Blue Jackets talking to Ehrhoff (update---Ehrhoff signs 1 yr-$1.5 with the Kings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
mr-burns-excellent-o.gif

Here's hoping.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Ehrhoff would be a great pickup. But the only problem is the money. He'd likely sign a 1 year deal for about 1 million or 1.5 million since its so late in the summer. The same article said we need 3 million on the cap so we can protect ourselves if our young guys hit their bonus money.

Unless Ehrhoff takes an even bigger discount (very unlikely) or we can trade Bourque/Boll and stash Goloubef or Prout in the minors I don't see how he can get here.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I still don't see where there is room for him unless they move some salary somewhere. 2.6 of the possible bonus cushion belongs to Ryan Murray. Not sure how likely it is that he meets them but if he has a healthy season there is a good possibility he hits a good portion of them.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If they want him they'll find cap room.

Teams can exceed the upper limit of the cap by 7.5% if the overage is caused by bonuses earned. So for this season that would be in excess of 5 million of cushion. The problem being if they are hit they count against the cap next year and with Jenner, Murray, Savard, et al coming due that would not be good.

We currently have about 3.5 mill of cap space. I would guess 2 mill is the max they would pay Erhoff.

If they sign him Faulk goes to the AHL meaning there would still be 2 mill of cushion for call ups. Not alot but doable.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What are the conditions of Murray's performance bonus? Does anyone know?

I like the focus on not having bonus overages. With Savard, Jenner, and Murray all RFA next summer we are going to be cutting it very close against the cap, and it's important we don't risk the bonus overages. And we sure as heck don't want to be stuck rolling-over our bonus overages year by year because we will be in cap hell as is in summer 2017, and can't add to that one bit.

Its pretty hard to resist signing Ehrhoff for a one year deal. So perhaps we can dump a contract or two (Boll/Bourque/Prout,etc..) if it appears Murray will hit his bonuses. It will be an expensive dump but better than passing on Ehrhoff and better than adding the overages.

Also, I would sooner dump Prout or Connauton than Golo. Just sayin'.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I think there's a mechanism to transfer ELC bonuses to the next year. That just creates a new set of problems but hey, its an option.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
So, what is the sweet spot? 1 year, 2.5 million? Then just hope Murray doesn't hit his bonuses?

I'd see Ehrhoff holding out for more.

If I'm Jarmo, I'm playing up just how weak our blueline is and how much of an opportunity there is to cash in on easy points with our current forward core. Our best selling point is that we're the team taht gives him a chance to cash in next season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So, what is the sweet spot? 1 year, 2.5 million? Then just hope Murray doesn't hit his bonuses?

He'll look for more, but I wouldn't pay it, and not $2.5m. Ehrhoff might not even be one of our 4 best PP d-men.

It's a reclamation project - he might return to form or be a scratch - so pay him accordingly, at most $2m.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think there's a mechanism to transfer ELC bonuses to the next year. That just creates a new set of problems but hey, its an option.

Going over the cap due to bonuses this season will count against the cap next season. Considering how many RFA the CBJ have, that would be a bad thing.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Time for Jarmo to get serious and make a deal with a floor team and try to get someone to take Bourque off our hands. Sweeten the pot with a pick and/or a prospect in return for a low round pick. If the club is serious about signing Ehrhoff, then they'll find a way to make it work.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Time for Jarmo to get serious and make a deal with a floor team and try to get someone to take Bourque off our hands. Sweeten the pot with a pick and/or a prospect in return for a low round pick. If the club is serious about signing Ehrhoff, then they'll find a way to make it work.
I'm thinking the same thing. If they really like him they'll make a deal or two in order to make the $$$ work. I don't know if they like him that much, though. Probably not.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The only way Bourque becomes attractive is if we take on some salary for this year. Not too many budget teams would want him, but a team looking for a scoring punch may take a chance on him at a discount price.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If that was true, we wouldn't have traded Horton for Clarkson.

The Clarkson deal signals they aren't willing to pay Horton's LTIR contract in addition to the cap. ~$75m. But they're willing to spend to ~$70m.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Going over the cap due to bonuses this season will count against the cap next season. Considering how many RFA the CBJ have, that would be a bad thing.

This is true. The good thing is from what I have read elsewhere, in general, bonuses are hard to reach in their entirety. I'm guessing we might have to pay a million or so in bonuses at the max.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's a reclamation project - he might return to form or be a scratch - so pay him accordingly, at most $2m.

Hardly. He was hurt, not dead. Honestly, 2 million is an insult. He still played almost 22 minutes a night. His offensive numbers are declining, but he's still a pretty good defensemen. The Jackets would have no interest in a "reclamation project".

He would not be a scratch.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
if we sign him, i instantly trade Tyutin...I think I probably favor Goloubef more than most...I'm nearly fine going with what we have rather than take a chance on Ehrhoff not returning to form due to his concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad