Value of: Blake Wheeler

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I predict they sign him long term to 7 mill a season. Protection buyout for Wheeler, and a good cap hit for the team.

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
My guess would be 5 years 7.5 million. Only 1.9 million more than the 5.6 he makes now. He's the captain and wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
It's (total salary + total bonuses) / years, technically.

Wheeler will be aging, but not yet 35+ and therefore not eligible for performance bonuses - which are calculated at year's end and included as an overage penalty for the following year, if applicable.

His bonuses can only be of the signing variety, paid on July 1st for the year to come. They're indeed included as part of the cap hit.

Anyway, if his salary+bonuses is $9M and then $8M and then $8M and then $7M over a four-year deal, his cap hit will be $8M in all four years.

He won't be playing for the jets if He's getting 8 mil

He'll have to give some kind of home discount if he wants to stay as the captain on a team pushing for the cup

Unless Winnipeg makes a drastic cap dump

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Wouldn’t give up the assets to trade for him but I’d gladly pay him 9M per year over 6 years as a UFA next summer.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
love wheeler. Something just clicked for him.. crazy to see his progress.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's not a reason to justify it, it's why it could be a bit more palpable because the Jets have a 8-9M dollar player making 6.125M.

Just because they have one great player on a great contract, doesn't mean they should overpay to keep Wheeler. As WC correctly pointed out, Winnipeg is deep on the wings with skilled players (who will also be expensive players), and it is the least important position and the easiest position to fill. There's also the fact that Sheif's deal will expire 5 years after Wheeler's, which means if you extend Wheeler for longer then 5 years, that too will cause issues down the road - and that's without him declining significantly.

I feel for Winnipeg. This is a brutal decision to make. Either sign him (because currently, he is a very good player), and deal with some potentially mid/long term consequences... or you let him walk. Something that is really tough to do for players of his caliber. Emotionally you sign him, no questions asked. You get him on the best contract possible, and do not look back. Logically... I think you have to let him walk. His age, position, cost, and Winnipegs depth on the wing (inc their top prospect)... all suggest that they could do without him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just because they have one great player on a great contract, doesn't mean they should overpay to keep Wheeler. As WC correctly pointed out, Winnipeg is deep on the wings with skilled players (who will also be expensive players), and it is the least important position and the easiest position to fill. There's also the fact that Sheif's deal will expire 5 years after Wheeler's, which means if you extend Wheeler for longer then 5 years, that too will cause issues down the road - and that's without him declining significantly.

I feel for Winnipeg. This is a brutal decision to make. Either sign him (because currently, he is a very good player), and deal with some potentially mid/long term consequences... or you let him walk. Something that is really tough to do for players of his caliber. Emotionally you sign him, no questions asked. You get him on the best contract possible, and do not look back. Logically... I think you have to let him walk. His age, position, cost, and Winnipegs depth on the wing (inc their top prospect)... all suggest that they could do without him.

If the Jets need to overpay i say let him walk. If they are negotiating a fair contract given the circumstances (ie Wheelers age), Scheifele's contract is a boon to making it all fit. That's all i am trying to say.

Reactions: Riptide

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yet, I don't see you offering 2 firsts for him. Or even a 1st and a conditional 1st if he resigns with your team. Is that even possible to make a conditional draft pick like that?

Because that doesn't matter in my statement. Today, Blake Wheeler is the best player on the Winnipeg Jets.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I never heard the explanation of why he refused to sign with the Coyotes, Would you know the story behind this?
He was done with college and could have played out the end of the season with the Yotes. They decided to save some $ and made him wait to sign in the off season.......which didn’t happen. He took less from Boston and showed the Yotes his middle finger. They hate him but should direct their anger inside the org. Think Gretzky.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Today? Yes.
I guess you didn't watch the Jets in the playoffs.
Scheif had 14 goals in 17 games and stepped his game up like all great players do during big games.
There is little doubt he would have scored more than the record of 19 had they made the finals.
He also had 6o points in 60 games this past season as well.
I'm not saying Wheeler isn't a great player because there is an argument to be made about him being the best RWer in the league but he is not the best, Scheifele is the best player on the Jets.

Just as an aside, a reporter asked Maurice who the fastest Jet was and Maurice answered Scheifele.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad