OT: Blue Pants/Gloves

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Boy that’s an ugly logo. Seriously it has not aged well and was not great to begin with.

Also the black helmets, gloves and pants always felt amateurish. Like they could not get custom gear.
Black helmets and gloves looked so terrible. I’d like to see them try the maroon for this instead. Easy glove color. Helmet would look cool. Jus5 don’t go back to the black helmet. Looks stupid with the Avs uniform.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Don’t be stupid. I always been an Avs fan. I just don’t let my fandom get in the way of common sense.

You have a interesting way to show your support for Avs.
There is no common sense in what you wrote in regard to Avs logo, actually no sense at all. Except the thing the logo being difficult to draw for 8-year old, thats perhaps true. But you could say the same for many other logos, including RedWings or Blackhawks ones, which, given their original 6 stature, are both considered as much classic as Habs or Bruins one.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
The problem with our A is that it’s disjointed from the rest of the logo. Also using a letter is not super clever to start with but doing it 100 years ago gets a pass. At least the Habs and Bs executed properly.

One word, Seattle.

SD Avs Fan

Jul 1, 2019
The Avs primary logo isn't just great it is my favorite logo in all of sports. Why change a great thing. I do not like all of the blue in the current home jerseys. I would like to see a return to the black pants of maybe burgundy pants. I would like to see blue as more of a trim or secondary color. As someone else said there is way too much blue in other teams jersey's. Bring out the burgundy. I would actually not mind the Avs colors to be burgundy and black. That would look awesome together.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
You have a interesting way to show your support for Avs.
There is no common sense in what you wrote in regard to Avs logo, actually no sense at all. Except the thing the logo being difficult to draw for 8-year old, thats perhaps true. But you could say the same for many other logos, including RedWings or Blackhawks ones, which, given their original 6 stature, are both considered as much classic as Habs or Bruins one.
I can support the Avs without losing critical sense. I’m a fan, not a fanatic.

I like clean and clever designs. The Avs logo is not like that.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Letters aren't something to attack since so many teams have letters in their logos, and the logos are fine. How is the puck completely useless? It's literally the sport of hockey. It's being pushed down by an Avalanche.

This logo is much better than the third jersey and stadium series logos.
Using letters and hockey related imagery is unoriginal. It’s not the end of the world if it’s well executed. If it’s forced in the design it becomes a negative aspect.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
You all realise the snow is a C, right?
What's next? You're going to tell me there's a puck at the end of it? Seriously though I can't believe I never noticed that for years:
IvtTHWb.jpg

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Don't really know what else to tell you. You're clearly in the minority here.
It’s fine, I expected that I would get pushback on this board.:)

To push the discusion forward: I would like to know what makes people like it. (Other than sentimental value.)

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Home jerseys are fine with the blue but it needs to be a slightly darker shade.

Away jerseys are an abomination with blue pants, go back to black.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
It’s fine, I expected that I would get pushback on this board.:)

To push the discusion forward: I would like to know what makes people like it. (Other than sentimental value.)

I am not the biggest fan of the logo. It’s too busy and has very 90s centric design themes. I would prefer a simpler design. Hell, look at my avatar as I love the Stadium Series logo.

Having said that, I have tried to make a more clean, modern logo many times and failed. I have seen numerous attempts at logo tweaks and modernizations and they all fell short.

Is the logo perfect? Nope.

Is it better than 99% of other attempts. Yes.

There’s no reason to ditch the A now after 26 years or make all of your branding modern. The Avs are a 90s team so their logo is very fitting of when they entered the league. There is no need to change that or pretend we are something else. Look at most sports branding, ifs filled with teams who modernize their looks and then end up reverting back to their initial designs. Buffalo, Anaheim, Calgary, Arizona…

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Either that or maroon. Match the color of the end of the jersey. It’s why the blue looks ok with the home, it matches.

This is a false design concept. Black never matched the away hem. By that logic lots of teams should be in white pants to match the bottom of their away sweaters.

Reactions: UncleRisto

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I am not the biggest fan of the logo. It’s too busy and has very 90s centric design themes. I would prefer a simpler design. Hell, look at my avatar as I love the Stadium Series logo.

Having said that, I have tried to make a more clean, modern logo many times and failed. I have seen numerous attempts at logo tweaks and modernizations and they all fell short.

There’s no reason to ditch the A now after 26 years or make all of your branding modern. The Avs are a 90s team so their logo is very fitting of when they entered the league. There is no need to change that or pretend we are something else. Look at most sports branding, ifs filled with teams who modernize their looks and then end up reverting back to their initial designs. Buffalo, Anaheim, Calgary, Arizona…
I think we are along the same lines here again, if the Avs were to redesign.

• The logo in your avatar (without it being tied into the jersey, as previously) as the main crest
  • Keep the current logo as a secondary logo on the main set, perhaps on the pants and shoulders or something
  • A "throwback" third, along the lines of the current homes, or maybe mix it up a bit.
As you said, tweaking the current logo simply doesn't work. You could redesign a logo with a hint of the current logo, but why bother when there's already the Stadium Series A.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I can support the Avs without losing critical sense. I’m a fan, not a fanatic.

I like clean and clever designs. The Avs logo is not like that.

Thats just your opinion. I think its pretty clever in the way it actually manages to incorporate the "avalanche" into the logo itself, which is not easy feat, given what avalanche basically is. Its far more original and fitting the name of the team than the third logo, which is an inferior rip-off of Rockies logo. Yet the name of this team is Avalanche, not Rockies, even though some people around here would wish for whatever twisted reasons otherwise , and the only thing that connects Rockies to Avalanche (aside of Denver connection of course) is the fact, that avalanches happen in mountains.

And i am not fanatic either. I dont like current removal of black color in favor of blue, clearly as said above i dont like the Illuminati logo and the third uniform general. On other hand i was in favor of replacing the Yeti foot for the current secondary logo, i liked the Nordiques throw-backs and even the much maligned Stadium jerseys.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia

Agreed with the bolded.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
They are solid. I like NJ, Philly, and Chicago. And others.

Whalers was the pinacle of clean and smart logo design.

I like NJ, Philly, Whalers as well, those are some of my favourites, so we can agree on that. Chicago is great too.

What is not so great, how you try to pretend there are some objective criteria, why the Avs logo is shit. Like being too busy - i mean, Blackhawks logo is even busier with all the feathers and stuff. Or using letters - NJ logo is literally letters N and J, Whalers logo is literally W and H. But somehow those get the pass from you for whatever reasons (hint - they fit your taste), while its unforgivable sin in case of Avs logo to have "A" as part of its design.

I mean, its absolutely fine if you dont like it personally, its a matter of subjective taste. But lets not invent wannabe objective reasons why that is the case.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Thats just your opinion. I think its pretty clever in the way it actually manages to incorporate the "avalanche" into the logo itself, which is not easy feat, given what avalanche basically is. Its far more original and fitting the name of the team than the third logo, which is an inferior rip-off of Rockies logo. Yet the name of this team is Avalanche, not Rockies, even though some people around here would wish for whatever twisted reasons otherwise , and the only thing that connects Rockies to Avalanche (aside of Denver connection of course) is the fact, that avalanches happen in mountains.

And i am not fanatic either. I dont like current removal of black color in favor of blue, clearly as said above i dont like the Illuminati logo and the third uniform general. On other hand i was in favor of replacing the Yeti foot for the current secondary logo, i liked the Nordiques throw-backs and even the much maligned Stadium jerseys.
The thing is, just because the name is Avalanche the logo does not absolutely need to have an avalanche. It’s not clever because it uses an avalanche. Being litteral is not being clever.

But it can have an avalanche also. It’s just a matter of execution.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I like NJ, Philly, Whalers as well, those are some of my favourites, so we can agree on that. Chicago is great too.

What is not so great, how you try to pretend there are some objective criteria, why the Avs logo is shit. Like being too busy - i mean, Blackhawks logo is even busier with all the feathers and stuff. Or using letters - NJ logo is literally letters N and J, Whalers logo is literally W and H. But somehow those get the pass from you for whatever reasons (hint - they fit your taste), while its unforgivable sin in case of Avs logo to have "A" as part of its design.

I mean, its absolutely fine if you dont like it personally, its a matter of subjective taste. But lets not invent wannabe objective reasons why that is the case.
If you carefully read all my comments my opinion is a lot more nuanced than what you portray.

My criteria is clean and clever, for the most part. But I can appreciate a busy logo like the Hawks when it is beautifully executed. I’m not a monolith.

Using letters is not original per se, but if you put a clever spin on it like NJ and the Whalers do I will like it.

What I don’t like is doing a logo like a check list:
-Avalanche: gotta have an avalanche
-First letter is A, put that in (kinda looks like a mountain but not really)
-It’s hockey, gotta have a puck
-Shit we need something to pull this design together, why not an oval

Whalers is not a f***ing whaler with a hockey stick harpoon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad