OT: Blue Jays Thread (II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Am I the only one who watches Ryan Goins and thinks he's on the verge of breaking out and being a tremendous offensive player? I thought he improved a lot last year and he looks better again this year. He's night and day from where he was two years ago when he looked like he might as well use a broom handle at the plate.
My only concern with Goins is his defense lately, he doesn't need to be great with the bat but he needs be part of that dynamic duo up the middle with the glove.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I guess depends what you consider a tremendous offensive player. I don't think he will ever be a top 5 offensive player on any team he is on going forward.

But I don't think he needs to be to become a great contributor. He just needs to be adequate while still bring elite level defense in the middle of the field.

This is still Travis' job once he is healthy.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Guys injury prone and an on a steady downslope.

not sure what downslope your talking about, he literally has not committed an error since becoming a jay, and if his offense is struggling a little bit, whatever, ill take that trade off for one of the best defensive SS in all of baseball.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Rats. Its frustrating seeing the holes in the Jays right now. I hope the Pillar leadoff experiment is finished soon, and they really need somebody other than Donaldson/Bautista and EE to do something offensively. That said, there is still 150 games to go.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Rats. Its frustrating seeing the holes in the Jays right now. I hope the Pillar leadoff experiment is finished soon, and they really need somebody other than Donaldson/Bautista and EE to do something offensively. That said, there is still 150 games to go.

Tulo and Martin won't be black holes on offense for long IMO. And Saunders has been fine.

Travis coming back should help but he will need time to adjust again.

One of Cola/Smoak need to seize this job for good. I'd be rolling with Smoak.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
not sure what downslope your talking about, he literally has not committed an error since becoming a jay, and if his offense is struggling a little bit, whatever, ill take that trade off for one of the best defensive SS in all of baseball.

this is true. Didn't say I was unhappy with the guy, he's still doing his job defensively. I still make that trade again quite easily. Just don't think he's the same player he was even 2 years ago. Would just like to see more offensive from him. Silver Slugger days are long gone seems like.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
Tulo and Martin won't be black holes on offense for long IMO. And Saunders has been fine.

Travis coming back should help but he will need time to adjust again.

One of Cola/Smoak need to seize this job for good. I'd be rolling with Smoak.

It might be a little bit of a crazy idea, but if by the end of the month they are both still struggling I would cut bail with one or both of them (I would probably keep Cola just because he has a little more versitiality and can sort of play outfield) and throw EE on 1st, Bautista as a DH and roll an outfield of Saunders/Pillar/Carrera

MPStoEberletoHall*

It might be a little bit of a crazy idea, but if by the end of the month they are both still struggling I would cut bail with one or both of them (I would probably keep Cola just because he has a little more versitiality and can sort of play outfield) and throw EE on 1st, Bautista as a DH and roll an outfield of Saunders/Pillar/Carrera
Really? I mean I'm not a Smoak fan at all, but he is certainly solid with the glove. I do expect Cola to figure things out in the near future(he was solid last season) Smoak makes it tough though, since he is such a good fielder.

I honestly think they are going to be f***** next year when it comes to 1st basemen/DH. I believe EE will go to Boston.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Really? I mean I'm not a Smoak fan at all, but he is certainly solid with the glove. I do expect Cola to figure things out in the near future(he was solid last season) Smoak makes it tough though, since he is such a good fielder.

I honestly think they are going to be f***** next year when it comes to 1st basemen/DH. I believe EE will go to Boston.

I'm not sure there's such thing as being in trouble at 1B or DH in the AL. There will always be someone that can step in and hit a bunch of home runs that can't field.

Unless you think we lose both Joey and EE. Then I think we might be in some trouble, but more because that's a lot of offense to lose.

If Joey moves from RF to 1B in a couple years, assuming he's signed, then just need one of Alford or Pompey or both to emerge in the next 2 or 3 years as an every day outfielder.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
I don't get how bad half the team is hitting. Pillar, Cola, Smoak, Tulo, Thole, Martin. It's crazy, they're hitting like an average of .125, the season is almost 10 % over. that's 1st, SS, CF, C all hitting like absolute garbage.
it's unreal.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't get how bad half the team is hitting. Pillar, Cola, Smoak, Tulo, Thole, Martin. It's crazy, they're hitting like an average of .125, the season is almost 10 % over. that's 1st, SS, CF, C all hitting like absolute garbage.
it's unreal.

They're 5-7. It's April 19th. Nothing is "crazy".

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
it's unreal.

12 games is actually closer to 5% of the season than it is to 10% of the season. And every player in the league has a bad 12 game stretch on every season of their career. Just looks worse at the start of the year.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
this is true. Didn't say I was unhappy with the guy, he's still doing his job defensively. I still make that trade again quite easily. Just don't think he's the same player he was even 2 years ago. Would just like to see more offensive from him. Silver Slugger days are long gone seems like.

I think your probably right about the offense, but hopefully he can find his bat again, and prove us wrong. As long as his defense continues on at an elite level though I'm personally not gonna ***** about his lack of offense.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
12 games is actually closer to 5% of the season than it is to 10% of the season. And every player in the league has a bad 12 game stretch on every season of their career. Just looks worse at the start of the year.

If Happ wins tomorrow (which he should) and the Jays take at least 2 of 3 from the Orioles (which they should) then things are looking pretty good at the true 10%ish point in the season.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Let's go Blue Jays!

I'm in the middle of exams but I've been watching them lots this season. Actually really got into it maybe 2-3 years ago, and been following pretty fiercely.

Wish they don't mess things up by not retaining Bautista and Encarnation.

Pitching has looked good so far this season. Other than Dickey, the others are playing very well.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Jays winning a tight one. Looks like Happ is pitching a gem.

Who woulda thought that it's the Jays pitching that is helping them tread water and stay close in the AL East race?

When the bats wake up, and they will come around, this team is going to be scary good!

edit: boom the Jays added two more in the eighth after I started my post. Didn't think the bats would wake up that quickly.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Jays winning a tight one. Looks like Happ is pitching a gem.

Who woulda thought that it's the Jays pitching that is helping them tread water and stay close in the AL East race?

When the bats wake up, and they will come around, this team is going to be scary good!

edit: boom the Jays added two more in the eighth after I started my post. Didn't think the bats would wake up that quickly.

In a gutsy move, Farrell brought in Kimbrel with the bases loaded and 1 out in the 8th . Tulo drew a walk for the go ahead run, then Martin with a clutch 2 run single. Kimbrel has been so dominant this season (and for at least 2 years prior), I was shocked to see the Jays produce with him on the mound. Some awesome ABs today. Lots of patience and grit in fouling off good pitches. And the bullpen did (just) enough to get the save.

Stro show gets the start in Baltimore. Time to claw back the division lead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad