Proposal: Blockbuster: EDM + OTT

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Oilers < Duchene, Stone (Wideman and/or Borowieki could also be added)

Sens < Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bouchard, Lucic

Edmonton load up offensively while dumping Lucic's contract

Ottawa gets 3 young, skillful players for their rebuild

Wow, generous offer. Dorion would love to make this deal.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
San Jose didn’t pay for extended Karlsson. They paid for 1 year Karlsson. They went all in on now. If Karlsson signs great but they didn’t trade for him with the expectation that he would. To my knowledge, that has never happened outside of trading for signing rights.
The conditions on the picks (resigning/going back to east) would argue against that.

Doug Wilson on extending Karlsson: “We wouldn’t have done this deal if we weren’t very comfortable with that opportunity. That’s why I was able to have discussions with the agents and Erik.” Reported by Kevin Kurz.

That more or less proves what I was saying. Once you know that you have the opportunity to resign, you can then pay that premium. Obviously the didn’t have to (mainly due to this weird situation), but you should get what I’m trying to say. Wilson spoke with the agents and Karlsson before the trade went down.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
The conditions on the picks (resigning/going back to east) would argue against that.

Doug Wilson on extending Karlsson: “We wouldn’t have done this deal if we weren’t very comfortable with that opportunity. That’s why I was able to have discussions with the agents and Erik.” Reported by Kevin Kurz.

That more or less proves what I was saying. Once you know that you have the opportunity to resign, you can then pay that premium. Obviously the didn’t have to (mainly due to this weird situation), but you should get what I’m trying to say. Wilson spoke with the agents and Karlsson before the trade went down.

But they didn’t pay for the extension. They paid the EK rental rate not the EK signed rated.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
But they didn’t pay for the extension. They paid the EK rental rate not the EK signed rated.
Ok... I see what you mean. Idk if I interpreted what you were saying earlier different or anything.

Although, I agree with the sentiment, they don’t want EK as a rental. They went into that trade with EK not being a rental. If so, they wouldn’t hve made the trade. Now if that’s the aspect of the trade, idk. We don’t know.

I don’t really know if that is a completely valid argument regarding the Karlsson situation. It’s a completely valid argument for something like Doughty you know? Hoffman has term, but that situation is similar to Karlsson.

***EDIT: I guess to fully incorporate what you’re saying... I do agree with the fact that the trade was like a signed Karlsson (for example 4 years at 10mil) it would’ve been a different trade... for the better... we don’t know. The situation surrounding this throws out normal logic for a trade like this. I don’t think we’re both wrong, but it’s just fun to argue.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Vancouver isn't expected to compete for a playoff spot this season

Lucic also has a worse contract than Eriksson

He does? Like... how? Term? One year longer?

Eriksson has yet to play a full season in Vancouver. Lucic plays every game and he has done so almost every year he's been in the league. He is also three years younger than Eriksson, who is 33. Contract wise who do you think is more likely to earn his pay, remaining healthy and score 50 points?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Both sides are going to say no.

Edmonton is trading a lot for a rental. They probably save enough money to resign one of the two players, but for a team with less depth, they can't afford to give three good assets for one.

And Ottawa isn't going to pay Karlsson, so why do they want to pay Lucic? Melnyk isn't going to want to take cap dumps like that.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ignorance is bliss. Why don’t you scribble down the best players that ever signed as UFAs in Edmonton or Ottawa in the last 20 years?

Gotta agree with you. Ottawa and Edmonton are in the same boat in terms of City attraction. Should throw Winnepeg in there as well

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
Ignorance is bliss. Why don’t you scribble down the best players that ever signed as UFAs in Edmonton or Ottawa in the last 20 years?
And is it because living in Edmonton is crappy or playing for a crappy team/owner?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Gotta agree with you. Ottawa and Edmonton are in the same boat in terms of City attraction. Should throw Winnepeg in there as well

Ya it is what it is, it's really hard to attract UFA players in some of these Canadian cities. It's no coincidence that the big UFA's almost always go to the really big/nice cities.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
They haven't been crappy for 20 years.
Yes 2 good years in 20. Both those years they got upper end FAs that other more desirable locations offered more money to. Yes hindsight the FAs they signed haven't worked out but there was a lot of interest from other teams.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Yes 2 good years in 20. Both those years they got upper end FAs that other more desirable locations offered more money to. Yes hindsight the FAs they signed haven't worked out but there was a lot of interest from other teams.

I think you're reaching on both fronts:

1) The Oilers were not crappy for 18 of the last 20 years. You are using an absurdly liberal definition of the word to prop up your argument and you know it.

2) Which UFAs are you counting as having been big name UFAs? The only one I can think of is Lucic - who wasn't even that big of a fish in his UFA year - and the Oilers paid through the nose for that. I doubt many teams put those numbers on the table for him. Regardless, even if you don't agree and want to count him, that's 1. Who else you got?

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I think you're reaching on both fronts:

1) The Oilers were not crappy for 18 of the last 20 years. You are using an absurdly liberal definition of the word to prop up your argument and you know it.

2) Which UFAs are you counting as having been big name UFAs? The only one I can think of is Lucic - who wasn't even that big of a fish in his UFA year - and the Oilers paid through the nose for that. I doubt many teams put those numbers on the table for him. Regardless, even if you don't agree and want to count him, that's 1. Who else you got?
Sekera was the best dman available in his period. Oilers were in fact s terrible team or a cash strapped team that didn't have any money to buy FAs. By reports Lucic was offered more in other places.

So basically since Katz bought the team and oilers had an owner that had money to buy FAs oilers had 1 good year where they arguably landed the two best FAs that we're available.

Now prove your statement that Edmonton isn't a desirable place to live besides the oilers team

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Sekera was the best dman available in his period. Oilers were in fact s terrible team or a cash strapped team that didn't have any money to buy FAs. By reports Lucic was offered more in other places.

So basically since Katz bought the team and oilers had an owner that had money to buy FAs oilers had 1 good year where they arguably landed the two best FAs that we're available.

Now prove your statement that Edmonton isn't a desirable place to live besides the oilers team

I think we have very different definitions as to what constitutes a big fish UFA. Anyways, you're blind to the issue so I'm not going to engage with you any further: I look forward to Karlsson signing as a UFA in Edmonton next summer (despite having put Edmonton on his 10 team no-trade list) or Duchene or Stone and you proving me wrong.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think we have very different definitions as to what constitutes a big fish UFA. Anyways, you're blind to the issue so I'm not going to engage with you any further: I look forward to Karlsson signing as a UFA in Edmonton next summer (despite having put Edmonton on his 10 team no-trade list) or Duchene or Stone and you proving me wrong.

The likelihood of Karlsson signing in Edmonton is slightly better than him signing in Ottawa, though, isn't it? :sarcasm:

Reactions: ivanlwan

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
So I showed that when oilers were a decent team, had cap space, had an owner that spent money, they landed the arguably the two biggest ufa at that time.

And you showed ....... Nothing....to back YOUR claim of Edmonton the city being undesirable to play in. Then you stated something outlandish..that I didn't say one word about.....karlson coming to Edmonton....to try to save face..... Then you tucked your tail between your legs and did the old,,, I don't like that you are questioning my stupid comment, and I'm taking my toys and going home.......well done my friend....well done....

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Lived in both Ottawa and Edmonton for nearly a decade in each. Ottawa is definitely nicer. Not even saying that as a fan of their hockey team. Edmonton has its charm though. Irrespective of that, Edmonton at this point is the more desirable place to play at this point. Owner who cares about a quality product, new arena downtown, best player in hockey etc. All that being said, if Stone and/or Duchene decide to leave, they don’t be signing there.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
So I showed that when oilers were a decent team, had cap space, had an owner that spent money, they landed the arguably the two biggest ufa at that time.

And you showed ....... Nothing....to back YOUR claim of Edmonton the city being undesirable to play in. Then you stated something outlandish..that I didn't say one word about.....karlson coming to Edmonton....to try to save face..... Then you tucked your tail between your legs and did the old,,, I don't like that you are questioning my stupid comment, and I'm taking my toys and going home.......well done my friend....well done....

There is nothing I can say that would change your mind and that is abundantly clear, so why would I try? 90%+ of posters on this site know that it will be an absurd anomaly if any big fish UFAs sign in Edmonton as UFAs. If you want to argue with people about that, go make a poll and ask the question and make an option for "Edmonton fan voting yes".

I'm not going to change your mind though and I know that. Thankfully, I don't care.

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
There is nothing I can say that would change your mind and that is abundantly clear, so why would I try? 90%+ of posters on this site know that it will be an absurd anomaly if any big fish UFAs sign in Edmonton as UFAs. If you want to argue with people about that, go make a poll and ask the question and make an option for "Edmonton fan voting yes".

I'm not going to change your mind though and I know that. Thankfully, I don't care.
Your the one that made the comment not other posters or me. You also gave zero evidence of your comment. Like I said, when Edmonton was competitive, had space, owner that spends, they got two of the top FAs, arguably. You haven't even attempted to disprove this. I think you do care but realize you made a stupid comment that you can't back up.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kevin Lowe would have made this deal instantly.
Then we'd make it to the finals again.
And then all of our UFAs would leave again.
And we'd be back in a rebuild again.

This is almost true, but for the fact that I can't see Chris Pronger in any of the names listed...

Pronger was worth more than Duchene + Stone. Neither of these guys is getting us to the promised land.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton trades arguably their best d-man, the man who could likely turn out to be their best d-man and their best forward prospect who is likely to turn into a solid top 6 power forward for 2 soon to be UFA forwards who will command a combined 15M+ in salary just so that they can get rid of Lucic.

At the end of the day Edmonton has no blueline now or in the coming future, while Ottawa has the most pathetic group of forwards in the history of the NHL now and in the coming future as Colorado will end up drafting Hughes with Ottawa's 1st.

Yeah, that doesn't look too good for either team, but Ottawa at least has stuff with value to trade away at the end of the deal.

Both teams lose, but Edmonton loses even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad