:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Came home from work, weathered the first. Finally checked the scoreboard. Deleted the game. Too many goals. Fun times at the O K corral. Now to read some of your comments :popcorn:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I haven’t felt this good about a tank in a long time, fire that draft thread up. I feel like Huberdeau makes us a worse team and he’s locked in

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
One of the conclusions I've drawn over the years from watching the league is that at the end of the day, the individuals and their talent level is not really the be all and end all, but it draws by far the most focus from fans.

We see time and again good teams lose their best players (thinking about Pittsburgh in their heyday losing Crosby, Malkin and Letang all the time) and being able to plug AHL guys in and keep rolling, or even Boston losing their top two centres and a top-six winger in the same offseason and not losing a step at all. We also see bad teams not make any significant roster additions and then suddenly have a great season (Flames 2015/2021, Seattle 2023). We also see great teams make lateral changes or appear to improve only to come in and be way worse.

At the end of the day, the factors of locker room vibe, chemistry and confidence seem to contribute way more variance than talent levels, and while fans always claim that these factors should be short-term and even out, it really seems like they tend to last through a season most of the time (coaching changes seem to be the only way to give it a real kick mid-season). This truth can make us think that a team is a sure thing in the offseason because why would they get worse, only to have them... get worse. It can also make us think that a team has no way out from their situation because of roster restrictions, only for the team to pull itself out.

Obviously, as a Flames fan, I was banking on these factors improving over the offseason, but it seems clear that if they aren't exactly the same as last year, they may actually be worse. But I think that the fact that these issues lead to team-wide disarray that makes every individual on the team look bad still presents the hope that, if fixed, we could see a jump in results like we saw across the 2021 offseason.

I still don't buy into the fact that the Flames are bad, therefore every individual player is as bad as they look right now. I don't think analysis of cases around the league backs up that line of thinking.

I am reminded of Gaudreau in the 2019 playoff series against Colorado. He took an outstanding amount of shit from the fanbase for not producing during the series, but the ice was thoroughly tilted against the Flames after Game 1. Gaudreau was getting the puck against the wall to go 1-on-3 over and over again, which of course led to turnovers. Lo and behold, when the team played in a way that had them moving and thinking together, Gaudreau's own personal production took a big leap and he looked just fine in the playoffs.

That, more than anything, is what I think is holding Huberdeau and Kadri back from producing the way they are expected to. It can't be a matter of "he's a 115-point guy, he should figure it out." They are guys who can exploit moments where the opponent is on their heels, but it is up to the team as a unit to create those moments. If your only opportunities entering the opponent zone are 2-on-2 or 2-on-3, it's going to be really hard to put up numbers. So how can the team start making decisions so that it's 3-on-2 or 3-on-3 with a trailing defenceman entering the slot at the right time? How can we make it so the guy defending Huberdeau has difficult decisions to make on the fly instead of just locking in and closing the gap while he searches for a passing option?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Confidence is king at this level and we have a room wide issue with it at the moment. Not only are they battling confidence issues on an individual level, but they clearly have no faith in one another, either. Last night was one of the most difficult games I can remember watching as a fan of this team and I have seen some very poor hockey played. They are a completely disjointed unit who are struggling to make even the most basic of hockey plays. I think it has bled over from last season where even when they were doing all the right things the results more often or not didn't break their way.

I don't know what the solution is. I don't necessarily agree that we lack talent throughout the lineup, but the cohesion and chemistry as a team simply isn't there. Every decision this team makes is seemingly the wrong one. Naming Backlund captain seems like a dire mistake. What the hell has he done to insipire his teammates? Why is it Nikita Zadorov being the voice of reason and taking on the media responsibilities?

Being a fan of this franchise is a fricken curse. Someone mentioned that apathy has started to kick in, and I couldn't agree more. I don't see why we as fan's should care, if the players themselves don't. Have some pride and turn this ship around. Last night was a complete embarrassment on every level.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Confidence is king at this level and we have a room wide issue with it at the moment. Not only are they battling confidence issues on an individual level, but they clearly have no faith in one another, either. Last night was one of the most difficult games I can remember watching as a fan of this team and I have seen some very poor hockey played. They are a completely disjointed unit who are struggling to make even the most basic of hockey plays. I think it has bled over from last season where even when they were doing all the right things the results more often or not didn't break their way.

I don't know what the solution is. I don't necessarily agree that we lack talent throughout the lineup, but the cohesion and chemistry as a team simply isn't there. Every decision this team makes is seemingly the wrong one. Naming Backlund captain seems like a dire mistake. What the hell has he done to insipire his teammates? Why is it Nikita Zadorov being the voice of reason and taking on the media responsibilities?

Being a fan of this franchise is a fricken curse. Someone mentioned that apathy has started to kick in, and I couldn't agree more. I don't see why we as fan's should care, if the players themselves don't. Have some pride and turn this ship around. Last night was a complete embarrassment on every level.
Don't forget that one of the few fun moments last year was seeing the Pelletier/Huberdeau relationship begin, so of course the one Flames player to suffer a long-term injury in.... years would be Pelts.

Reactions: deleted user

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

1:11:40 for Robert. "I've seen people with hemorrhoids walk faster than this team" and "I took a lady friend to the game tonight... she'll probably never talk to me again"

Reactions: deleted user

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad