Blue Jackets talking to Ehrhoff (update---Ehrhoff signs 1 yr-$1.5 with the Kings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I think Savard is our best RHD at the moment. Defensemen play at different levels on different days, though. So some nights he could be a 2nd pairing guy, others he could be top pairing worthy. Jack Johnson, likewise, has a very wide range where he can go from being a big liability to dominating like he did in the playoffs against Pitt.

Murray, I think, is our steadiest as a 1st/2nd pairing tweener on some nights and the possibility to range up to "elite."

Ehrhoff is more of a 2nd/3rd pairing guy who is a veteran presence. He's better than Leopold (our previous defensive "veteran") and is younger, but I think Goloubef or Connauton could really test him if they continue to improve their play.

Opening night, if we signed Ehrhoff, I'd want the pairings to look like:
Johnson - Savard
Murray - Ehrhoff
Tyutin - Goloubef
Connauton (steps in if Ehrhoff or Savard gets hurt)

Prout would be down in the AHL or be the 2nd body if they go with 8 defensemen. He'd be dressed on "scrappy" nights which (dressing him and Boll against "physical" or "tough" opponents) is a philosophy Richards seems to still follow.

Total agreement on this - and it actually gives a top 4 with some experience and puts Toots on the 3rd line where he can be effective - even if you develop one of the young guys to eat into Ehrhoff's minutes - his playoff experience would be invaluable. That article posted above lists a few alternative destinations - everyone wants to win a Cup.. if LA makes a similar offer Ehrhoff will be a King in my opinion. I still have my fingers crossed but if he wanted to be a Jacket per se it would have already been done by now imo.

Last edited:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i saw talk today that he and Franson may have to do a PTO to get an invite to camp if neither comes down...I don't buy it, but its circulating...

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Not sure what he's holding out for...he's not going to get a $4 mil offer out of the blue from some random team.

Also, I'm sure the offer CBJ has on the table for him is a hell of a lot better than a PTO invite...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It speaks for how pathetically average our defense that we still have people putting him in the top pairing. I'm going to throw up a little in my mouth on his next contract.

As far as Ehrhoff, it would be nice to have some extra veteran depth. That the Pens fans didn't like him is a great endorsement for his addition to our lineup. After a season with two concussions, maybe he should take that short term low-ball offer.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Not sure what he's holding out for...he's not going to get a $4 mil offer out of the blue from some random team.

Also, I'm sure the offer CBJ has on the table for him is a hell of a lot better than a PTO invite...

He could be holding out on an injury to someone's top-4. That would be the only case where I could see a team coming close to what he wants.

Otherwise, it'll be around $2 million to either us or Boston.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
i saw talk today that he and Franson may have to do a PTO to get an invite to camp if neither comes down...I don't buy it, but its circulating...

LOL..

Oh yeah? Links to where this is "circulating" ?

This doesn't make any sense.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
He could be holding out on an injury to someone's top-4. That would be the only case where I could see a team coming close to what he wants.

Otherwise, it'll be around $2 million to either us or Boston.

I was thinking along this line...holding out for an injury to a top four player on a cup hopeful team that opens up the coffers on the top of their cap space for him. It's not a bad plan this late into free agency.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
That might be a bad idea though. Isnt he still getting paid from Buffalo? If he waits for someone to get hurt and say it doesnt happen until game 15 or 20 he's not going to be in game shape while everyone else is starting to hit their stride.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
That might be a bad idea though. Isnt he still getting paid from Buffalo? If he waits for someone to get hurt and say it doesnt happen until game 15 or 20 he's not going to be in game shape while everyone else is starting to hit their stride.

Not to mention that there may not be cap room to pay him what he wants. I think he signs somewhere before the season starts.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Took this from an article when he was bought out in 2014:

"The veteran defenseman signed a 10-year, $40 million contract in June of 2011 with the Sabres, a deal that included $14 million in bonuses in the first two seasons, and is still owed two-thirds of his remaining $18 million to be paid over 14 years."

Sounds like he is essentially being paid around 850k or so per year for 14 years.

orthosrgn2

Apr 26, 2007
I understand the need for veteran presence, as well as a top 4 defenseman, but if Ehrhof's primary concern is a paycheck more than helping improve a defense that can take the CBJ well into the playoffs, I would rather do battle with what we already have on D.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
but if Ehrhof's primary concern is a paycheck more than helping improve a defense that can take the CBJ well into the playoffs, I would rather do battle with what we already have on D.

With all due respect, that's a pretty naive stance.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
yeah. I had a similar thought. Also, I wonder how the room feels about him holding out and using them as a safety net when he can't cash in elsewhere. He'd be coming in taking a job from one of them.

I do wonder if we will see some angry tweets if he signs with someone else. haha

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Players dont generally get into other players business when it comes to contracts. He's waiting for the best deal, any of you would do the same in the same scenario. And adding him to our blueline still makes it better then what it currently is

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm beginning to come around to how Jarmo is handling this. It's obvious that the club has interest in the player and that the player wants to play here. That said, Jarmo is playing it cool on this one. If he makes a rash move to make the signing, it looks desperate. I think he wants this deal on his terms and won't budge. Tells me they aren't totally convinced that Ehrhoff is the piece that rockets this team up the standings.

I'm on board with this. Would Ehrhoff be an improvement? Sure, but at what cost has been everyone's question. Unless Jarmo can move Rene Bourque, I'm not sure we see Ehrhoff in union blue. As is, the defense should improve some by maturation of not only the defenders, but our forward group as well. Time's running out for Ehrhoff, so it will be interesting to see how his team handles this. If he signs for what is on the table (my assumption would be 1 year, 1-1.25 million), this could be a steal for the Jackets.

Much like awaiting the College Football season, I wish they'd just drop the puck already. This time of the year is just dreadful. Baseball and preseason football. BARF.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Gonchar just signed a PTO...If Ehrhoff wants a (guaranteed) seat he better get one before the music stops.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I think they took a flyer on Ehrhoff - it's up to him if he takes it. I don't think they intend to do anything else with him unless there's an injury.

Friend of mine played golf with JD and Jarmo yesterday (won in one of those basket raffles during the season). Lots of great nuggets, but the most interesting to me is that they said they believe they have the best 'free agent acquisition' already in terms of adding to last year. Ryan Murray.

As hard as it is to believe, they like the D as is.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Offseason, holidays, rest and Ryan Murray. It's time to get a new injury. JD and JK something tell your friend about it?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I keep saying it, but if the offense stays healthy the defense will look A LOT better. They wear down opposing teams very effectively and makes the defenses job a lot easier. Last year the offense couldn't play that style of hockey and it showed. And when the offense was healthy and both Boone and Dubi were on the ice creating havoc the defense looked completely different from early in the season.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Ehrhoff is doing himself a disservice if he does not take a 1-2 year $2 million dollar contract, in my opinion.

He may be worth double that at around $4 million, but I think he needs to bite the bullet and take a short NHL contract so he can prove he's still a top-4 defensemen. If he does that, his (likely last) contract will be good.

There are two major risks to this: The first is that he gets injured and misses a significant amount of the season or even ends his NHL career. This is a risk every player takes.

The second is that he doesn't play well and falls out of the NHL.

He needs to decide if playing in the NHL is that important. If it is, he may seriously want to consider taking a guaranteed contract at less than he thinks he's worth. At the very least it gets him seen and keeps him in shape. If not, then I think his NHL future will be short lived and he'll finish his career over in Europe.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think they took a flyer on Ehrhoff - it's up to him if he takes it. I don't think they intend to do anything else with him unless there's an injury.

Friend of mine played golf with JD and Jarmo yesterday (won in one of those basket raffles during the season). Lots of great nuggets, but the most interesting to me is that they said they believe they have the best 'free agent acquisition' already in terms of adding to last year. Ryan Murray.

As hard as it is to believe, they like the D as is.

Care to share any other nuggets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad