Confirmed with Link: BLOCKBUSTER: Phaneuf to Ottawa in 9 Player Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Honestly, none of the other guys you are getting will have an NHL future.

Bailey could turn into a decent 4th liner.

Matt Frattin could play in your bottom 6, but he really shouldn't. He's not good.

Yeah, I'm assuming all the guys are just AHL fodder.

Soooo, where does Phaneuf fit in?

Methot - Karl
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

???

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
I think the bad taste in my mouth comes from it being Phaneuf. I'd probably be A-ok with this if it were any other overpaid top 4 defenseman. I'll get over it quickly... it fills a giant hole we have all been complaining about.

Interesting and unexpected move.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
Holy whatever I cannot believe this. I'll miss Michalek for sure and Phaneuf's contract might be an issue (I'm not looking forward to all the whiney posts that will come inevitably), but the first instict is to like it. Know nothing about those other names apart from Phaneuf and Frattin tough.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Going to be extremely weird seeing him in a Sens jersey. Hopefully without the pressure of being captain especially in Toronto that he can just play his game.

We have another option on the point now for the power play as he has a big shot.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kind of how I feel too. I've always liked Michalek and what he brings, i think he's more valuable then a lot of people seem to have thought lately, but he's injured half the time.

Michalek is a useful player but since Spezza left he's no longer a core player.

I think he could thrive under Babcock.

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, none of the other guys you are getting will have an NHL future.

Bailey could turn into a decent 4th liner.

Matt Frattin could play in your bottom 6, but he really shouldn't. He's not good.

Im guessing you haven't seen our bottom 6

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Good trade by Murray imo. Finally did something to try to fix our defense.

But i am going to miss Michalek and seeing him in a leafs jersey is going to make me sad. :(

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah, I'm assuming all the guys are just AHL fodder.

Soooo, where does Phaneuf fit in?

Methot - Karl
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

???

That's what I'm thinking.
Actually looks respectable imo.

Lindberg and the 2nd I'm wary about given that it's gone to Toronto.
Cowen with Babcock hopefully doesn't work some magic and turn him into a Hal Gill-esque player.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
giphy.gif

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Can you give us the low-down on the other names?

Any Leaf fan for that matter?

Losing Lindberg hurts. He was the guy I had big hopes for even though his AHL start has been a bit rough.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded veteran defenceman and captain Dion Phaneuf to the Ottawa Senators in a nine player deal. Along with Phaneuf, the Leafs send forwards Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and defence prospect Cody Donaghey to the Senators in exchange for defenceman Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Toronto Maple Leafs have traded veteran defenceman and captain Dion Phaneuf to the Ottawa Senators in a nine player deal. Along with Phaneuf, the Leafs send forwards Matt Frattin, Casey Bailey, Ryan Rupert and defence prospect Cody Donaghey to the Senators in exchange for defenceman Jared Cowen, forwards Colin Greening, Milan Michalek and Tobias Lindberg as well as Ottawa’s second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Draft.

That's some impressive analysis.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Murray was looking for a Top 4 to complement Karlsson-Methot-Ceci.

Phaneuf is a big upgrade from any of the other 3 guys.

Sucks we had to give up Michalek. Unsurprisingly we had to give up a prospect and a pick. The Leafs can just give Greening/Cowen a shot and drop them if it doesn't work out - something we can't quite afford to do.

Might mean MacArthur is close...

Can you imagine if he comes back soon...

Hoff-Turris-Ryan
MacArhthur-Pageau-Stone
Prince-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Smith-Lazar-Dzingle
extra Neil

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Wiercioch-Wideman
Extra Boro

That seems like a great lineup to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.