Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
why would "'we' feel badly?" why should "critics be silenced?" and, who is "we," including for "we can't give a guy... benefit of the doubt?"
So part 1:

What if one of Blake's children was very ill? What if he has a broken foot, and is doing everything he can to battle through that? If I was saying some of the stuff that is being said about Wheeler around here and found that out, I'd feel like an ass.

Part 2: I didn't say silenced, please don't put words in my mouth. What I was saying, is, if Wheeler started playing more like the Wheeler everyone loves (think 17-18) his critics around here would probably stop criticising him, no?

Part 3: We is the collective of this board, the Twitterverse, and some media hellbent on tarnishing Blakes image for clicks.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Watching him trying to turn back up ice...almost has me convinced Blake is nicked up, a bit

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Horseshit penalty! :laugh:

I thought he looked better last night...but he was facing some heat, so I think he dug a little deeper. Still had some moments of awkwardness. He must be battling something. Hopefully he'll heal up with a few days off here. I'm sure no one feels worse about Wheeler's first few games than Wheeler himself. I just find it strange that Maurice and the team are taking it so personally. Although if it's a ploy to motivate the team - make it an us-vs-them thing, then hey, whatever works...

If I was to venture a guess, I'd say it's due to how tight-knit this team seems, especially with the pandemic situation bringing them closer together. I'd go as far as to say they're a bit like a family.

I have a brother, and when I was younger, he used to kick the shit out of me all the time, but if anyone else came near me, he'd defend me to no end. Maybe he just had anger issues :laugh:

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
So part 1: What if one of Blake's children was very ill? What if he has a broken foot, and is doing everything he can to battle through that? If I was saying some of the stuff that is being said about Wheeler around here and found that out, I'd feel like an ass.

appreciate the reply.

well, yeah, but suppose none of that is an explanation for why he is playing poorly? also, if an injury is cause, that raises relevant questions (that I've already posted in other posts.) someone shouldn't necessarily feel badly for criticizing wheeler when there are reasons for criticism and the explanations for his performances are lacking. as you emphasized, depending upon the circumstances, one might feel badly... I think that I was also questioning the usage of "we" in your post as in for whom you are speaking when typing, "we."

Part 2: I didn't say silenced, please don't put words in my mouth. What I was saying, is, if Wheeler started playing more like the Wheeler everyone loves (think 17-18) his critics around here would probably stop criticising him, no?

ok, I was using a synonym in the context that you wrote, "quiet his critics." there would probably be a decrease in criticism if he were to play well. You write that message and your initial post as if criticism were unwarranted and/or baseless. I'm not going to assume your perspective. With that said, from what you write, are you of the opinion that someone shouldn't be criticized and/or allowed to be criticized if the person is perceived to be playing well. Is criticism not healthy (and I am not referring to bashing, but criticism, whether it would be complimentary or not.)

Part 3: We is the collective of this board, the Twitterverse, and some media hellbent on tarnishing Blakes image for clicks.

ah, point taken. maybe, it is possible to not "give wheeler the benefit of doubt" while also not being "hellbent on tarnishing him."

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So a week ago we were told by Maurice to leave Wheeler alone because "He's got 11 f***ing points in 10 games"

Well, now Wheeler has 12 points in 14 games. Or 1 point in his last 5 games.

The upside is he hasn't been a minus in the last 4 games.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So a week ago we were told by Maurice to leave Wheeler alone because "He's got 11 f***ing points in 10 games"

Wasn't he a minus yesterday?

Still see just flashes of the old Wheeler. Man, someone let me know if he wins a puck battle...he's really fighting it out there. At least he hasn't looked gassed quite as often recently.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he got a 5v5 point!

now rocking an uber efficient 0.84 5v5 pts/60 to accompany his whopping 22 GF%

Reactions: hn777

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
To me it looked like wheeler was playing hurt (ribs or shoulder) and he’s starting to heal up. It’s one thing to lose a step and drop off but wheeler didn’t even look remotely close to a healthy player (in my opinion).

It looked like he was struggling to skate, he wasn’t throwing hits, wouldn’t shoot the puck, the only time he would was when every other option was gone and it just ended up being a muffin, not even trying to pick a corner. It didn’t even look like he had the strength to use his stick (poke check, wave it around), often a player would bump into him and he would head to the bench shortly after.

I sure hope that is the case because it’ll be a long 4 years if he’s actually been healthy.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Thought he at least looked a little better in the last two games, his skating is getting there...

Reactions: Hulide and SUX2BU

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wonder how the narrative would change if Wheeler got the .957 goaltending that Ehlers has had at 5v5 compared to the .854 that he is currently getting.

Reactions: ElLoboBlanco

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I wonder how the narrative would change if Wheeler got the .957 goaltending that Ehlers has had at 5v5 compared to the .854 that he is currently getting.

wheeler is the worst of our "regular" forwards on the team in allowing shot attempts against (CA), xGA, and HDCA (per 60 stats). so the Jets are giving up more, and better quality shots against while wheeler has been on the ice this season in comparison to the rest of the team.

no doubt that ehlers' goaltending is unsustainable though, and it's not ALL on wheeler (pairing him with KC kills his defensive stats even further). however, gotta compare the shot quality against while on ice. id expect wheeler to have a far worse sv% since the teams giving up more in quantity, and in dangerous shots while he's on the ice.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
he's spent a lot of time with a defensively inept KC so that evidently bleeds into his "with" stats.

having said that, i can see why his goaltending is sub 900 when he's been on the ice

upload_2021-2-17_10-27-21.png

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I said it in another thread and I'll say it in the Wheeler thread

Blake is playing hurt and has been since Game 1 ..........

Does seem that way, but not if you believe Wheeler as of February 4th:

The veteran forward dispelled any notions during his Zoom call availability on Wednesday that he is playing hurt, or at least being hindered by something. "I mean if I'm in the lineup, you should take that as me being a hundred percent," answered Wheeler to the question if he was playing through something.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Does seem that way, but not if you believe Wheeler as of February 4th:

The veteran forward dispelled any notions during his Zoom call availability on Wednesday that he is playing hurt, or at least being hindered by something. "I mean if I'm in the lineup, you should take that as me being a hundred percent," answered Wheeler to the question if he was playing through something.

Of course that is going to be the answer that’s given when the issue is questioned.

he’s missed something like 8 games in his career

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
he's spent a lot of time with a defensively inept KC so that evidently bleeds into his "with" stats.

having said that, i can see why his goaltending is sub 900 when he's been on the ice

upload_2021-2-17_10-27-21-png.397227
Dear lord!

Maurice loves to throw out his "best" and hope they somehow outscore the other team's best, so take that into account, but...

The Jets with Wheeler & Connor on the ice: 47.39 CF%, 35.49 xGF%, 18.75 GF% (3-13).
The Jets w/o Wheeler or Connor on the ice: 51.59 CF%, 50.54 xGF%, 67.74 GF% (21-10).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Dear lord!

Maurice loves to throw out his "best" and hope they somehow outscore the other team's best, so take that into account, but...

The Jets with Wheeler & Connor on the ice: 47.39 CF%, 35.49 xGF%, 18.75 GF% (3-13).
The Jets w/o Wheeler or Connor on the ice: 51.59 CF%, 50.54 xGF%, 67.74 GF% (21-10).
wow disgusting

Reactions: sipowicz

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Wheeler as a 5v5 player is a complete and total liability on the ice. I am sorry to say it, but it is true. The guy has been on the ice for 19 goals against 5v5. He has been on the ice for 5 goals for (talking 5v5). 19 against, 5 for. That is horrifically bad. Like, if you weren't called Blake Wheeler, you would be on the Moose bad.

Move him down to the third or fourth line. Then use him on the powerplay to try to make a reason for fans to think he is still a top tier player if you want. The vast majority of his points now come in easy ice and man up situations. 5v5, Joel Armia is way better, and we gave him away for nothing.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I did not know that Wheeler's GF v. GA ratio was that bad. That is definitely cause for concern. I would think that if we, as fans, hockey-wise or not, can see this, the coaches, management and owner have got to be seeing the same thing. Right? I've also noticed that even on the PP, the puck seems to be "dying" on his stick, that is, when he can actually handle a pass. Anyone else notice that his eye-hand coordination seems to be slightly off?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I know some don't consider +/- of any value, but it still is a stat.

Blake Wheeler : -11

Summing up the rest of the Jets that are minus: -13

The Jets as a team goal differential: +10
i dont think it's fair to compare a player's traditional +/- vs the team's all strength's goal-diff. the latter contains PP/PK scoring, where as the traditional +/- doesnt. so a player like wheeler looks far worse since he individually doesn't get +'s for PP GF, yet the all-strengths team goal-diff does get those added. he's a -3 at all strengths....... so it's not like it helps his case greatly lol.

but a more adept comparison

at 5v5 this team is +1 in goal diff. and Wheeler is a -14. that's more telling imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad