OT: Blue Pants/Gloves

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
It can’t all be objective, obviously.

But if you think the Avs A is better than the NJ, man I can’t figure it out. A lot more work and care went into the NJ than the A.

As far as the oval goes I explained it have. It’s forced in there to make the logo « work ».

Thats just my entire point. Why trying to pretend that is not the case and coming up with wannabe reasons to denigrate Avs logo?

I do not think Avs logo is better (maybe very slightly, edging it cause of being Avs fan), i think they are very comparable. Granted, Devils logo is more abstract, which is a good thing, but as i said, thats because its infinitely easier to put "devil" into symbol, than "avalanche".

Regarding lot more work, what does that even mean? You have any background info how long it took to create both logos?

By your logic Oilers logo is shit as well, as it would not work without the outside circular outline either. But maybe, just maybe, its more integral part of the logo than is the circle in NJ case, and maybe the same can be said about Avs logo.

BTW, the only other avalanche logo i found is for Avalanche studios creating computer games.

https://yt3.ggpht.com/ytc/AKedOLTpJgcyyDY5O1BPZtI97cWaLOzOKlD5l0lDL8gnFQ=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Its simpler and more abstract than Avs logo, then again, its corporate logo. I dont think it would work as sports club logo. Not to mention the result of that added abstraction is, that its far more difficult to find the "avalanche" in there. If you showed it to me and had me to guess, what it supposed to mean, i am not quite sure what my response would be.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I know which one I like the best... but curious to hear other opinions:

fx42m57.png

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Thats just my entire point. Why trying to pretend that is not the case and coming up with wannabe reasons to denigrate Avs logo?

I do not think Avs logo is better (maybe very slightly, edging it cause of being Avs fan), i think they are very comparable. Granted, Devils logo is more abstract, which is a good thing, but as i said, thats because its infinitely easier to put "devil" into symbol, than "avalanche".

Regarding lot more work, what does that even mean? You have any background info how long it took to create both logos?

By your logic Oilers logo is shit as well, as it would not work without the outside circular outline either. But maybe, just maybe, its more integral part of the logo than is the circle in NJ case, and maybe the same can be said about Avs logo.

BTW, the only other avalanche logo i found is for Avalanche studios creating computer games.

https://yt3.ggpht.com/ytc/AKedOLTpJgcyyDY5O1BPZtI97cWaLOzOKlD5l0lDL8gnFQ=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Its simpler and more abstract than Avs logo, then again, its corporate logo. I dont think it would work as sports club logo. Not to mention the result of that added abstraction is, that its far more difficult to find the "avalanche" in there. If you showed it to me and had me to guess, what it supposed to mean, i am not quite sure what my response would be.
When did I say that subjectivity played no part in one’s appreciation of a logo?

What I did is point out a few objective principles of design that the Avs logo lacks.

What you failed to do is objectively explain why the Avs logo is so great in your eye.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
If we ultimately move away from the A into something closer to the Colorado Rockies esque logo that's on our 3rds, I'd be cool with that. I'd prefer not though.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
My only issue with the Avs logo is the lack of symmetry because of the puck. I’ve always found this way. If they could find a way to have the bottom part of the A visible it would make a world of difference. But with the puck covering that part of the “A” the Avs logo always looks slanted (which by the way is why the oval is needed. It balances it out. Any mocks without the oval makes it look way more slanted).

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
When did I say that subjectivity played no part in one’s appreciation of a logo?

What I did is point out a few objective principles of design that the Avs logo lacks.

What you failed to do is objectively explain why the Avs logo is so great in your eye.

i was not the one to storm this thread with claims how avs logo is great, because “objective principles”.

Which clearly are not so objective, if one logo can be “beautiful” despite not following them, while other cant, and your explanation to that is “because it has beautiful lines”.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
This is the best I can do for the Avs simplified logo. It includes a slightly darker blue to help with the contrast when you lose black.

Hi27VJg.png
Good step if you want to 'modernize' our logo, for sure. If they decide to do this, I think you also 'reset' and square up the A so it's more symmetrical, as well as the oval. Would give it a clean modern lines look.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is the best I can do for the Avs simplified logo. It includes a slightly darker blue to help with the contrast when you lose black.

Hi27VJg.png

I'm cool with that, I'm also cool with them just leaving the logo as is. I get that it's a holdover from the '90s, but I've always liked it and not everything from the 90s was bad (i.e., the Sharks original logo was really good too and they should go back to that, ditch the cartoonish one they have now).

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
My only issue with the Avs logo is the lack of symmetry because of the puck. I’ve always found this way. If they could find a way to have the bottom part of the A visible it would make a world of difference. But with the puck covering that part of the “A” the Avs logo always looks slanted (which by the way is why the oval is needed. It balances it out. Any mocks without the oval makes it look way more slanted).

If the A were actually symmetrical.

ZEbCc2L.png

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My only gripe with the current set is as such:

1. The "mountain stripes" are back but they don't end in the "peak" right above the nameplate like they did on the originals. I suppose if they could have done this, they would have, so this is a minor complaint at best.

2. Why they're not using blue to outline the captain/alternate captain patches on the dark jerseys is puzzling. The A's in particular look really washed out.

3. Add some striping to the blue pants, it would go a looooong way to make them look less like jorts.

4. I only notice discrepancies between the helmets and jersey colors on certain photos, it really doesn't show to me on TV. Maybe see if the two can be better matched.

Whatever the case, this set is light years better than the goddamned uniprons they forced on us during the dark years, so I'm really okay with this set. TBH I think a vast majority of NHL uniforms are good, about the only really shitty ones IMO are Los Angeles and Anaheim (they get my vote for worst uniforms period), while teams like Florida, San Jose, Winnipeg, and Nashville are just kinda meh.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad