OT: Blue Jays/MLB 2019 season

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Jays are a middling team with two teams that are looking like powerhouses in their division. The are hooped. They need to trade everything they can-Donaldson, Tulo etc.- and rebuild already.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
not a Jays fan but a baseball fan

there's not much there with the roster other than Donaldson and Stroman...Tulo is always injured now and Bautista ain't coming back
coupled with the fact they're in the AL East where the Yankees are back to being the Yankees while the Red Sox should be great, it'll be tough sledding IMO

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I have grave concerns about the starting 5

Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Garcia.

Lots of ifs as with any pitching rotation, but Stroman needs to keep up from last season, Sanchez needs to stay off IR, Estrada and Happ need to return to the form 2 years ago, Garcia in the 5th spot to allow Biagini to go back to the pen.

I like the addition of Oh in the bullpen. He struggled last year on a bad Cardinals team, but has shown to be a good arm in the past.

I fully expect Donaldson to be traded by the trade deadline as he has already indicated he will test free agency.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada, Happ, Garcia.

Lots of ifs as with any pitching rotation, but Stroman needs to keep up from last season, Sanchez needs to stay off IR, Estrada and Happ need to return to the form 2 years ago, Garcia in the 5th spot to allow Biagini to go back to the pen.

I like the addition of Oh in the bullpen. He struggled last year on a bad Cardinals team, but has shown to be a good arm in the past.

I fully expect Donaldson to be traded by the trade deadline as he has already indicated he will test free agency.

I see struggles with the Jays and I agree Donaldson will be moved. Jays need to embrace a rebuild sooner then later

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I see struggles with the Jays and I agree Donaldson will be moved. Jays need to embrace a rebuild sooner then later

I don't expect us to win the division with the Yankees and Red Soxs stacked line ups, but I do see us being ahead of Baltimore and Tampa. Still outside of the wildcard.

The question become will we see Vlad jr. up after JD is traded or do they sit on his still in Dunedin.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not expecting much this season.

I think they did a good job of quietly bringing in some decent pieces like Garcia, Solarte, Grichuk, Granderson and Oh, but I'm not sure they're even a wildcard team.

I just hope they give the young guys a chance. Alford is raking right now and Vladdy/Bichette had about as good of debuts as you can.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I think if the rotation stays healthy we can battle for a wildcard spot, pretty big if with this group considering Stroman won't even be ready for Opening Day. Would still be tough with the Yankees and Red Sox looking like contenders.
I would have tore it down this offseason though, see what you could have got for Donaldson, Happ and Smoak, maybe Pillar. Don't think you'd get anything for Tulo, Martin or Morales but I would have looked into moving out some of their money too

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Jays are a middling team with two teams that are looking like powerhouses in their division. The are hooped. They need to trade everything they can-Donaldson, Tulo etc.- and rebuild already.
Donaldson will be traded at some point. They’d love to trade Tulo but I think it’s going to be impossible to do it without eating all his contract. San Diego ate 95% of Upton’s contract to dump him on the Jays a couple years ago. Granted there was less than a year and a half left. I think Tulo still has 3 years left at 20 million per. That’s a lot to eat. It’s also a lot to take on in a trade for someone who may only be worth a million or two today on the open market. They’re pretty much stuck with him.

The rest of the stars are young enough that I think you keep them around because they’ll still fit in the Guerrero/Bichette window.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Man do I ever hope they tear the team down, have to build for the future with Vlad Jr and Bo.

Trade off Donaldon before an injury occurs and he walks for nothing

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
While they are the future, that is still a couple years away. Bo and Vlad Jr are still young to take on that role.
I understand they are a couple years away, that doesn't mean they don't trade off their valuable pieces now while they can in order to acquire players in the 20-25 age group . They definitely aren't competing for the division this year, that's why I don't understand why Donaldson wasn't traded in the off-season

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I understand they are a couple years away, that doesn't mean they don't trade off their valuable pieces now while they can in order to acquire players in the 20-25 age group . They definitely aren't competing for the division this year, that's why I don't understand why Donaldson wasn't traded in the off-season

Oh I agree Donaldson is getting traded this year. That's why they picked up solatre and Diaz to stop gap the eventual transition. It also looks like maybe Martin occasionally to get his away from behind the plate.

As to why they did t trade him during the off season the best guess I can come up with is how slow the market was. There was a huge number of high end free agents that could have been picked up but no buddy was biting at their prices. Because teams were still trying to get say a Arietta or a Darvish they were not willing the pick up a Donaldson contract. With the exception of the Marlins fire sale there wasn't much happening on the hot stove this winter

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This was the strangest off season I can remember with last off season coming in second. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a labour dispute on the horizon. I’m not sure when the current contract runs out but it looks like somethings going on.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This was the strangest off season I can remember with last off season coming in second. Wouldn’t surprise me to see a labour dispute on the horizon. I’m not sure when the current contract runs out but it looks like somethings going on.

It was like all the GMs collectively decided they weren’t going to spend any money at all. Basically the opposite of any offseason in any major professional sport ever.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was like all the GMs collectively decided they weren’t going to spend any money at all. Basically the opposite of any offseason in any major professional sport ever.
That’s what it looks like to me too. Started last winter and got worse this offseason. Starting to hear the word “collusion” whispered a lot now. I think the players will strike back somehow.

Whatever it is I think it played a part in a lot of stuff not happening during the off-season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That’s what it looks like to me too. Started last winter and got worse this offseason. Starting to hear the word “collusion” whispered a lot now. I think the players will strike back somehow.

Whatever it is I think it played a part in a lot of stuff not happening during the off-season.

MLB tends to be ahead of the other pro sports at management and statistical analysis. Wouldn’t be surprised if it became the first league where GMs collectively learned how to analyze financial risk/benefit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->