OT: Blue Jays Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The one thing Kimbrel has not seen is this Jays offense. When we are on we are the best team at hitting the 95+mph fastball and we are very patient. These are the only real ways to succeed against Kimbrel.

Look at his FIP, xFIP and K/9 from like 2010 to 2015, it is pretty silly.

In the small sample of this year though he still has an insane K/9 but he is walking more and teams have found ways to get a few hits off him.

He is human.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
In a gutsy move, Farrell brought in Kimbrel with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th . Tulo drew a walk for the go ahead run, then Martin with a clutch 2 run single. Kimbrel has been so dominant this season (and for at least 2 years prior), I was shocked to see the Jays produce with him on the mound. Some awesome ABs today. Lots of patience and grit in fouling off good pitches. And the bullpen did (just) enough to get the save.

Stro show gets the start in Baltimore. Time to claw back the division lead

Stro against Wright is a good matchup.

Didn't need to use Osuna yesterday which is good too. A win tomorrow and Thursday is looking good. Still not sure about Dickey. Hopefully he finds his form.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Didn't see Gibbon's post game press conference today. I was curious why Osuna didn't pitch the ninth today. Odd that he would use him yesterday in a non save situation and not today. Wonder if there might be something wrong with him.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Didn't see Gibbon's post game press conference today. I was curious why Osuna didn't pitch the ninth today. Odd that he would use him yesterday in a non save situation and not today. Wonder if there might be something wrong with him.

It was reported that he has a blister on his finger that popped during yesterday's game. That's why he was unavailable today.

Osuna claims he will be ready for the series opener against the Orioles

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Hindsight is always 20-20 but perhaps the Jays should have kept Revere.

He had an OBP of .354 last year and we know he's an on-base machine. I don't foresee Saunders doing any better than Pillar in that lead-off spot.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The problem is Revere is bad in a lot of areas. He is an alright defender as far as range, but he has a complete noodle arm which hurts his value.

And he doesn't walk much more than Pillar. He does K a lot less than Pillar, but that's because he hits a lot of weak fly balls and grounders.

He does bring speed to the lineup, but I think we can add that in the playoffs with a couple call-ups.

Essentially, Revere basically hits a single 3 out of 10 times and the other 7 times he hits a weak ball somewhere and is out. It's tough to be a lead-off or an above average hitter in general if you can't even generate an extra base hit more than once in a blue moon.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hindsight is always 20-20 but perhaps the Jays should have kept Revere.

He had an OBP of .354 last year and we know he's an on-base machine. I don't foresee Saunders doing any better than Pillar in that lead-off spot.

Yeah, that was really tough. I think they were still really high on Saunders, also Storen was supposed to provide some veteran depth at the back of the bullpen.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, that was really tough. I think they were still really high on Saunders, also Storen was supposed to provide some veteran depth at the back of the bullpen.

Storen will be fine, a slow start is just the wakeup call he needs. I'd do that trade 100 times over and I like Revere

MPStoEberletoHall*

According to @TSN_Sports Osuna had a cracked finger nail. Ouch.

Roberto Osuna had blister pop on right middle finger on Shaw HR yesterday. Was bleeding as he finished game. Thinks he'll be ready tomorrow- Shi Davidi

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Stro show again!

Osuna pitched a perfect 1 1/3rd for the save.

If Dickey's knuckleball is jukin' and jivin' the Jays can sweep this series and leave Maryland in first place! :)

MPStoEberletoHall*

Stro show again!

Osuna pitched a perfect 1 1/3rd for the save.

If Dickey's knuckleball is jukin' and jivin' the Jays can sweep this series and leave Maryland in first place! :)
Let's be serious, RA will be s*** tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Why would you assume this, he can pitch just fine, he's just not an ace.

Thank you.

Dickey is a slightly above .500 pitcher. When the knuckleball is really moving he is unhittable.

He is in really good shape for his age and a good veteran presence on the staff who is a good 3/4 starter. No team can have a staff with five aces.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thank you.

Dickey is a slightly above .500 pitcher. When the knuckleball is really moving he is unhittable.

He is in really good shape for his age and a good veteran presence on the staff who is a good 3/4 starter. No team can have a staff with five aces.

Basically, the think with Dickey is that when, as you say, the Knuckleball is dancing, he looks like a beast, when it's a little flatter and hittable, you hope he gets through 4 to 6 innings without major problems.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Basically, the think with Dickey is that when, as you say, the Knuckleball is dancing, he looks like a beast, when it's a little flatter and hittable, you hope he gets through 4 to 6 innings without major problems.

That's why he is a 3/4 guy in your rotation.

If he goes 13-11 this season the team is happy with that and they likely make the playoffs. I personally think the signing by AA was a bit of a stretch. I was a little surprised the Jays picked up his option, but $12M gets you a middle of the rotation guy these days.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's why he is a 3/4 guy in your rotation.

If he goes 13-11 this season the team is happy with that and they likely make the playoffs. I personally think the signing by AA was a bit of a stretch. I was a little surprised the Jays picked up his option, but $12M gets you a middle of the rotation guy these days.

Did they sign him? Because I thought they traded for him, and I realize that it looks bad now because of DeGrom's emergence.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They traded Syndergaard and D'Arnaud for him.

Correctish. They traded for him on the condition he was willing to sign an extension.

He was traded before the start of the 2013 season with only that year left on his deal. His extension was for 2014 and 2015 with a club option for 2016 which the club picked up.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
My bad, well then Syndergaard's emergence makes it look not a good in hindsight.

It's like trading a pick that ends up being Barzal (even though we were not going to take him if we had kept the pick).

If Barzal ends up being a stud 1C, then it looks god terrible. If Reinhart becomes a solid #4, it does not look as bad. Or if Barzal busts and Reinhart is a regular NHLer, then perhaps it is a wash.

It is hard to predict young pitchers as well.

That being said, I don't think Noah's floor was very low, i.e. a middle of the rotation starter. It turns out he is closer to his ceiling now than his floor.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
My bad, well then Syndergaard's emergence makes it look not a good in hindsight.

For sure.

Syndergaard is a stud. His new slider isn't even fair. Basically unhittable.

Those types of trades seem to happen pretty often in baseball though, so I don't think we can be too sour about it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
For sure.

Syndergaard is a stud. His new slider isn't even fair. Basically unhittable.

Those types of trades seem to happen pretty often in baseball though, so I don't think we can be too sour about it.

Well I was thinking about, it's probably not even 50/50 that the prospect works out. But when that prospect does, it's looks worse in hindsight.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Well I was thinking about, it's probably not even 50/50 that the prospect works out. But when that prospect does, it's looks worse in hindsight.

Yeah, trading for prospects is always a risk.

Look back at the Price trade. Norris was the hottest thing (I think because of the hipster van and beard), but he's been struggling with injuries. Boyd is in AAA and doing ok. Labourt is still in high A ball.

Norris was the centrepiece going to Detroit. So it looks like the Jays didn't pay too much for the rental. I think most Jays fans are ok with the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad