OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I’m curios how they handle this too. I don’t for a minute think these last two years are his fault and he deserves to be fired but is there any benefit to either side keeping the relationship going at this point? Maybe Gibby wants to keep hanging around collecting paycheques? At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me if Shapiro and Atkins are fine with the status quo. They don’t seem very proactive to me. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gibbons is extended or fired.

I think Gibbons has been on a rolling two-year contract since he got hired. Most likely cases is the Jays tack on another year during the off-season. Now that the Jays are definitely rebuilding I think an argument can be made for new blood. GIve someone a good long run to teach the kids and grow with them. It looks like a good three seasons or so before this team cracks .500 again.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think Gibbons has been on a rolling two-year contract since he got hired. Most likely cases is the Jays tack on another year during the off-season. Now that the Jays are definitely rebuilding I think an argument can be made for new blood. GIve someone a good long run to teach the kids and grow with them. It looks like a good three seasons or so before this team cracks .500 again.
Yeah, I think that’s what he’s on now. I remember Shapiro talking about it a couple years ago. He said he wanted Gibby to have more security because he had always been year to year (by choice apparently) under Anthopolous.

Seems logical for both sides to go in a new direction considering where the team is at but I’m not so sure it’s going to happen. Shapiro has seemed to me to be a guy who is satisfied with the status quo. Unless people are screaming for changes he seems happy with things the way they are. I’ll concede I don’t know if that’s him or Rogers. I thought he’d be much more proactive when they hired him considering he was moving to a team with a bigger budget than Cleveland had. Things may very well be different now that there’s no hiding that the run is over. Maybe Rogers allows him to put more of his own stamp on things now and that includes the manager. It’ll be an interesting offseason.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I’m curios how they handle this too. I don’t for a minute think these last two years are his fault and he deserves to be fired but is there any benefit to either side keeping the relationship going at this point? Maybe Gibby wants to keep hanging around collecting paycheques? At the same time it wouldn’t surprise me if Shapiro and Atkins are fine with the status quo. They don’t seem very proactive to me. It wouldn’t surprise me if Gibbons is extended or fired.
I'd keep him, might be the only thing entertaining for the next couple years.

Honestly though, I keep him. I think a young group needs someone who isn't afraid to yell and keep guys in check. They need someone with tough love.

Now if Gibby wants to stick around is another story.

Reactions: AM

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Now if Gibby wants to stick around is another story.

Why would Gibby leave?

He's relatively young at 56.

Nobody was beating a path to his door after his first stint with the Jays. Three seasons as bench coach for the Royals than managed in AA for a season.

In his six years of Round 2 with the Jays he will end up with a mixed record. Three winning seasons and three losing seasons. Two ALCS appearances.

Maybe another team wants him as manager. Don't see it, but you never know.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gibby sounds like he is done with the Jays.

Maybe he'll take some time off. You would hope he has managed his finances well enough that he never has to work again. Unlikely he gets hired to manage in the bigs again. It makes sense that he doesn't want to manage through a rebuild.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Gibby sounds like he is done with the Jays.

Maybe he'll take some time off. You would hope he has managed his finances well enough that he never has to work again. Unlikely he gets hired to manage in the bigs again. It makes sense that he doesn't want to manage through a rebuild.
I had to roll my eyes when I read the line about the Jays, for the second straight season, did not live up to the high standards set by the teams front office. If Shapiro and Atkins seriously believed the teams they’ve put together in the last two years were good enough to be competitive then they’re the two most incompetent men in baseball.

I agree, it looks like Gibbons is done in Toronto. I wondered if he wanted to stay knowing what the future looks like. I like him and I’ll miss him.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I agree, it looks like Gibbons is done in Toronto. I wondered if he wanted to stay knowing what the future looks like. I like him and I’ll miss him.

Yeah. Gibbons is ok. Not my favourite but I see why people like him.

Ultimately he will go down as a guy that couldn't close the deal. The Jays had a real window in 2015 and 2016.

I think Rogers made a mistake bringing Shapiro in and canning AA after the 2015 season. That's secondary to the manager but still important.

Hopefully whoever the manager and GM are that guide the team through this rebuild are allowed to see it to its end.

BleedingOil

Dec 4, 2006
Edmonton
Gibby will get a bench coach role somewhere at the very least if he wants it. Shapiro n Atkins will be here through the rebuild

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gibby will get a bench coach role somewhere at the very least if he wants it. Shapiro n Atkins will be here through the rebuild

My guess is if Gibby works next season he will do so as a manager in the majors.

Bench coach at the very least? I would suspect the writing is on the wall for Gibby never managing in the bigs again. A career record sub .500 with a couple playoff appearances in over a decade in the majors doesn't make for a hot managerial candidate. You never know, but I'll be really shocked if anyone in the majors looks at bringing Gibbons in to manage their team.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
My guess is if Gibby works next season he will do so as a manager in the majors.

Bench coach at the very least? I would suspect the writing is on the wall for Gibby never managing in the bigs again. A career record sub .500 with a couple playoff appearances in over a decade in the majors doesn't make for a hot managerial candidate. You never know, but I'll be really shocked if anyone in the majors looks at bringing Gibbons in to manage their team.
Bench coach is different from manager. I could see a manager giving him a bench coach role for sure.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Bench coach is different from manager. I could see a manager giving him a bench coach role for sure.

I get that. I just don't see Gibby wanting the job.

Bench coach in the bigs would pay more than managing in the minors. He was bench coach for the Royals for three years after his first stint with the Jays. Then he managed for a year in double A before the Jays brought him back.

Seems like he is the kind of guy who would prefer to be in charge at a lower level. No facts, just a guess though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I get that. I just don't see Gibby wanting the job.

Bench coach in the bigs would pay more than managing in the minors. He was bench coach for the Royals for three years after his first stint with the Jays. Then he managed for a year in double A before the Jays brought him back.

Seems like he is the kind of guy who would prefer to be in charge at a lower level. No facts, just a guess though.
Gibby was a much younger man when he left the Jays the first time. He probably didn’t mind managing in the minors then, seeing it as a step to get another shot in the majors. That he specifically says he wouldn’t have the patience to manage a young rebuilding team leads me to believe he wouldn’t be interested in managing a minor league team. Unlike you, I do think it’s possible he could get another manager job in MLB but I think it wouldn’t be with a contender. It would be with a team similar to what the Jays are. He says he isn’t interested in that so I guess that leaves us with a bench job or a base coach with a good team.

Maybe he gets bored sitting at home for a year, re-energizes and decides he wants to do one of the above jobs but I doubt it happens next year. The other thing to consider is that his comments were just posturing to get a new deal. This might be about him not wanting to be a lame duck manager in the final year of his contract with a team that might lose 100 games. Maybe a little more security buys him more “patience”.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Gibby was a much younger man when he left the Jays the first time. He probably didn’t mind managing in the minors then, seeing it as a step to get another shot in the majors. That he specifically says he wouldn’t have the patience to manage a young rebuilding team leads me to believe he wouldn’t be interested in managing a minor league team. Unlike you, I do think it’s possible he could get another manager job in MLB but I think it wouldn’t be with a contender. It would be with a team similar to what the Jays are. He says he isn’t interested in that so I guess that leaves us with a bench job or a base coach with a good team.

Agreed that a contender wouldn't want to hire him.

I just don't see why a team would hire him. AA built a pretty solid team and Gibby couldn't get them over the line. There is nothing in his record that would lead to teams who don't know him well to hire him. The Royals and Padres both know him, but both teams are likely facing more of a rebuild than the Jays.

Gibby's resume doesn't seem like the guy to push a team over the top.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Agreed that a contender wouldn't want to hire him.

I just don't see why a team would hire him. AA built a pretty solid team and Gibby couldn't get them over the line. There is nothing in his record that would lead to teams who don't know him well to hire him. The Royals and Padres both know him, but both teams are likely facing more of a rebuild than the Jays.

Gibby's resume doesn't seem like the guy to push a team over the top.
Those teams weren’t World Series Calibre teams. They were good enough to get where they got but no further. They could mash homeruns but couldn’t create much outside from that. Those types of teams struggle in October when the weather gets colder and the air gets heavier. It was no accident they played their best games in both of those years in Texas where the weather was still hot. They even struggled at home with the dome closed. You’re over-rating the team and blaming Gibbons when his lineup was flawed. We spent a lot of time during those post seasons ripping on the players for not doing anything to try to create offense outside the homerun. What we saw after those runs is that’s what those players were. Just a bunch of guys trying to hit home runs. How is that Gibbons fault if the lineups he’s given are one dimensional? It also wasn’t his fault that Cecil got hurt and Loup had a family emergency and had to leave the team. How does any manager beat a good team without any left handed relievers? Like I said, he had a good team but the roster was too flawed to beat the best.

Reactions: BleedingOil

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
How is that Gibbons fault if the lineups he’s given are one dimensional? It also wasn’t his fault that Cecil got hurt and Loup had a family emergency and had to leave the team. How does any manager beat a good team without any left handed relievers? Like I said, he had a good team but the roster was too flawed to beat the best.

Lots of excuses. Not saying the losses were all on Gibby. Just don't see anything in what he has done that would lead another team to want to hire him.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A lot of under achievers for Gibby to work with and a few that have talent are already beyond their prime.

We know the Jays were never a team as of late to rely on their pitching either.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gibby has had the short end of the stick for years. Every year this team had expectations that just weren't realistic.

Thankfully for Gibby there is only one team in Canada, so he should get some looks elsewhere. Places that could actually look at what the Jays really were.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A text to lowetide

"I don't understand how baseball waivers work. In hockey some french guy tweets out what's going on"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Blue Jays right-hander has been on the disabled list since June 23 with a contustion on the finger, which happened when he got it stuck in his luggage during the team's trip to Los Angeles.
"I didn't want to say it then because I saw (Royals catcher) Salvador Perez go down with the same injury and I didn't want to get laughed at and it was probably none of (the media's) business how it happened," Sanchez said before Toronto's game against the Orioles at Rogers Centre on Wednesday afternoon.
"It got stuck in my suitcase and it started falling. It happened all in a span of about 30 seconds. I said 'ow,' and my knuckle got super fat. I pitched that day, probably didn't help, but it was the first time I was going to pitch in front of my family as a professional and I wanted to see what I could do."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seems about right

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Blue Jays right-hander has been on the disabled list since June 23 with a contustion on the finger, which happened when he got it stuck in his luggage during the team's trip to Los Angeles.
"I didn't want to say it then because I saw (Royals catcher) Salvador Perez go down with the same injury and I didn't want to get laughed at and it was probably none of (the media's) business how it happened," Sanchez said before Toronto's game against the Orioles at Rogers Centre on Wednesday afternoon.
"It got stuck in my suitcase and it started falling. It happened all in a span of about 30 seconds. I said 'ow,' and my knuckle got super fat. I pitched that day, probably didn't help, but it was the first time I was going to pitch in front of my family as a professional and I wanted to see what I could do."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seems about right
Sigh... This was the guy the team considered throwing their post season chances away on a couple years ago to try to keep him healthy for the future. It kind of reminds me of the safety meetings we used to have at work about ten years ago when common sense started taking a back seat to dreaming up ways to protect people from themselves. No matter what you do you can’t prevent stupid.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sigh... This was the guy the team considered throwing their post season chances away on a couple years ago to try to keep him healthy for the future. It kind of reminds me of the safety meetings we used to have at work about ten years ago when common sense started taking a back seat to dreaming up ways to protect people from themselves. No matter what you do you can’t prevent stupid.
Struds sure went off on the Nationals for this same thing with Strasburg.

I just keep thinking about Robert Griffin.

Then again as a coach/gm you are paid to be making those tough decisions. Real high risk, but real high reward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad