Friedman: Blue Jackets a fit for Quick?

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I hope you realize this is Friedman talking out of his ass. There's nothing behind this. Don't even know why this is even a thread.

10 Tidbits: Updated Notes on Upcoming LA Kings Trade Scenarios

From John Hoven
February 4th 2019

"Jonathan Quick trade here.Let’s add a brief update to this. If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter. From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there. There’s a lot of ifs tied to this scenario; however, it makes good sense on many levels. CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen has to be coming to grips with the fact he will likely lose his top two free agents this summer. Trading them now could hamper their playoff aspirations. Yet, adding Quick would give them cost certainty in net for a few years (Bob is reportedly looking for Carey Price-type money, which is about $10M per season x eight years) and provide a solid mentor for young Joonas Korpisalo. Bobrovsky is 30 years old, two and a half years younger than Quick – and without anywhere near the playoff success. If Columbus did sign their current netminder to a long-term extension, that would almost surely spell the end of Korpisalo’s time in Ohio. For LA, the most curious part of the deal would be if Blake could get a first rounder next season. The Kings already have two this year. Having another pair next year could be better than having three this year. What are the Kings expecting in return for Quick? We covered that in the ‘deep dive’ article linked in the first sentence of this section."

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Wouldnt someone like Howard or if healthy soon, Ryan Miller make more sense for Columbus? Though I somehow doubt that BJs are on Millers trade list.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I dont blame them though, its pretty important for people how the weather is where you live.

Most people absolutely hates cold weather, snow, snow/rain at the same time etc. I know how it is, lived with that my whole life. And i can tell you, its not very fun going for long walks with the dog every day in those conditions lol...

I live in a country thats cold as hell and its snow/ice on the road from December to March and cold, windy and rains a lot from September to December. Not exactly my first choice, but i would have to move to another country to get away from that, away from family and friends so that makes it kind of difficult to move. If it wasnt for family/friends i would move to Florida or California asap.

This nonsense only comes up in Columbus threads. I've seen it for Winnipeg, too.

Winter is pretty warm in Ohio lately. Other than the polar vortex it's snowed here like 10 times in three years. That might be a slight exaggeration, but the point remains.

Quick seems like he would be a good fit for Columbus. This makes a lot of sense if Bob is moving to FLA before the deadline.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
This nonsense only comes up in Columbus threads. I've seen it for Winnipeg, too.

Winter is pretty warm in Ohio lately. Other than the polar vortex it's snowed here like 10 times in three years. That might be a slight exaggeration, but the point remains.

Quick seems like he would be a good fit for Columbus. This makes a lot of sense if Bob is moving to FLA before the deadline.
Its also because of the team and the market. Its hard to get mad if you get traded to Pens because of Malkin and Sid for example even if its not very nice there in the winter. CBJ losing Panarin and Torts as the coach doesnt help...
NY helps because its NY, Chi, Tor, Habs, Detroit, Boston original six teams etc.
People bring it up because of the whole package, and sadly CBJ isnt a strong market for those reasons. But they have a decent fan base but pretty mediocre attendance %.

I still think its a decent market though with some very good young players. But i also understand why they arent top 10 or even top 20 on the list of teams players wanna play for.

CountKong

Jun 5, 2018
Cool, another thread where we couldn’t get past the first page without bashing the city of Columbus. Fun forum here.
I agree some posters are rude about the city, I've never been personally so I see it like any normal city. That being said, given the choice I think most people, if money was a non-issue, would live in a beach city. (I assume you are referring to Bandit's comments). I love my city too but wouldn't be offended by someone saying a beach city is more appealing. Heck i'd even take Vancouver beaches where the water is freezing.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Jackets could be a fit definitely. Wonder which other teams might be in on him as well. Avs will certainly be after a goalie, but it is tough to see them going after Quick after the investment made in Grubauer unless they find a taker for him and LA doesn't want something unreasonable for Quick.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Cool, another thread where we couldn’t get past the first page without bashing the city of Columbus. Fun forum here.
While the bashing I bet is annoying. I have family and friend all through Ohio and I was born in the state, been to Columbus many times. It would not be my ideal place to set up shop. Different strokes for different folks. But I do sympathize that bashing of certain areas gets to be at times very much in the beating a dead horse area.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Its also because of the team and the market. Its hard to get mad if you get traded to Pens because of Malkin and Sid for example even if its not very nice there in the winter. CBJ losing Panarin and Torts as the coach doesnt help...
NY helps because its NY, Chi, Tor, Habs, Detroit, Boston original six teams etc.
People bring it up because of the whole package, and sadly CBJ isnt a strong market for those reasons. But they have a decent fan base but pretty mediocre attendance %.

I still think its a decent market though with some very good young players. But i also understand why they arent top 10 or even top 20 on the list of teams players wanna play for.

That meme is getting really tiring........

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Bobrovsky to FLA for Brassard+Heponiemi+Conditional '20 1st (if Bob extends)

Quick to CBJ for Nash+'20 1st

While I don't like the term left on Quick's contract, this actually could work out quite well for Columbus over the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: Fro

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I feel like Quick helping an underdog team like Columbus to win a Cup is about the only way I’d be okay with him ever not wearing a Kings sweater. Plus, they did give us Carter and Gaborik.

If he’s traded, I hope he at least signs a one-day contract with us the summer he retires so he can still say he retired as a King. It’s already no question that his number is heading to the rafters.
haven't seen you post in a while...always love your avatar. I wish that was their jerseys...ok back to Quick

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Campbell and Peterson look like they can give LA quality goaltending so I am not concerned there. My concern will be with the leadership and compete that Quick brings. The team plays harder in front of quick and if they are not he gets them going. That will be what is missed.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bobrovsky to FLA for Brassard+Heponiemi+Conditional '20 1st (if Bob extends)

Quick to CBJ for Nash+'20 1st

While I don't like the term left on Quick's contract, this actually could work out quite well for Columbus over the next 2-3 years.

first is good but I wouldn't want to wait a year and that would be a very low pick.
Why would Florida give a 1st to Columbus if Brassard re-signs?

How is Foudy looking?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Sure but the only way to change that is to have players who act as professionals and commit to helping the team establish history. See: Any team other than the original 6.

Someone has to step up and hopefully the league looks into that. Getting the Jackets some respectability and history will set them as a solid team for years to come and help the league financially as it is one less market they have to worry about.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

The attendance in Pittsburgh looked surprising low last night, than again I tuned in late and maybe they just all left early.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
first is good but I wouldn't want to wait a year and that would be a very low pick.
Why would Florida give a 1st to Columbus if Brassard re-signs?

How is Foudy looking?

The response from Mayor said kings would want a '20 1st bc they have 2 1st in 19 already...so that deal works in that realm

And foudy is looking great, and wouldn't be included in such a deal for quick

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I would want to see someone like Milano be apart of a Quick package, given the ice time the kid can produce and would be a 20 goal scorer next season, as opposed to a draft pick that won't make an impact for at least two years.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I would want to see someone like Milano be apart of a Quick package, given the ice time the kid can produce and would be a 20 goal scorer next season, as opposed to a draft pick that won't make an impact for at least two years.

Milano + Nash + 2nd for Quick?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
10 Tidbits: Updated Notes on Upcoming LA Kings Trade Scenarios

From John Hoven
February 4th 2019

"Jonathan Quick trade here.Let’s add a brief update to this. If the Florida Panthers can somehow pull off a trade with Columbus for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Jackets announce a deal for Quick soon thereafter. From what we understand, preliminary discussions have taken place and the interest is there. There’s a lot of ifs tied to this scenario; however, it makes good sense on many levels. CBJ GM Jarmo Kekalainen has to be coming to grips with the fact he will likely lose his top two free agents this summer. Trading them now could hamper their playoff aspirations. Yet, adding Quick would give them cost certainty in net for a few years (Bob is reportedly looking for Carey Price-type money, which is about $10M per season x eight years) and provide a solid mentor for young Joonas Korpisalo. Bobrovsky is 30 years old, two and a half years younger than Quick – and without anywhere near the playoff success. If Columbus did sign their current netminder to a long-term extension, that would almost surely spell the end of Korpisalo’s time in Ohio. For LA, the most curious part of the deal would be if Blake could get a first rounder next season. The Kings already have two this year. Having another pair next year could be better than having three this year. What are the Kings expecting in return for Quick? We covered that in the ‘deep dive’ article linked in the first sentence of this section."

I know the Kings need to retool or rebuild, but man trading Quickie feels like trading a dear friend..
But Kings get any kind of credible offer they gotta do it.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad