Value of: Blake Wheeler's Next Contract

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
The best the Jets can hope for is higher dollars, fewer years. Five years at $8 mil per. These posts about him coming in at $6.5 per is pure fantasy.

I think people are being realistic here. He will be 33 yrs old not 29 yrs old his prime years are behind him. I am hawks fan but I loved how Winnipeg looked last year and believe this is there year hands down and will contend for a long time, but over paying 1 guy who is 33 yrs old especially if they win would hurt them long term.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think people are being realistic here. He will be 33 yrs old not 29 yrs old his prime years are behind him. I am hawks fan but I loved how Winnipeg looked last year and believe this is there year hands down and will contend for a long time, but over paying 1 guy who is 33 yrs old especially if they win would hurt them long term.

You see this refrain over and over again on this site and yet the players always get paid regardless of the hypothetical fallout six years from now. Blake Wheeler is one of the best wingers in the game and will produce at a high level for several more years. He's going to be paid market value.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
People need to realize that the Jets big cap crunch begins next season. Putting Wheeler on a short-term, high AAV contract will kill their cap situation for the next few years, which is right in their contending window. They would be smarter to get a lower AAV and give him long term, and then let cap inflation diminish the impact in the later part of the contract. Jets should be willing to give him a 7-8 year contract if they can keep his AAV at $7M or below.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
him and pavelski next summer are 2 really interesting UFAs. Great players but are over the ages 33 when they will sign their next deals. Anything over 3 years is a mistake. Overpay on the money if you have to, but I'd like to give him no more than 3 years. Maybe 4 if the money is a bit less in AAV.
3x 7.5
or 4 x 7 would be ideal.

I'd walk if he wanted a 5 year deal TBH

Whileee

May 29, 2010
him and pavelski next summer are 2 really interesting UFAs. Great players but are over the ages 33 when they will sign their next deals. Anything over 3 years is a mistake. Overpay on the money if you have to, but I'd like to give him no more than 3 years. Maybe 4 if the money is a bit less in AAV.
3x 7.5
or 4 x 7 would be ideal.

I'd walk if he wanted a 5 year deal TBH
Neither player is going to take a short deal unless the AAV is crazy. Neither team can afford a very high AAV in the short term because they are in their competitive windows and can't afford the cap space. The notion that either is going to sign a short deal for a total of <$30M total seems unrealistic.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You see this refrain over and over again on this site and yet the players always get paid regardless of the hypothetical fallout six years from now. Blake Wheeler is one of the best singers in the game and will produce at a high level for several more years. He's going to be paid market value.
A quick google search, knowing that highest paid musicians doesn't necessarily mean highest paid singers, yielded this list:
  • #10 - Mariah Carey. Net Worth: $510 Million. ...
  • #9 - Jay-Z. Net Worth: $560 Million. ...
  • #8 - Bono. Net Worth: $600 Million. ...
  • #7 - Celine Dion. Net Worth: $630 Million. ...
  • #6 - P. Diddy. Net Worth: $700 Million. ...
  • #5 - Dr. Dre. Net Worth: $780 Million. ...
  • #4 - Madonna. Net Worth: $800 Million. ...
  • #3 - Herb Alpert. Net Worth: $850 Million.
  • #2 - Paul McCartney. Net Worth: $1.1 Billion.
  • #1 - Andrew Lloyd Weber. Net Worth: $1.2 Billion.
We're boned.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Given wheelers age and his point totals up to this point, it would be safe to assume he will drop back down to around PPG. Maybe he does stay in the 90 pt area, maybe not. Given how GM’s are forced to give term to these players in order to keep them, I say trading him is the best situation while he has his best value. I think NHL teams should operate like MLB teams when it comes to trading. If there wasn’t this sense of loyalty in the NHL teams can skip the rebuilt phase or at least make it re-tool rather than rebuild. Trade the players for younger pieces/picks and keep the cycle going. Just how my Sharks should have traded Thornton, Marleau and Pavelski several years ago. They might have missed playoffs for one year, maybe two but they would have been set for years to come with the pieces and picks thy got back (assuming they drafted correctly).

In mlb an important rule change affected trades....

Teams used to get comp picks if they lose players to other teams as free agents that the acquired at the deadline so they giving up young players knowing if they don’t sign the player they would get comp draft picks for that player they could use to replace what got traded.

A few years ago they changed thus and said pure rentals won’t get compensation. They had to be on the team roster at the start of that final contract yr to get comp picks if he walks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
People need to realize that the Jets big cap crunch begins next season. Putting Wheeler on a short-term, high AAV contract will kill their cap situation for the next few years, which is right in their contending window. They would be smarter to get a lower AAV and give him long term, and then let cap inflation diminish the impact in the later part of the contract. Jets should be willing to give him a 7-8 year contract if they can keep his AAV at $7M or below.

I agree...I’m just looking at their roster independently.

Looking at 19/20 they have 6F, 2D, 0G under contract with $45M plus next yrs cap increase to spend.

Fir sake say it increases by $2M so they gave $47M to spend.

$6M for 2G.

The big signings are Laine and Trouba. Say they sign for combined $17M.

This now gives them 7f, 3D, 2g with $24M left.

Connor and Morrissey sign 2 yr bridges for $2,5M each for

7F, 4D, 2G with $19M

If you leave 1F and 1D open and fill roster with an avg of $1M her oer would be6F, 2D signed so now it’s..

13F 6D 2G with $11M to spend.

Could you sign wheeler to 8M per..yes. ThAt will be the big decision of trading him for futures or players who are cheaper. There are a few players after bridges ir elcs ends that would want higher money.

Little and Perrault moved would make things easier freeing up $10M.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
If wheeler leaves, scheifele and connor will see a dip in point production, if he stays, scheifele and connor will see a rise in point production.

essentially you are paying for 3 players for the price of one, and oh not to mention its the jets number one line too so yeah I think the jets will give him a long term contract and not regret it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Wheeler understands the reality of professional sports, it’s a contract that will see him decline. I think he likes the team and probably sees it as his best shot at a cup. I honestly think he’ll leave a lot of money on the table, taking a major hometown discount to stay with the club. I’m saying $6-7 million for 3-4 more years.

The3rd

Jun 20, 2018
Another 90+ point season and he's 9.5 over 5 years minimum. Laine will get 10+ for sure. No 40 goal scorer will ever get less than 10 again. Jets did an amazing job with 55 and 27 but they have such a deep top 6 that I can't see many of them making less than 6. Even KC. will be getting 7 plus in the new cap era. Kudos to them on their drafting and development but I hope for their sake they find a way to keep their core intact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad