Proposal: Blockbuster: EDM + OTT

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
This is a no go for the oilers, and really, just not the type of trade that has any grounding in reality.
I’m sorry sens fans, you could have kick started your rebuild if you would have got proper value for Karlsson, but you got hosed.
And while Stone and Duchene still hold value, there is no way a team would let you gut their entire prospect pool just to have those two for one year.
This oilers fan is genuinely hopeful that things turn around for you guys.

Reactions: BabyPanda

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Dorion did accept a trade with Edmonton it would look something like this;

One of Duchene or Stone to EDM

Ottawa gets Brodziak, Larkin and a 2010 2nd that gets upgraded to a 2021 1st if the player extends with Edmonton. If Edmonton trades the player to Toronto then Ottawa gets a 2022 2nd.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers < Duchene, Stone (Wideman and/or Borowieki could also be added)

Sens < Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bouchard, Lucic

Edmonton load up offensively while dumping Lucic's contract

Ottawa gets 3 young, skillful players for their rebuild

Why would the oilers trade that much just to get rid of lucic contract and 9 months have nothing to show for it.

Some fans need to get a grasp of the fact it won't cost the equivalent of 3 first rounders to move him

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Bruh, I know our forward group is thin but you wanna trade Nurse AND Bouchard for forwards? What in the fuuuuuuuuckkk? Not even gonna get into how both the sens forwards are rentals... this proposal is a mess.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
This is so bad for Edmonton. Duchene and Stone are upcoming UFA's and have you not seen what Ottawa has been receiving in trades lately?

Bouchard is the player type we have needed for years, Nurse is a potential top pairing D, JP is a potential 1st line RW. There is no need for Duchene since we have Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Extending Stone will come at a price of 8.5 million + per season if he even wanted to extend in Edmonton. Lucic is obviously a cap dump but it's not worth it just to rent Duchene and Stone for a season.

The realistic returns that Duchene and Stone should bring back as rentals will be a 1st and some mid range prospect.
Stone is arguably worth more than all of those pieces paired together besides the combination of Nurse + Dobson.

I kinda rant about this all of the time, but it’s true. Potential is a very slippery slope. Selling teams want the premium of the upper echelon of that spectrum i.e., they want the higher return for Poolparty due to his draft pedigree and apparent potential. Obviously, the buying teams is vice versa in that regard. It’s your typical but low sell high mantra.

With that being said, Poolparty isn’t getting the premium for potential. I know he’s your sentimental prospect, but he doesn’t get the premium. He has done everything to not earn that premium rather than earn it. Dobson, in the other hand, has the argument for that potential, solely due to no experience in the organization along with the draft pedigree, position, and etc... you can make a list for all that, but it’s doesnt really matter. Poolparty is not a 1st line forward in any decent amount of time. He needs to competent restructure his approach to the game if he wants it.

“Nurse is a potential top pairing Dman”... well so is Sami Vatanen... you get my point? They will most likely stay in the top 4. Same thing with what we always hear about why the AVs (OTT) pick is almost untouchable... due to it most likely being #1. You don’t pay the #1 price until it’s #1.

Nurse —> Stone... that’s a fair deal.
Duchene —> Bouchard... that’s a fair deal.

Now... the premium to get rid of Lucic, being Poolparty, is not worth the Oilers time.

This trade isn’t bad, just accounting for value. Taking team needs into account, maybe this deal isn’t very good because it takes away 2 Top 4 D away from the oilers who are young and already good along with someone they believe in... for as what most people already have stated; two rentals.

Sorry for the long-winded post... I’m not attacking you... just sharing my thoughts.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Stone is arguably worth more than all of those pieces paired together besides the combination of Nurse + Dobson.

I kinda rant about this all of the time, but it’s true. Potential is a very slippery slope. Selling teams want the premium of the upper echelon of that spectrum i.e., they want the higher return for Poolparty due to his draft pedigree and apparent potential. Obviously, the buying teams is vice versa in that regard. It’s your typical but low sell high mantra.

With that being said, Poolparty isn’t getting the premium for potential. I know he’s your sentimental prospect, but he doesn’t get the premium. He has done everything to not earn that premium rather than earn it. Dobson, in the other hand, has the argument for that potential, solely due to no experience in the organization along with the draft pedigree, position, and etc... you can make a list for all that, but it’s doesnt really matter. Poolparty is not a 1st line forward in any decent amount of time. He needs to competent restructure his approach to the game if he wants it.

“Nurse is a potential top pairing Dman”... well so is Sami Vatanen... you get my point? They will most likely stay in the top 4. Same thing with what we always hear about why the AVs (OTT) pick is almost untouchable... due to it most likely being #1. You don’t pay the #1 price until it’s #1.

Now... the premium to get rid of Lucic, being Poolparty, is not worth the Oilers time.

This trade isn’t bad, just accounting for value. Taking team needs into account, maybe this deal isn’t very good because it takes away 2 Top 4 D away from the oilers who are young and already good along with someone they believe in... for as what most people already have stated; two rentals.

Sorry for the long-winded post... I’m not attacking you... just sharing my thoughts.

This is all true in theory.

The problem with the logic is that

1) Edmonton isn’t a contender and acquiring Duchene and Stone won’t make them a contender
2) Giving up Nurse and their best D prospect makes their defence really bad to the point where the team is worse for having Stone and Duchene on it
3) A year later, Edmonton has nothing to show for the trade

In this way, Nurse, PoolParty, amd Bouchard are far more valuable to Edmonton than Duchene and Stone despite being far worse than those two players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

How many times has a team traded a top 10 selected prospect for an upcoming UFA, especially 3 of them? The last time I can think of was Erat for Forsberg and it pretty much cost GMGM his job.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Kevin Lowe would have made this deal instantly.
Then we'd make it to the finals again.
And then all of our UFAs would leave again.
And we'd be back in a rebuild again.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Kevin Lowe would have made this deal instantly.
Then we'd make it to the finals again.
And then all of our UFAs would leave again.
And we'd be back in a rebuild again.

Sure, you could rebuild, or you could use the now available cap space to bring in additional win-now talent

member 300185

I feel like this is bad for both teams. Ottawa could get more when trading each individually and the Oilers aren't going to trade that much for 2 1 year rentals.
You sure about that after what happened yesterday? Just sayin'

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015

Decent idea on paper, but doesn't end up working well in principle.

Sens Receive: Puljujarvi, Nurse, Lucic, Strome, Yamamoto and the corpse of Andrej Sekera = ($16,400,000 + Nurse's extension)

Oilers Receive: Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Mark Borowiecki, Bobby Ryan (35% retained = 4,712,500) = ($19,262,500)

CONDITIONAL DRAFT PICKS:

If Edmonton does not extend either of Mark Stone OR Matt Duchene, Ottawa gives Oilers a 2nd in 2021

If Edmonton extends either of Mark Stone OR Matt Duchene, they give Ottawa a 2nd in 2020

If Edmonton extends both Mark Stone and Matt Duchene, they give Ottawa a 1st in 2020

------------

Ottawa gets: Puljujarvi to play with Tkachuk, a young 3C in Strome, Yamamoto to develop alongside Colin White, solidifies their top 4 on the left side for the future with Chabot and Nurse, and get two veteran cap dumps in Lucic and Sekera.

Edmonton gets a ton of offensive depth with Duchene and Stone, get a veteran guy who can fill in for Sekera at a much cheaper cap hit, and get offensive depth with Bobby Ryan. They do all of this, without having to move their blue chip prospect in Bouchard, or their 1st round draft pick this upcoming season which could be used to bolster their defense corps.

RNH/McDavid/Stone
X/Draisaitl/Ryan
X/Duchene/X

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Decent idea on paper, but doesn't end up working well in principle.

Sens Receive: Puljujarvi, Nurse, Lucic, Strome, Yamamoto and the corpse of Andrej Sekera = ($16,400,000 + Nurse's extension)

Oilers Receive: Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Mark Borowiecki, Bobby Ryan (35% retained = 4,712,500) = ($19,262,500)

CONDITIONAL DRAFT PICKS:

If Edmonton does not extend either of Mark Stone OR Matt Duchene, Ottawa gives Oilers a 2nd in 2021

If Edmonton extends either of Mark Stone OR Matt Duchene, they give Ottawa a 2nd in 2020

If Edmonton extends both Mark Stone and Matt Duchene, they give Ottawa a 1st in 2020

------------

Ottawa gets: Puljujarvi to play with Tkachuk, a young 3C in Strome, Yamamoto to develop alongside Colin White, solidifies their top 4 on the left side for the future with Chabot and Nurse, and get two veteran cap dumps in Lucic and Sekera.

Edmonton gets a ton of offensive depth with Duchene and Stone, get a veteran guy who can fill in for Sekera at a much cheaper cap hit, and get offensive depth with Bobby Ryan. They do all of this, without having to move their blue chip prospect in Bouchard, or their 1st round draft pick this upcoming season which could be used to bolster their defense corps.

RNH/McDavid/Stone
X/Draisaitl/Ryan
X/Duchene/X
This is worse for Edmonton than OP lol. Absolutely Horrid for Edmonton Jeeeez

Reactions: TFHockey

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Makes no sense for Edmonton. Doesn't respect their needs and underestimates Puljujarvi, who is way too young to give up on.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Sure, you could rebuild, or you could use the now available cap space to bring in additional win-now talent

How does trading Lucic and Nurse for two more expensive players save cap space right now? Show your work.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Considering what they just got for Karlsson, I would offer Yamamoto, Dmitri Sakumorov or William Lagesson, Lucic, a 3rd rounder in 2020 and a conditional 1st (2nd if he doesn't re-sign with us) for Stone and Boroweicki. Not interested in Duchene.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I feel like this is bad for both teams. Ottawa could get more when trading each individually and the Oilers aren't going to trade that much for 2 1 year rentals.
After seeing what Ottawa received in their last 2 trades, I’m not so sure about that.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Stone and Duchene will sign in ottawa
Watch

How can you be so out to lunch? There is absolutely no reason for Stone and Duchene to choose not to test free agency (except to protect themselves after having a bad year or getting injured but Stone can't even sign an extension until January so for him that reason doesn't even apply.

They will both be gone this summer.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
How can you be so out to lunch? There is absolutely no reason for Stone and Duchene to choose not to test free agency (except to protect themselves after having a bad year or getting injured but Stone can't even sign an extension until January so for him that reason doesn't even apply.

They will both be gone this summer.
Wanna bet? I bet at least one signs if not both.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How does trading Lucic and Nurse for two more expensive players save cap space right now? Show your work.

We were discussing options for next summer. If you can't keep up with the conversation, better not try to join in at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad