Proposal: Blue Jackets - Habs (Blockbuster)

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Blue Jackets interested in getting younger with more futures? Or is this trade idea not something you are interested in?

- Kotkaniemi
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- 2021 3rd
- Armia (with contract extension)
- One Prospect like... Ylonen, Struble, Tuch, Mysak.
for

- Laine (50% retention for the rest of the year... cap reasons for the Habs)
- Werenski

No from Montreal.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Why do the Habs do this ? Do you want to go all in now and kill the franchise for the next 5 years ? I would not.

Laine's value has plummeted, since he has shown no ability to adapt to a new environment and seems to want to play a 60 foot game and not more even when asked to do so. Yes players failing in a new environment destroy their own value, see Hall, quite sure he won't get last year's return.

Also he wants big bucks and only has one more year as RFA, so I would not spend KK for him right now in a Covid world (and I really love Laine as a goal scorer but he is so bad defensively). Add to that, that the Habs are playing a depth based game and have Caufield in the pipeline...

Romanov has been physical, defensively responsible, that's what you want during the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, Werenski is the best player (by far) in this deal, but he is not a player you ruin your future for.

Reactions: respect the D

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I just think Laine is a bad fit for Torts. I’d offer a lot for him to be honest.
Torts offers a cautionary tale. I was a big fan of Laine as a goal scorer but this year he is showing what a liability he is when the team does not have the puck.

The guy did not like it when Maurice did not play him with Scheifele, he does not like it with Torts, he does not want to play defense, not the best advertising right now.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pile of garbage for good players. Classic Montreal trade. This must be an upgraded version of the Ryder, Halak and a 2nd trade.

Comparing KK, Romanov, 1st, Armia to Ryder, Halak and a 2nd is the garbage part.

Can't stress this enough... exaggeration like that is not providing any value to this discussion

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Torts offers a cautionary tale. I was a big fan of Laine as a goal scorer but this year he is showing what a liability he is when the team does not have the puck.

The guy did not like it when Maurice did not play him with Scheifele, he does not like it with Torts, he does not want to play defense, not the best advertising right now.

There is no way to spin it. Laine's trade value is less now than it was when the Jets traded him. His next contract is scary and the Blue Jackets know it but some fans on HF boards won't admit it.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Suzuki, Romanov, Caufield, 16th overall pick from last year big 2 way LH dman played in OHL/Team Canada at world juniors forget his name and 1st 2021 for laine 50% retained, Nick Foligno 50% retained, David Savard 50% retained and Werenski ( if the jackets have already retained on someone this wouldn’t work. )

Habs are not going to sell its farm for 1 playoff run. Werenski would do wonders for our hole at the left D but that is just a crazy price to pay

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Blue Jackets interested in getting younger with more futures? Or is this trade idea not something you are interested in?

- Kotkaniemi
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- 2021 3rd
for

- Werenski
Laine is already being retained on. They wouldn’t be able to retain another 50%

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

- Kotkaniemi
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- 2021 3rd
for

- Werenski
:laugh: :laugh: That doesn't get you Zach Werenski let alone Laine at 50% retention, And tell me how Montreal with a flat cap for the foreseeable future can afford to give both Laine and Werenski $18+ million combined long term?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
:laugh: :laugh: That doesn't get you Zach Werenski let alone Laine at 50% retention, And tell me how Montreal with a flat cap for the foreseeable future can afford to give both Laine and Werenski $18+ million combined long term?

It's workable if the Blue Jackets decide to move to more youth and better cap flexibility. As far as the Habs cap, there are challenges there but all we go to do is let Tatar walk and unload Byron (use picks if we have too).

Habs are not offering garbage. Laine is not trending well and his trade value is less than it was with the Jets. Plus his next contract is scary based on who you are going to get. Werenski is the best piece IMO.

One other poster said if I changed the 3rd to a 1st, he would consider it. I would also consider that. Another poster said Suzuki vs KK and I'd consider that too. It's closer than you will admit it is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No from Columbus as well, Not getting both Laine and Werenski without Suzuki being part of it.

Not going to speak for other Habs fans but I'd consider this... It's workable

1) Replace KK with Suzuki. I'm fine with that. Why? Cause I have both of these two close once they reach their prime
or
2) Replace the 3rd rounder with a 1st. I'd consider that as well.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
You want controllable top tier assets you gotta give up top tier players.

Guess thats a bit of a problem for Montreal though. :D

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021

- Kotkaniemi
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- 2021 3rd
for

- Werenski

I like your idea.
She describes the exchange at 75%.
This is a good result. I understand why you suggested this. There are pluses for both teams here.

I will express my opinion. Of course, I could be wrong.
You write:
“Not sure what other Habs fans say about Suzuki vs KK but I'd consider it. I have them close but they bring different things to the table as centers. "
Then I will include Suzuki in the exchange.
Not sure if CBJs are needed: Armia, 2021 3rd, and prospect B (C).

Remember: Savard (@ 50% Ret) and Foligno (@ 50% Ret).

CBJ
- Suzuki
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- Guhle (Caufield)

MTL
- Laine (@ 50% Ret) (RFA 2021)
- Werenski (RFA 2022)

CBJ is willing to take Armia for free if MTL wants it.
This is a deal template. CBJ might add.
If in exchange Kotkaniemi - Montreal adds.

Good luck. :)

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
There is no way to spin it. Laine's trade value is less now than it was when the Jets traded him. His next contract is scary and the Blue Jackets know it but some fans on HF boards won't admit it.
if laine's trade value is declining, so is the value of his next contract. no need to pay him 8m/yr, if the return in a trade is below a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like your idea.
She describes the exchange at 75%.
This is a good result. I understand why you suggested this. There are pluses for both teams here.

I will express my opinion. Of course, I could be wrong.
You write:
“Not sure what other Habs fans say about Suzuki vs KK but I'd consider it. I have them close but they bring different things to the table as centers. "
Then I will include Suzuki in the exchange.
Not sure if CBJs are needed: Armia, 2021 3rd, and prospect B (C).

Remember: Savard (@ 50% Ret) and Foligno (@ 50% Ret).

CBJ
- Suzuki
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- Guhle (Caufield)

MTL
- Laine (@ 50% Ret) (RFA 2021)
- Werenski (RFA 2022)

CBJ is willing to take Armia for free if MTL wants it.
This is a deal template. CBJ might add.
If in exchange Kotkaniemi - Montreal adds.

Good luck. :)

Thank you. This is what I am here for. A conversation with out the exaggeration or stupid arguments trying to belittle others. I think it's workable but we are fans. Wonder what the actual GM's would think about it?

The other factor to consider here is cap savings. Habs are providing some real nice young assets which gives the Blue Jackets both financial and cap flexibility.... at a time when revenue is limited.

Reactions: A Loyal Dog

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
if laine's trade value is declining, so is the value of his next contract. no need to pay him 8m/yr, if the return in a trade is below a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

I would worry about term. Laine probably goes after the 8 year term with high AAV regardless of his season this year. If you try to lower the AAV, Laine and his agent then push for fast track to UFA (3-5 year range).

Whatever way we spin it, his next contract is scary! And his trade value is lower than what it was with the Jets. His trade value has not been lowered to garbage but struggling players and timing is a factor.... this coming right before his next contract and only 2 RFA years left.

Werenski is the one with the highest value.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
You're literally trying to poach two of the youngest players we have - at 22 and 23, the only guys on the roster who're younger are Texier and Bemstrom - and trying to spin it as "move to more youth"?

Holy f***, hon. Quit while you're ahead.

You know it's a bad proposal when Viqsi refers to the OP as "hon" lol.

Reactions: Monk and Fro

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Pile of garbage for good players. Classic Montreal trade. This must be an upgraded version of the Ryder, Halak and a 2nd trade.
KK has more Value than Laine. So there's that.

top6C > streaky lazy wingers who'll be looking for 8.5M$+ contract and is already a head case

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You want controllable top tier assets you gotta give up top tier players.

Guess thats a bit of a problem for Montreal though. :D

KK, Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, Suzuki, Anderson, Petry, Norlinder, Harris, Struble,

We're good, thanks for asking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad