Blue Jackets talking to Ehrhoff (update---Ehrhoff signs 1 yr-$1.5 with the Kings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I keep saying it, but if the offense stays healthy the defense will look A LOT better. They wear down opposing teams very effectively and makes the defenses job a lot easier. Last year the offense couldn't play that style of hockey and it showed. And when the offense was healthy and both Boone and Dubi were on the ice creating havoc the defense looked completely different from early in the season.

An excellent point. Indeed, sometimes playing defense revolves around playing offense. And playing offense revolves around playing defense.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think they took a flyer on Ehrhoff - it's up to him if he takes it. I don't think they intend to do anything else with him unless there's an injury.

Friend of mine played golf with JD and Jarmo yesterday (won in one of those basket raffles during the season). Lots of great nuggets, but the most interesting to me is that they said they believe they have the best 'free agent acquisition' already in terms of adding to last year. Ryan Murray.

As hard as it is to believe, they like the D as is.

It would be hard to imagine them expressing pessimistic views with fans on the golf course.

I bet they think we need a big d upgrade (in addition to Murray) to be a top contender, but they know it doesn't have to be this summer.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
An excellent point. Indeed, sometimes playing defense revolves around playing offense. And playing offense revolves around playing defense.

:laugh: :laugh: I remember that commercial from a few years ago. It's true though. The the best defence is a good offense!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
It would be hard to imagine them expressing pessimistic views with fans on the golf course.

I bet they think we need a big d upgrade (in addition to Murray) to be a top contender, but they know it doesn't have to be this summer.

You would be surprised how candid staff and players are at these things, particularly in the offseason. Ethan Moreau was fascinating in his critique of the team in 2011. He was particularly harsh about Mason, the coach, Voracek, Commodore and more. Sure, he wasn't coming back, but he had no reason to be honest other than just to be honest. It's interesting to see how much the organization has done that mirrored his recommendations for the club - getting a hockey guy in the front office then get young and stockpile talent were two of his primary recommendations. And here we are.

That said, there's enough pessimism around here to go around - believe it or not, every post doesn't have to be a downer. At any rate, I'm going to go with what the guys who are in charge are saying. Some of you guys are going to believe what you want to believe.

As far as being a 'contender', it should be obvious that the CBJ are not a cup contender as of now - there are a lot of other question marks that need answered to get to that level. D is not the 'missing link' or 'key' really, unless everything else goes right and there's no progression in 1-2 young defensemen. Or, believing as I do, defense is not nearly the concern within the organization as it is without. Some might say that having healthy producing forwards will automatically make the defense better. Add in Murray and you have the right mix of talent that could do anything.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think they are very confident in their coaching staff as well as the work ethic of the younger guys. By that I mean they think they can get a whole other level out of Goloubef/Connauton, have Savard continue to develop, and work on some of the other guys in the pipeline.

A lot has been made about Murray as he's the best defensemen we currently have and hardly played at all last season. That said, the second most pressure I think is being put on Goloubef to solidify himself as an NHL'er. I could be wrong and maybe they are internally pressuring Savard or someone like Tyutin (who seems to be getting slower) but I honestly think Goloubef will be a surprise to many. He won't score many points, but he'll be able to handle minutes and dish out physicality.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 16h16 hours ago

At this point, seems highly unlikely UFA D Christian Ehrhoff signs with #CBJ, unless it gets well into September and he takes PTO. #unlikely

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've been an advocate of adding Ehrhoff, but in the exact model that Jarmo has employed. So if he doesn't come in, I'm assuming that's the player's choice not to take the team's terms, which is the only way I'd like to see the player come in. So I'm OK if this is how it goes down.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've been an advocate of adding Ehrhoff, but in the exact model that Jarmo has employed. So if he doesn't come in, I'm assuming that's the player's choice not to take the team's terms, which is the only way I'd like to see the player come in. So I'm OK if this is how it goes down.

I'm in this boat

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
We're making too much out of this. He'd only be a stop gap veteran backup. It would be nice to have him in the event of injuries and poor play by some of our D.

He's not some final piece or something.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
The gave him a "low ball" offer and he rejected...fine, lets move on.

I think at this point, CBJ will wait until trade-time to beef up the blueline...say Dustin Byfuglien, or Eric Johnson.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We're making too much out of this. He'd only be a stop gap veteran backup. It would be nice to have him in the event of injuries and poor play by some of our D.

He's not some final piece or something.

While I agree he would be a stop gap, I think he would be looked upon as a regular top 6 (4?) guy for this season not just a guy to call upon should injuries or poor play occur.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The gave him a "low ball" offer and he rejected...fine, lets move on.

I think at this point, CBJ will wait until trade-time to beef up the blueline...say Dustin Byfuglien, or Eric Johnson.

So you're advocating renting a soon to be 31 year old entering his UFA contract that will demand over 6 million and term in his next contract and will cost a lot at the deadline (assuming he's healthy and performing)?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So you're advocating renting a soon to be 31 year old entering his UFA contract that will demand over 6 million and term in his next contract and will cost a lot at the deadline (assuming he's healthy and performing)?

Sure. Why not? If he can help the team into the playoffs and hopefully make a good run I'm all for it. I don't see him as a long term solution.
And if he is okay but for whatever reason the Jackets aren't in the hunt at the deadline ship him off for a pick.

thebus2288*

That's the "best case" scenario for me. Winnepeg out of it at the deadline. Us not. Wennberg has a decent season.

Say Wennberg/'16 1st/Connauton or Golo/Bourque for Buff and an "ok" pick of some sort. Then trade for a cheap vet to center the 3rd line and go into the playoffs "sparked" by the momentum Buff would bring. I'm not sure the exact circumstances that I'd do it, but I'd like the team to probably be a few points above the playoff cutoff to make the move.

However, I do see Buff as a long term option. I'm not sure what's all allowed (or if Winnepeg could ok talks) or if Buff is friends with any of the guys on the team but I'd like it if they had a "pretty good" idea he'd resign. I'm not sure what exactly we'd have to sacrifice to be able to get him and fit him in long term, but IMO Buff is essentially the perfect fit for this team going forward. Another guy that obviously comes to mind is OEL, but I prefer and greatly value to "edge" Buff brings.

The way Big Buff plays and his personality really do seem like a perfect fit. Guys will bring up his defensive game, but realistically, we aren't getting anybody that much(if any) better defensively.

While we are clearly 1 of the "worst teams to play against" already, I think he would cement us as the clear #1 team. Not only personally would I just simply love that for what it is, I really think there's added value in what he or "that" would do for the team. While many of the better teams are "tough" or "heavy" teams, they not necessarily "mean" or play with much of an edge besides a few players. Him added to what we already have would give this team a very unique blend of skill and nastiness all throughout the lineup that not many team have employed recently. I know many on here probably wont agree with me but IMO adding him would give us a clear "unique" advantage over the whole league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015

Sure. If you want to make a run, you make these moves. I don't think it will be a re-sign situation either. Rent him for a couple months.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Likewise, except I also have some regret that that's his choice. If that is his choice.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 16h16 hours ago

At this point, seems highly unlikely UFA D Christian Ehrhoff signs with #CBJ, unless it gets well into September and he takes PTO. #unlikely

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they signed Ehrhoff tomorrow, Portzline seems to have about as good of contacts as the average fan. No offense to Aaron of course:D

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Sure. Why not? If he can help the team into the playoffs and hopefully make a good run I'm all for it. I don't see him as a long term solution.
And if he is okay but for whatever reason the Jackets aren't in the hunt at the deadline ship him off for a pick.

God awful use of resources if he's a rental. The "run" statement by someone else is nonsensical. We aren't a perennial playoff team and we're highly unlikely to win the Cup making a move like that. Talk to me again when we're competing for one of the top 2 spots in the Conference every year. Then we can talk about throwing away assets like that.

This doesn't mean I'm against adding during the trade deadline; just against players that would cost that much and we're highly unlikely to even attempt to re-sign (nor should we consider it).

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
God awful use of resources if he's a rental. The "run" statement by someone else is nonsensical. We aren't a perennial playoff team and we're highly unlikely to win the Cup making a move like that. Talk to me again when we're competing for one of the top 2 spots in the Conference every year. Then we can talk about throwing away assets like that.

This doesn't mean I'm against adding during the trade deadline; just against players that would cost that much and we're highly unlikely to even attempt to re-sign (nor should we consider it).

I am not advocating paying him 4 mill. If he comes at the low ball offer I don't think it is a bad use of a couple of mill. Please explain how signing him for about 2 mill is throwing away assets.

I agree that adding him is most likely not going to result in the Cup but it could help in a deeper run.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That's the "best case" scenario for me. Winnepeg out of it at the deadline. Us not. Wennberg has a decent season.

Say Wennberg/'16 1st/Connauton or Golo/Bourque for Buff and an "ok" pick of some sort. Then trade for a cheap vet to center the 3rd line and go into the playoffs "sparked" by the momentum Buff would bring. I'm not sure the exact circumstances that I'd do it, but I'd like the team to probably be a few points above the playoff cutoff to make the move.

I agree with everything you said about Buff being potentially the perfect piece for us, and him making us far and away the nastiest team in the league. But there's a ton of risk there. Buff has at times played like an elite D but he's never been a consistent #1quality D and that's what we need from him to justify that kind of payment.

I'd be interested in acquiring him now because it would give us more time to find out if he's a fit. But I don't know the price.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With the front office seeing Murray as their"free agent signing" I don't really think anything is gonna get done. If Murray establishes himself this season then there's no point to add another dman when we have 2 or 3 defenseman looking to take a spot. With 2 or 3 more looking to push for spot in the following season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I am not advocating paying him 4 mill. If he comes at the low ball offer I don't think it is a bad use of a couple of mill. Please explain how signing him for about 2 mill is throwing away assets.

I agree that adding him is most likely not going to result in the Cup but it could help in a deeper run.

I think blah is talking about bus' concept of adding Buff. I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad