Proposal: Blue Jackets - Habs (Blockbuster)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Fans of hfboards are poorly representing the "with extension" players. 1) If you are signing a player with extension it is because you are a cup contender and need that player now. Pageau a good example. IF CBJ wants Armia they will SIGN AFTER THE SEASON. If CBJ wants to negotiate early for Armia they will trade a 5th round pick 2 weeks before free agency. 2) The winger sign long term market is dead. Centers or D-men pre signing to a playoff team, fine. Wingers value has never been lower.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Neutral fan , but actually believe with so much hatred from both sides the deal is actually fair. Fills direct needs for both teams. It's actually well thought out for both teams.

HABs obtain the stud LHD and Sniper to play with their Cs depth. CLB add the C and fill a shallow farm with prospects/picks.

:clap:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Pile of garbage for good players. Classic Montreal trade. This must be an upgraded version of the Ryder, Halak and a 2nd trade.
You do realise Laine is trash, and will still be either asking for 8 X 8, or a 3 year deal that bring shim to UFA.

We are good, we don't need him, we already ahve in our pipeline a sniper in Caufield, and he's not a crybaby head case who only plays when he wants too.

Enjoy his next horrible contract!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You're literally trying to poach two of the youngest players we have - at 22 and 23, the only guys on the roster who're younger are Texier and Bemstrom - and trying to spin it as "move to more youth"?

Holy f***, hon. Quit while you're ahead.

Not quitting. Only interested in talking to those who want to talk. Some are. When I look at the comments overall so far... it's not far off or a garbage offer and it's a workable deal if both sides discuss more. You can have your own opinion. Your last sentence is avoidable and not necessary if you indeed are here to discuss with respect.

I am poaching two good young players and offering younger assets. It's obvious. The cap flexibility and financials for the Blue Jackets should not be overlooked. What direction do they take moving forward? Hard to say.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Neutral fan , but actually believe with so much hatred from both sides the deal is actually fair. Fills direct needs for both teams. It's actually well thought out for both teams.

HABs obtain the stud LHD and Sniper to play with their Cs depth. CLB add the C and fill a shallow farm with prospects/picks.

It's workable but not easy to pull off. Both sides are giving up assets they prefer not to

respect the D

Jan 27, 2013
:laugh: :laugh: That doesn't get you Zach Werenski let alone Laine at 50% retention, And tell me how Montreal with a flat cap for the foreseeable future can afford to give both Laine and Werenski $18+ million combined long term?
lol, wow...you obviously do not watch many Habs games. I wouldn't trade Romanov straight up for Werenski, he may better actual player but Romanov is a gem and not going anywhere trust me.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013

Who is not a proven PPG Top Line Center; all at the low low cost of "stud LHD and Sniper"

LOL keep dreaming

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
if laine's trade value is declining, so is the value of his next contract. no need to pay him 8m/yr, if the return in a trade is below a 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

CBJ are in a bit of a pickle. They have to make a Qualifying Offer of $6,750,000 if they want to retain his rights, otherwise he becomes a UFA. So, that is the floor for Laine. No reason why he would sign a long-term contract with CBJ unless it is over $8M/year.

The obvious options are that Laine signs the QO, CBJ trade him this offseason, or they pony up for a big long-term contract, which will have A LOT of risk to CBJ given Laine’s incomplete game and inconsistency.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who here thinks Laine isn't worth 6.7m?

His next contract is scary. But his AAV depends on term. I do think he will give the Blue Jackets fits with his asking price.

Problem is he is not trending well now that he is no longer on the stacked Jets forward group and PP. It's certainly humbling for him right now. My guess is he pushes his way to UFA as much as he can if he signs with the Blue Jackets. What center can he play with? That's probably on his mind

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Those who think this is a trash offer by the Habs, need to rethink it. Review all the comments so far and come up with a theme... That theme indicates it's a deal that's workable.

Reactions: Patagonia

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Even as a Habs fans, I find this offer ridiculous for the Blue Jackets. They give a #1 elite D and an elite goal scorer and they receive any game breaker. Put Caufield in the offer at the place of Ylonen and then maybe CBS could consider it

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Those who think this is a trash offer by the Habs, need to rethink it. Review all the comments so far and come up with a theme... That theme indicates it's a deal that's workable.
Habs fans think it's good, most everyone else doesn't that's what I got thru 3 pages

Reactions: Dumais

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs fans think it's good, most everyone else doesn't that's what I got thru 3 pages

Not entirely. Several neutral fans said this is decent. There are different mixes of comments and they range. It's not the usual trash offer comments like we typically see overall

I guess we both choose to see what we want to see but at the end of the day, this deal is workable. Question is do you want to work at it or make fun of it?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was asked for theme...there are always outliers...that is the theme I read...and the OP is terrible in value for CBJ

Theme factoring in Blue Jackets, Habs, and other fan bases. Not just Blue Jackets. I'm assuming you are a Blue Jackets fan? Sorry but this is not the typical trash offer in a blockbuster trade idea we see on HF boards. It's workable and both sides are trading assets they prefer not to. Values can be discussed and other ideas can be tinkered with. However, some want to focus on making fun of it more than talking about it. That's what you choose to see

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Blue Jackets interested in getting younger with more futures? Or is this trade idea not something you are interested in?

- Kotkaniemi
- Romanov
- 2021 1st
- 2021 3rd
- Armia (with contract extension)
- One Prospect like... Ylonen, Struble, Tuch, Mysak.
for

- Laine (50% retention for the rest of the year... cap reasons for the Habs)
- Werenski
Montreal reject this trade.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not entirely. Several neutral fans said this is decent. There are different mixes of comments and they range. It's not the usual trash offer comments like we typically see overall

I guess we both choose to see what we want to see but at the end of the day, this deal is workable. Question is do you want to work at it or make fun of it?

Me personally, not a fan of either team, I wouldn’t be trading Werenski. I would listen to offers on Laine though, he’s just not a guy I would want to rebuild my team around partly due to his contract status and partly due to all the support he needs to be successful. Laine is better on a team who already has all those supporting pieces in place and Laine is just that missing complementary piece to put them over the top. What would be the Habs offer be just for Laine? Keep in mind CBJ desperately needs top 6 C more then anything.

Reactions: Viqsi

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Blue Jackets aren't trading Laine while his value is at the lowest point of his career. Jarmo can't be so dumb as to sell on the dip.

And Werenski's going nowhere unless an equal-quality, young 1st line center comes back.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Kotkaniemi is projected to be a 1C and Romanov a #1 D :sarcasm: I bet my “money” on it:

tenor.gif

There’s no way Columbus trades the two most proven, young, and far better talents. As much as I want to dream lol.
Laine is useless to team success . Not sure if that is important to you though .

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So Columbus not only gives the Habs the best asset in the trade but also the second-best one.

Yeah, that's going to happen.
The 2 assets from Columbus don't have much team control left as oppose to the assets offered by Montreal. Werenski is the shit, no problem there. But, what if Laine wants 8M+ and doens't want to settle for anything else. Is he still worth the same to you? For the Habs that's clearly a problem going into next year and future salary cap structure.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Columbus won’t do this. What’s the incentive to give up a newly acquired scoring winger and one of the best D men in the league? I think they have to ask for the moon. Think Caufield, Suzuki, Romanov and probably more. The Habs also don’t do this. They finally have some centre depth and with time they should become the one two punch down the middle they’ve wanted forever. Romanov also looks like a future #2-3 DMan, maybe a #1 to fill the spot left by Petry and Weber. Hab fans need to be patient. The team isn’t a cup contender, even with the players brought in this year. Maybe look at a smaller deal to get someone like Foligno who can maybe help with winning a round or two and help fill the spot left with Gallagher’s injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad