OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Edwin only has 21 homers this season. I'm waiting for them to get another pitcher or another heavy hitter soon. They may be ready to buy another Championship team.

The salary cap in the mlb is awesome.

A few other top teams will add depth as well eventually.
21 leads the AL this year. The only guy in that line up who can't hit 20 over a full season is LeMahieu. Andujar might be out for the year but the Yankees have played the entire season so far without Judge, Stanton,and Didi who just returned to the lineup. They might look to trade Frazier for pitching help but they've also been missing their ace and one of their best relievers in Severino and Betances all year. If Happ and Paxton can find some consistency to go with Sevy Tanaka German and CC then this lineup is going to be scary good if they ever get healthy.

The only team that worries me against a healthy Yankees is the Astros because they have better pitching and more consistent hitters. If the Yankees bats heat up in the playoffs though watch out. There's so much power in that lineup.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
21 leads the AL this year. The only guy in that line up who can't hit 20 over a full season is LeMahieu. Andujar might be out for the year but the Yankees have played the entire season so far without Judge, Stanton,and Didi who just returned to the lineup. They might look to trade Frazier for pitching help but they've also been missing their ace and one of their best relievers in Severino and Betances all year. If Happ and Paxton can find some consistency to go with Sevy Tanaka German and CC then this lineup is going to be scary good if they ever get healthy.

The only team that worries me against a healthy Yankees is the Astros because they have better pitching and more consistent hitters. If the Yankees bats heat up in the playoffs though watch out. There's so much power in that lineup.

That was sarcasm on about Edwin of course.

The depth of New York will push them higher even with a half depleted team. Astros can challenge them but I think Dodgers can still.

I wonder if teams like Minnesota or Tampa can acquire any big guns as they both have stellar depth moving forward. Even Atlanta who seem to be heating up lately.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Edwin only has 21 homers this season. I'm waiting for them to get another pitcher or another heavy hitter soon. They may be ready to buy another Championship team.

The salary cap in the mlb is awesome.

A few other top teams will add depth as well eventually.
Buy another championship team? Not sure if you've been paying attention, but the bulk of their regular lineup has been done through the draft, unheralded free agents or astute small trades.
Draftees include Sanchez, Judge, Sevy, Gardner, Beltances, German, Bird, Cessa, Holder, Montgomery, Romine, etc.

And when most of those guys went down with injury this year, there were no huge free agent acquisitions. They filled the gaps with a bunch of journeymen like LeMahieu, Maybin, Urshela.

Yes, they added Stanton last year, but he's been very underwhelming until injury caught up to him. Paxton was a solid add, but that was after the top 5, 6 free agent pitchers were snagged by other teams. And now, the agless , but still aging Encarnacion.

Not a mile ahead of many other teams in terms of the adds, but they have done the majority of this through the farm system and some prudent adds.

Reactions: lakai17

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Buy another championship team? Not sure if you've been paying attention, but the bulk of their regular lineup has been done through the draft, unheralded free agents or astute small trades.
Draftees include Sanchez, Judge, Sevy, Gardner, Beltances, German, Bird, Cessa, Holder, Montgomery, Romine, etc.

And when most of those guys went down with injury this year, there were no huge free agent acquisitions. They filled the gaps with a bunch of journeymen like LeMahieu, Maybin, Urshela.

Yes, they added Stanton last year, but he's been very underwhelming until injury caught up to him. Paxton was a solid add, but that was after the top 5, 6 free agent pitchers were snagged by other teams. And now, the agless , but still aging Encarnacion.

Not a mile ahead of many other teams in terms of the adds, but they have done the majority of this through the farm system and some prudent adds.

True true, Andujar was a great pickup as well for them, good scouting in the last decade.

The journeymen pickups are playing half decent as well.

They did get a good deal on Edwin too.

At the end of the day they've still invested over 200 million dollars on players ranking #2 league wide.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Now that’s an interesting development....

You’d have to think the end game here is which ever city agrees to and builds a new stadium first gets the team full time.

This is a new wrinkle in the owner manipulation playbook that we haven’t seen before. We’ve had veiled threats to move a team before but never a shared franchise. First time we’ve seen two markets that have dragged their feet for years to build a new stadium pitted against each other with real motivation to get something done. I’m still in “I’ll believe it when I see it mode” but it’s an interesting idea to say the least.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good day for Vladdy. Hopefully it can boost his confidence for the second half.

Oddly enough I'm assuming he made damn near the same amount of money from that derby as he will this season.

Derby money was up from 525k to 2.5mil, with the winners portion up from 125k to 1mil

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I realize it's been about mid July since the Blue Jays were remotely relevant, but wanted to revive this thread to talk about my Yankees. Nice win over Houston last night with their 22 year old superstar Gelybar Torres continuing his hot play, and Mirashiro Tanaka turning in a gem. Still , a long way to go to get by the favored Astros, with their 2 superstar pitchers on deck.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Sport is better than anything Hollywood could ever script. Absolutely amazing.

This Hollywood script is going to take a very dark turn now and not just for Baseball.

The fallout and admission of guilt that is coming out of this is going to be very interesting. Can't remember who it was yesterday saying every so often a major story comes out that will take years to get through, and this is now going to be the new Steroid/Concussion story.

The leagues know they have an issue with recreational drugs and have stood by letting it happen. Now with a death on their hands things are going to change.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This Hollywood script is going to take a very dark turn now and not just for Baseball.

The fallout and admission of guilt that is coming out of this is going to be very interesting. Can't remember who it was yesterday saying every so often a major story comes out that will take years to get through, and this is now going to be the new Steroid/Concussion story.

The leagues know they have an issue with recreational drugs and have stood by letting it happen. Now with a death on their hands things are going to change.

how much responsibility does the league have to police players and their activities away from the field? I think that if a team knows a players has a problem then they have a responsibility to make an effort to help that player, but how much can they do?

Hell, we have multiple parties running in the current election that want to make hard drugs completely legal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
how much responsibility does the league have to police players and their activities away from the field? I think that if a team knows a players has a problem then they have a responsibility to make an effort to help that player, but how much can they do?

Hell, we have multiple parties running in the current election that want to make hard drugs completely legal.
I don't get how it's any different than if I fail a drug test at work. I have to go into a program and then subjected to more random testing. I don't get better or reject the treatment I'm fired.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
A World Series for the ages. Road team wins every game, and the huge underdog Nats prove they have some serious game. Luv it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad