OT: Blue Pants/Gloves

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Sorry I forgot about the 5% at the very bottom. I mean now that they’ve done blue with the homes, the black looks so out of place. I mean it doesn’t look bad but it’s not a natural look at all.

Nevertheless, its there. And its not a reason why current jerseys look better with black than without it.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Because it does look good, always did. There was no issue with that. There does not need to be any rationale to it, after all, its aesthetical thing, thats not always exact science. Either you have feel for it, or you dont. If you look at the away jersey from last year with black bants etc... and current blue abomination, and dont see how the former is right, while the latter is wrong, dont know what to tell you.

If you however insist on some rationale anyway, lets just go with continuity. It was there for quarter of century, its part of the identity, its one of the things that differentiates. Imagine Devils getting rid of black from their jersey and run with just red/white. But they wont, you know why? Because they are not f***ing Red Wings! Look how swiftly Carolina returned to black on their jerseys after short period with pure red/white ones... cause they looked like Red Wings! Do you want to Avs be another Montreal/Columbus/Rangers/Washington/whoever else?
Well all the teams you mentioned that went to black have much brighter red which goes with black much better than a dark red and significantly more black in their logo. The black with the white jerseys is better and I will agree the blue pants with the aways is just bad, but the homes should do away with the black since the blue makes it a more complete look.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
The pants and gloves for the Reverse Retro is burgundy. I wish they would try that equipment with the aways because the blue pants and gloves don't work with the away jerseys at all.

Reactions: Metallo and Barklez

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Because it does look good, always did. There was no issue with that. There does not need to be any rationale to it, after all, its aesthetical thing, thats not always exact science. Either you have feel for it, or you dont. If you look at the away jersey from last year with black bants etc... and current blue abomination, and dont see how the former is right, while the latter is wrong, dont know what to tell you.

If you however insist on some rationale anyway, lets just go with continuity. It was there for quarter of century, its part of the identity, its one of the things that differentiates. Imagine Devils getting rid of black from their jersey and run with just red/white. But they wont, you know why? Because they are not f***ing Red Wings! Look how swiftly Carolina returned to black on their jerseys after short period with pure red/white ones... cause they looked like Red Wings! Do you want to Avs be another Montreal/Columbus/Rangers/Washington/whoever else?

I think we agree for the most part so I don’t really want to argue the details but I will say there’s a big difference between the Avs not using black (burgundy as primary, blue as secondary, white) and the Devils (red as primary, black as secondary, white).

Doesn’t matter. I like the burgundy/blue combos. I liked black gear with the Aways previously but I suspect we’ve gone to coloured gear for the foreseeable future and that means we need burgundy pants with the Aways ASAP.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Mikko said the roads are trash :sarcasm:

about a min in

I'm not as down on the blue as others, but it's a weird look that it's the first question in an interview like this and the players probably don't like it. I wonder who makes these decisions and what input they get from hockey operations, the team, etc....

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I'm not as down on the blue as others, but it's a weird look that it's the first question in an interview like this and the players probably don't like it. I wonder who makes these decisions and what input they get from hockey operations, the team, etc....

"Well the blue pants and gloves look good with the homes, but we don't want to spend extra money for the roads..."

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
"Well the blue pants and gloves look good with the homes, but we don't want to spend extra money for the roads..."

Even if money is an issue, who made the decision to change the gear and what factors went into making it blue instead of burgundy for example? I'm just curious how disconnected this is from hockey ops and the team.

OxfordAvs

May 12, 2019
Usually team uniform is above the equipment mamanger’s paygrade. Uniform/branding changes usually fall under the responsibility of the marketing team and ownership group, with hockey operations essentially allowed a yes/no vote but not much input (i.e. Lou reportedly vetoed the Fisherman making a return for NYI). There was an article by Ryan Clark in the Athletic that talked about the a potential return to Nordiques branding several months before the Reverse Retros were originally released. It contained a good amount of pertinent information about team branding and uniform changes.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Is there some online template maker that has all the gear stored in it so we can mix and match until our hearts are content? How are y'all making the mockups?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The simple fix is to use their burgundy gear from the retro kit with the away set.
I don’t think the two vertical stripes on the side of those pants would work. They’d need a new set of solid burgundy pants IMO.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I don’t think the two vertical stripes on the side of those pants would work. They’d need a new set of solid burgundy pants IMO.
Like I said. Easy fix for the short term. However I do agree with you. I was just saying with the gear they have available. That seems like the best option.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

He didn’t seem to mind. He was on NHL Network’s version of the Today Show, they’re going to ask silly questions like that.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
By god, I'm not asking for certain posters to open the flood gates off of this, but to add on, I listened to Puck Soup today and Wysh, Lambert and Thomas Drance dogged on it. And my friend texted me and said they look like electricians.

So people outside of here are noticing that it's bad. But the homes are great and the adjustments are right there, so...

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
By god, I'm not asking for certain posters to open the flood gates off of this, but to add on, I listened to Puck Soup today and Wysh, Lambert and Thomas Drance dogged on it. And my friend texted me and said they look like electricians.

So people outside of here are noticing that it's bad. But the homes are great and the adjustments are right there, so...
I'll be honest here, the homes have grown on me but I just need the colours to match. If that means getting every player the same pants/helmets whatever, make it so. It just looks bad when the shades of blue are different.

The road sets, though. Dear god they are heinous and they're never going to work if they keep the blue pants.

Reactions: Richard88

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I'll be honest here, the homes have grown on me but I just need the colours to match. If that means getting every player the same pants/helmets whatever, make it so. It just looks bad when the shades of blue are different.
Doesn't bother me whatsoever. Only time I've paid any attention to it was when we discussed it here. I don't know.

The road sets, though. Dear god they are heinous and they're never going to work if they keep the blue pants.
Sure they are, why wouldn't they.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Doesn't bother me whatsoever. Only time I've paid any attention to it was when we discussed it here. I don't know.

Sure they are, why wouldn't they.

Agreed, the different shades of blue isn't noticeable at all during gameplay. It looks fine. Every team has minor color variations in equipment and we wont notice it AT ALL by the end of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad