"Blow the Zone" Horvat Strikes Back

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Imagine having that cringe factory as your captain. The players couldn't be more happy that he's gone and it shows.

And it's just a matter of time before NY fans turn on him and his bloated contract.

Good riddance fake leader!
What?????

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Had to captain through the worst management team in history but lets place the blame on bo.

If i was bo and had read fan comments after the trade id tell the fanbase to go f*** themselves. Greasy keyboard swine acting hurt after spending the last 6 weeks taking shots.
Also the totally good faith and not at all unreasonable takes about his skill in a contract year.

If a guy is on pace for 50 and all people do is whine about shooting percentage, say his defensive play is overrated, and lament how overpaid he’s gonna be then don’t be surprised when he doesn’t really like you that much.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I personally never understood the love affair fans had with Horvat other than the fact he's canadian. Good player and seems like a decent person but I think fans got way too attached thinking he was the next Linden after they strapped the c on him at a young age. The amount of Horvat jerseys you see around town is actually kinda sad given the last decade has been a complete afterthought. It's not Horvats fault that Benning was a complete idiot but the love affair for Horvat still makes little sense.
The following jersey hoarding made sense.

*Linden brought us out of the dark 80s and lead us to game 7 in 94.
*Bure was this teams first real superstar and was worth the price of admission by himself
*Naslund/Bertuzzi were one of the most exciting lines in hockey and made everyone forget about the Messier years
*Sedins/Luongo brought in the greatest era in Canucks history. Sedins entrenched themselves in the community and charity work while providing countless memorable moments on the ice.
*Burrows was a true underdog story that people could relate to.
*Kesler and Bieksa were cocky and smug jerks but they were our jerks and expressed some of the f*** you to the hockey world that many of us hold ourselves.

To me it just seems like people were lost after the Sedins retired and gravitated towards Horvat and bought up his jersey since there was nobody else. I just hope the next decade is much better and the Horvat Jerseys are replaced by jerseys that bring joyful moments as a fan.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I personally never understood the love affair fans had with Horvat other than the fact he's canadian. Good player and seems like a decent person but I think fans got way too attached thinking he was the next Linden after they strapped the c on him at a young age. The amount of Horvat jerseys you see around town is actually kinda sad given the last decade has been a complete afterthought. It's not Horvats fault that Benning was a complete idiot but the love affair for Horvat still makes little sense.
The following jersey hoarding made sense.

*Linden brought us out of the dark 80s and lead us to game 7 in 94.
*Bure was this teams first real superstar and was worth the price of admission by himself
*Naslund/Bertuzzi were one of the most exciting lines in hockey and made everyone forget about the Messier years
*Sedins/Luongo brought in the greatest era in Canucks history. Sedins entrenched themselves in the community and charity work while providing countless memorable moments on the ice.
*Burrows was a true underdog story that people could relate to.
*Kesler and Bieksa were cocky and smug jerks but they were our jerks and expressed some of the f*** you to the hockey world that many of us hold ourselves.

To me it just seems like people were lost after the Sedins retired and gravitated towards Horvat and bought up his jersey since there was nobody else. I just hope the next decade is much better and the Horvat Jerseys are replaced by jerseys that bring joyful moments as a fan.

Horvat seems destined to be in Tony Tanti territory forever. He had some nice individual seasons, but the team was so bad that it will ultimately not be as meaningful as the guys that contribute to playoff teams.

Anyway. After sleeping on it, still disappointed Horvat decided to dig at this market like that. For a guy who was always so careful with what he said, I think he knew what he was doing. And for a fanbase that gushed over him, that kind of sucks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Screenshot_20230409_112611_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230409_112625_Chrome.jpg

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Bo has Hank & Danny’s cell #;
he should talk to them about how loud Rogers Arena is when you can actually lead your team into the playoffs…

Take your shots at management, ownership all day long but to put down Canuck fans while propping up Isles fans is lame.

But hey, anything to make fans forget you just went an entire month without scoring a Goal. Right?

This is spot on. I have no problem with a comment on finally playing meaningful games in March... and April. However to come at the fans is bitch move to me.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I usually don't think much of these sorts of comments, but behind Horvat's words you can tell there's genuine resentment about his years here.

I've never expected much from the fans at the arena, but Horvat captained the team through a time where most seasons were done months before the playoffs. The glimmer of hope the Bruce streak gave led to a fantastic crowd for a while. Due to the 2020 pandemic, he's never experienced a late playoff push or actual playoff crowd here.

His leadership and accomplishments also never warranted any intense passion, given how deliberately milquetoast his image (and often on-ice play) was. So I think the dig was very dumb, unfair and uncharacteristic of what he showed during his time in Vancouver. A guy like Luongo can talk shit the way he was treated here all day long. Horvat has absolutely no right. He largely got a free pass for the moribund performances his team put out, he was well liked by fans and media alike despite not doing much to warrant all the love and the current Canucks FO put him in a place to not just compete for the playoffs but also to get paid fat stacks of cash in a celebrity city.

So Horvat can feel bad about his time in Vancouver all he wants due to the lack of competitiveness or crowd intensity, but when put in a leadership position to spur change he did nothing but keep his head down. The same people he took a shot at were the ones constantly loving and forgiving him.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
No he was talking about the fans and atmosphere in the rink. One of the biggest cowards to wear the jersey. Pathetic

Why, because you think Vancouver fans are so much better then Islander fans and that his response is so offside that you personally think he deserves to be called a coward.

Is it possible that it’s true and they are not a fan based of narcissistic entitled whiners like us Canucks fans. Bo really did love you, don’t forget, we broke up with him.

Reactions: mathonwy

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Why, because you think Vancouver fans are so much better then Islander fans and that his response is so offside that you personally think he deserves to be called a coward.

Is it possible that it’s true and they are not a fan based of narcissistic entitled whiners like us Canucks fans. Bo really did love you, don’t forget, we broke up with him.
I’ve disliked Bo for years as I have heard from people in the room what he is like. Not to mention his complete cowardice on the ice throughout his tenure. Easily the most gutless captain the team has had. Also, I think Islanders fans are better than Canuck fans but that’s not really the point. He was coddled by most of this fanbase and then goes out of his way to disrespect them. In summary, a coward.

Edit. I’ve bet Bo and he is a nice guy but he was brutal in the room and not a leader

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I picture this as a case where the teacher's pet spends years trying his hardest to behave and be well-liked, but the teacher still ignores him and seems to favor the straight-shooter troubled kid in the back of the classroom instead (Miller), and on their way out, they're like "Man, **** that place."

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Well, that’ll earn him boos upon his return, that’s for sure haha.
Had he not said anything the fans probably would've given him a warm welcome. He Kesler'd himself here for no reason. Could've just said it's fun to be in the playoff chase.

Absolutely got nothing against him being salty, I would be in his shoes. I also really liked him here. He was reliable and scored clutch goals in the few games that mattered. That said, he's always been classier than this and usually gives lame simple answers to the media, so this is a bad look for him.

No way he's worth 8.5 either.

Reactions: racerjoe

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Had to captain through the worst management team in history but lets place the blame on bo.

If i was bo and had read fan comments after the trade id tell the fanbase to go f*** themselves. Greasy keyboard swine acting hurt after spending the last 6 weeks taking shots.

"Waaaah we don't want do go through another rebuild :( :( :("

He was vocal about being on board with the team trajectory while he was here, he was just too stupid to realize the team sucked. He's probably sour because the fans wanted a rebuild and were waking up to the reality that this group led by him just isn't good enough.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Gonna lie, Horvat's statement doesn't really change my opinion of him as it was perfectly on-brand.

Reactions: jd22

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I love how some are trying to turn this into a "the fans are the issue" argument. This is an entertainment industry....entertain us. If an actor is terrible, or even alright, in an awful movie, regardless of how inept or horrible the direction, writing, budget or production, and they take a swipe at critics or fans, they're dicks too. If an author lets out a steam pile of crap, even at his editor or patrons urging, are they not dicks if they lash out in the same way? Your name is still attached to this project, Bo, you were very much part of the problem.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat can go kick rocks. I've criticized his play a ton over the years but the overwhelming majority of this fanbase would not stop supporting him, and he takes a dump on those same people. I love being right.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I'm not bothered or offended by his comments. It's definitely a strange cheap shot at the fans.. for really no reason?

Horvat will be remembered as the Canuck captain for the worst era of Canucks hockey in history. And thats saying something. It's obviously not his fault we've sucked for nearly a decade but this type of character has to get you thinking that maybe he was the most responsible for the tension in that locker room. We all agree the team looked happier and looser after he left. I always felt that was unfair but I think there's some truth to it now.

Reactions: Cogburn

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Re-listening to his comments, I think what Bo really meant to say is that being in an intense playoff race, where every game is high-stakes and the fans are going nuts in the stands, is 'a lot better than Vancouver'.

And who can argue with that? For the last three seasons, the Canucks have been effectively 'done'
by the 20-game mark. When you know your team is shutting it down in early April, it's pretty hard for the fans to get too excited.

Much ado about nothing imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad