GDT: Blue Jackets @ Red Wings - 7:00 EST

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It sounds like I didn't miss anything tonight. I am out with the wife tonight since my mom took the kids.
On a side note: I paid for NHL center ice for this?

From one married guy with kids to another... you have a night without the kids and with your wife. Get off the message board. :teach:

Reactions: 21 Savage

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It sounds like I didn't miss anything tonight. I am out with the wife tonight since my mom took the kids.
On a side note: I paid for NHL center ice for this?

it was a fairly exciting game, we created lots of scoring chances. Played pretty well in a loss for the second time in a row.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That we competed with Columbus all game was really good. I don't mind games like this, if the effort is there. Their goal should never have happened, but I can live with that. Calgary was harder to live with. Overall, though, we are playing better hockey.

I get the sense that Zetterberg has been handling more of the "player-coach" responsibilities, lately, which is why his own game is suffering. The players seem to be a bit more motivated than normal, and Blashill hasn't really done anything different to result in such a change. So I assume there was an "internal" resolution and that's why the team has been playing better.

Reactions: aar000n

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Unless I'm mistaken, this is the Wings first shootout loss since Feb. 20 2016. Going 12-0 in between losses.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Random stats time!

I know Bob was lights out, but scoring remains a significant issue for the Wings. Currently sitting at 26th in the league in goals per game. They are staying afloat by keeping more goals out than anticipated, being the 12th lowest goals against.

But to drive home the scoring issue, here's their league wide goals per game over the Blashill era.

2018: 26th (as of November 12)
2017: 26th
2016: 23rd

Since Lidstrom retired (at the end of the 2012 season), the Wings rank 23th in goal scoring over nearly 400 regular season games. Only Arizona, Colorado, Edmonton, Florida, Carolina, Vancouver, New Jersey, and Buffalo fall below.

Surprisingly, the Wings powerplay over that same span is ranked 9th, at 18.9%.

And just for fun, the Wings are 21st in Regulation Overtime Wins (ROW) since the Lidstrom retirement. A bottom 10 team without the shootout.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
And just for fun, the Wings are 21st in Regulation Overtime Wins (ROW) since the Lidstrom retirement. A bottom 10 team without the shootout.
"A bottom 10 team if you change the rules to something other than what they are"

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Entertaining game but I'm waiting for us to fall in the standings. The prospect of a top 5 pick is more exciting than watching this team try to fight for an extended stay in purgatory.

Dahlin. Svechnikov. Boqvist. Hughes. Wilde. Please hockey gods just give us one.

Reactions: TheMule93

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
"A bottom 10 team if you change the rules to something other than what they are"
The point still stands that the team's success at actually playing hockey has been inflated somewhat by their freakishly good streak in a skills competition.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
The point still stands that the team's success at actually playing hockey has been inflated somewhat by their freakishly good streak in a skills competition.
FWIW
The year they were historically awful in the shootout they made the playoffs. The year they were historically good in the shootout they missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Oddbob

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It didn't matter so I am nitpicking but

I don't understand waiting 8 rounds before giving our leading scorer a shootout chance

And i don't understand Daley in the shootout at all

Can anyone explain these to me using Blashill logic?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Entertaining game but I'm waiting for us to fall in the standings. The prospect of a top 5 pick is more exciting than watching this team try to fight for an extended stay in purgatory.

Dahlin. Svechnikov. Boqvist. Hughes. Wilde. Please hockey gods just give us one.
Even Zadina from Halifax would be nice. Pure scorer lighting it up in the Q in his first season in North America

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

I don't understand waiting 8 rounds before giving our leading scorer a shootout chance

My guess is that Daley understands and follows "The Process" that Blashill has imbued into the team. And as a result of that and trying to "Get Him Going", he picked him. It was either that or Glendenning or Helm. Although I thought Glenny has a decent SO %

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Does anyone else remember Daley shooting third earlier this year? I didn't pay it much attention because i wasn't really familiar with him, but since then I've seen his goalscoring stats...

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I think people read far too much into shootout selection process than need be. Mantha didn't score anyway, so what's your point? Maybe they thought Bobrovsky wasn't familiar with Daley in the shootout and would be a curveball. It's not like they threw Jensen out there before Mantha.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
FWIW
The year they were historically awful in the shootout they made the playoffs. The year they were historically good in the shootout they missed the playoffs.
I know . It actually makes it kinda extra painful to be winning them now when ultimately it's not helping them.

Whereas in previous years had they managed to win even some of their shootouts they likely would've had some easier first round matchups.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I think people read far too much into shootout selection process than need be. Mantha didn't score anyway, so what's your point? Maybe they thought Bobrovsky wasn't familiar with Daley in the shootout and would be a curveball. It's not like they threw Jensen out there before Mantha.
I agree that it's not a big deal, more of a curiosity. But also, Daley shooting third earlier in the year pretty much WAS equivalent to throwing Jensen out there before Mantha...

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If they were so bad at actually playing hockey what does it say about all the teams that couldn't beat them in regulation or OT and ended up losing in SO? You can only play by the rules. Saying a team's success was inflated because they played by the rules is ridiculous.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
If they were so bad at actually playing hockey what does it say about all the teams that couldn't beat them in regulation or OT and ended up losing in SO? You can only play by the rules. Saying a team's success was inflated because they played by the rules is ridiculous.

It says that various other teams on that given night failed to beat the Wings. The Wings, however, are the constant.

Last season the Wings managed 24 ROWs, tying them with Arizona for second fewest in the league (only Colorado was worse). Without their freakish shootout win streak the Wings would've been tied with Arizona and New Jersey for third to last place in the league in points.

I said the shootout points inflated their success at actually playing hockey. I don't want to get into a semantics argument but call it what you want. The shootout streak partially masked just how bad the team was.

I know Holland keeps saying "get in and anything can happen" but when over the course of an 82 game season the team only won 8 more games than it takes to win the Stanley Cup, things aren't looking too good other than to be a first round sweep if you even get in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad