Proposal: Blockbuster: EDM + OTT

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Oilers < Duchene, Stone (Wideman and/or Borowieki could also be added)

Sens < Puljujarvi, Nurse, Bouchard, Lucic

Edmonton load up offensively while dumping Lucic's contract

Ottawa gets 3 young, skillful players for their rebuild

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like this is bad for both teams. Ottawa could get more when trading each individually and the Oilers aren't going to trade that much for 2 1 year rentals.

Reactions: olli

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Edmonton can't afford to move two talented young d-men that project as big pieces long term. Back to having a stacked offence though.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't know if the the Oilers have the cap space and while they're getting the better players their short and longterm D corps take a hit they can't really afford to take.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is so bad for Edmonton. Duchene and Stone are upcoming UFA's and have you not seen what Ottawa has been receiving in trades lately?

Bouchard is the player type we have needed for years, Nurse is a potential top pairing D, JP is a potential 1st line RW. There is no need for Duchene since we have Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Extending Stone will come at a price of 8.5 million + per season if he even wanted to extend in Edmonton. Lucic is obviously a cap dump but it's not worth it just to rent Duchene and Stone for a season.

The realistic returns that Duchene and Stone should bring back as rentals will be a 1st and some mid range prospect.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I feel like this is bad for both teams. Ottawa could get more when trading each individually and the Oilers aren't going to trade that much for 2 1 year rentals.

Considering what Ottawa received for Karlsson Id say bundle them in the same trade if thats what it takes to get anything at all.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This is so bad for Edmonton. Duchene and Stone are upcoming UFA's and have you not seen what Ottawa has been receiving in trades lately?

Bouchard is the player type we have needed for years, Nurse is a potential top pairing D, JP is a potential 1st line RW. There is no need for Duchene since we have Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Extending Stone will come at a price of 8.5 million + per season if he even wanted to extend in Edmonton. Lucic is obviously a cap dump but it's not worth it just to rent Duchene and Stone for a season.

The realistic returns that Duchene and Stone should bring back as rentals will be a 1st and some mid range prospect.

I don't believe any team would take Lucic if you included just one of Puljujarvi, Nurse or Bouchard

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I could see Bouchard and Nurse being our number 1 pairing in a few years, no way we are moving them.

We just saw the return for Karlsson, but you still think Ottawa is going to get that much for two forwards who could walk in a year? Nope.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I don't think you realize how the salary cap works
I do. By next year I'm sure Lucic or Sekera will end up on LTIR which will free up space. In addition, move out Russell and with the cap rising you should have space to sign one of them.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I do. By next year I'm sure Lucic or Sekera will end up on LTIR which will free up space. In addition, move out Russell and with the cap rising you should have space to sign one of them.

Russell has a no-movement clause

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hahah okay so why would Edmonton ‘load up’ by adding two rental forwards and giving up two huge pieces of their present and future on defence?

Wideman and Borowiecki aren’t upgrades on anything we have already. They don’t move the needle.

No thanks.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
According to capfriendly : 2019-20: Player submits a 10 team trade list. 2020-21: Player submits a 15 team trade list.

He can be moved.

What kind of value do you think Russell has? The kind where a team would take him on without shedding salary of their own?

Or the kind of value that requires the Oilers include an asset or two in order to get a team to take on his remaining 2 years?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

No. It's only really really really bad for Edmonton.
This would be an absurd steal for Ottawa for two pending UFAs.

How can you possibly say that Ottawa can get more for each individually when they got far less for one of the premier players in the league?

Last edited:

Asimplehockeyfan

Sep 6, 2018
Too many rentals, if stone was extended then I'd say it would be worth it. I do think that you could get rid of lucic contract with that package.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No. It's only really really really bad for Edmonton.
This would be an absurd steal for Ottawa for two pending UFAs.

How can you possibly say that Ottawa can get more for each individually when they got far less for one of the premier players in the league?

You know what else is really really really bad for Edmonton? Lucic's contract

San Jose wasn't dumping one of the worst contracts in the league as part of their deal for Karlsson

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
What kind of value do you think Russell has? The kind where a team would take him on without shedding salary of their own?

Or the kind of value that requires the Oilers include an asset or two in order to get a team to take on his remaining 2 years?
As a Leafs fan I thought Martin had no value, Leo wouldn't get a contract over $1.5 million. There are GM's who believe Russell is good and is worth his contract.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You know what else is really really really bad for Edmonton? Lucic's contract

San Jose wasn't dumping one of the worst contracts in the league as part of their deal for Karlsson

Don't really care. The Oilers are giving 3 premium assets in that trade just to offload a contract for 2 soon to be free agents. Horrendous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad