Proposal: Blue Jackets - Habs (Blockbuster)

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
Blue Jackets aren't trading Laine while his value is at the lowest point of his career. Jarmo can't be so dumb as to sell on the dip.

And Werenski's going nowhere unless an equal-quality, young 1st line center comes back.

Young 1st line center?
Is it Kotkaniemi / Suzuki by any chance? :)
Please write who is he?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not entirely. Several neutral fans said this is decent. There are different mixes of comments and they range. It's not the usual trash offer comments like we typically see overall

I guess we both choose to see what we want to see but at the end of the day, this deal is workable. Question is do you want to work at it or make fun of it?

Let's work at it by taking Werenski out of the discussion. What is the deal then?

Reactions: Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not entirely. Several neutral fans said this is decent. There are different mixes of comments and they range. It's not the usual trash offer comments like we typically see overall

I guess we both choose to see what we want to see but at the end of the day, this deal is workable. Question is do you want to work at it or make fun of it?
There's a basis but it requires some significant changes to make it actually palatable for Columbus, and I suspect the volume and nature of those changes would rapidly make it a non-starter for Habs fans.

Fundamentally, the biggest problem (from a Jackets perspective) is that you're trying to drag Werenski into the deal as well. For Laine a top-6 C is pretty necessary. For Werenski, a top-line C - not top-6, top-line, #1C - is mandatory; we wouldn't even think of trading him for anything short of an immediate replacement core player at the one position we desperately need help at, and plenty wouldn't want to go there even since there's alternative paths to address that. Future equivalents don't really work as well for us unless they're doing really well really now.

To put it simply, Suzuki (with his current performance) would work for a Laine deal, but that's overreaching because his upside is even better and so that's bad for Montreal. For Werenski... Montreal doesn't actually have the "current undisputed #1C" type player available. There's guys who will probably do that Real Soon Now, but Real Soon Now isn't good enough for a Werenski trade. We could instead substitute a LD like Gavrikov, but then including Romanov makes no sense for the Habs. See how the changes keep snowballing?

I think it's tantalizingly close but not actually feasible.

Reactions: cslebn and Fro

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Habs don’t realize a young top line DMan is extremely difficult to obtain. KK is still developing, but nowhere near the same level in a 1 for 1 trade. Caufield finished with an excellent college season, but struggled in the WJC and as a Freshman.

Werenski and Laine (buy low) would be perfect additions. Just not sure if CLB would accept a quantity trade.

Reactions: Dumais

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Werenski and Laine (buy low) would be perfect additions. Just not sure if CLB would accept a quantity trade.
For Laine, it's possible so long as the one quality piece we desperately need (a top-6 C with experience both offensively and defensively) is included somehow. For Werenski, it's absolutely not going to happen.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
For Laine, it's possible so long as the one quality piece we desperately need (a top-6 C with experience both offensively and defensively) is included somehow. For Werenski, it's absolutely not going to happen.

While not being a CBJ fan, that’s how I would view it if I was.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Habs don’t realize a young top line DMan is extremely difficult to obtain. KK is still developing, but nowhere near the same level in a 1 for 1 trade. Caufield finished with an excellent college season, but struggled in the WJC and as a Freshman.

I would like this twice if I had a alt account.

If Laine is trade for a top 6, Jarmo should be fired. And if not he would be on the hot seat and he's not dumb enough to put himself in that position. Never mind the fact it would be Jarmo selling low on a guy who is a proven sniper after just acquiring him and Laine with no preseason camp in a shorten season. That's only possible if Laine doesn't want to be here...did I mention he just got here? Didn't he say he wanted a bigger role on a team? Isn't he 22 with plenty of time to develop and grow if he wants to commit to being the best player he can be?

TL;DR no. It's a dumb idea.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Me personally, not a fan of either team, I wouldn’t be trading Werenski. I would listen to offers on Laine though, he’s just not a guy I would want to rebuild my team around partly due to his contract status and partly due to all the support he needs to be successful. Laine is better on a team who already has all those supporting pieces in place and Laine is just that missing complementary piece to put them over the top. What would be the Habs offer be just for Laine? Keep in mind CBJ desperately needs top 6 C more then anything.

Not so sure the Habs are only interested in Laine at this stage. If we trade one of our young centers, it's for a LD like Werenski.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Fair. The offer was made with consideration on the Blue Jackets possibly wanting to shed salary and move to even more youth. If that's not in their plans, it fall through pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see where Laine and Werenski are in 2 years when Laine is on his next contract (scary contract) and Werenski is 25 and also needs a new contract. What is the Blue Jackets direction?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
from an outsider point of view way over payment from the habs i sure hope bergevin doesn't do that....

And some on the other side of the fence thinks the Habs package we are offering is trash. Go figure eh. Must mean the value is close but the question is would either side do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad