Blake Wheeler upset with the Jets management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Minny media would probably love to see Wheeler go there.

I'd be surprised if Wheeler wasn't disappointed. His best buddy was traded and the team is losing a lot. He'll have a chance to make a decision about whether he wants to be part of the Jets' future in due course.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Actually just recalled that when that issue first came out while we were in the midst of our great season last year and everything was roses, Wheeler also commented on this article and he still said pretty much the same thing. I remember his quote in the Winnipeg Sun.

anyone else remember this.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Here's the reason I was concerned by that tweet; when's the last time you've heard a cornerstone player who still has so much term left on his contract speculate with the media about whether he will be on the team in the future. Players typically never say that, even those who have asked for a trade, which makes me think that maybe there is something weighting on him that makes him say that

If that were the case I would not blame him at all. You need to take care of you and the family.

The reality is this, the age spread between the old core and the coming new core is too wide.

its not anybody's fault, its no reason to be angry, its just reality. I am not a big wheeler fan but if he wanted to leave we shake his hand and wish him all the best, exactly what happened with Andrew Ladd.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Here's the reason I was concerned by that tweet; when's the last time you've heard a cornerstone player who still has so much term left on his contract speculate with the media about whether he will be on the team in the future. Players typically never say that, even those who have asked for a trade, which makes me think that maybe there is something weighting on him that makes him say that

Yes and if something is weighing on him he's surely going to come out and say something about it in an off the cuff comment to the media.

If you look hard enough you'll usually find what you're looking for.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
To me Wheeler seems to wear his emotions on his sleeve quite a bit. Not sure if he is the guy we want as a Captain. At the moment I am leaning heavily towards Scheifele as the new Captain and giving Wheeler an A.
He will be a great leader for this team for the next few years but his emotions can sometimes get the best of him. It's understandable that he see's the current management giving up on the old core but they have made it abundantly clear that if he can maintain his competitive nature that he will have a spot on this team. It may not be a top 6 spot but it will be a spot. That is entirely up to him and his play.

does he really think this? Has anyone in the media asked him that? Or is this another "assumption"?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yes and if something is weighing on him he's surely going to come out and say something about it in an off the cuff comment to the media.

If you look hard enough you'll usually find what you're looking for.

You're right, maybe I'm just reading something which isn't there.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Blake Wheeler cares a lot. He's deeply, emotionally invested in the culture that TNSE are trying to foster. Losing is just plain unacceptable to the 'man'.

Blake Wheeler in my opinion, will be the next Captain of the Winnipeg Jets.

"...we don't want excuses, we want results..." a quote from a very wise man.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
does he really think this? Has anyone in the media asked him that? Or is this another "assumption"?

It's pretty obvious they have so the better question is. Does he realize that? And does it affect him in any way?
He's a smart man. So I will assume he knows.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Wheeler is the best player on the Jets. He will get a new contract as long as he doesn't ask for $10 million or stupid money like Ladd.
I hope he has 3 good years left.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If that were the case I would not blame him at all. You need to take care of you and the family.

The reality is this, the age spread between the old core and the coming new core is too wide.

its not anybody's fault, its no reason to be angry, its just reality. I am not a big wheeler fan but if he wanted to leave we shake his hand and wish him all the best, exactly what happened with Andrew Ladd.

Except you are about 3 years early with that.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
It's pretty obvious they have so the better question is. Does he realize that? And does it affect him in any way?
He's a smart man. So I will assume he knows.

So far only Ladd is gone. Will he be upset if Thorburn, Stuart and Pevelec are next?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Making mountains out of molehills. We suck this year, he's disappointed. His contract ends in 2019 he said he's not sure if he'll be here past then.

In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue and the Leafs suck.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
"Whining" has got to be one of my least favorite words that is way overused on the Internet. 99% of the time the person isn't whining, but rather expressing a reasonable opinion. Language like that just shuts down any intelligent discussion.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wheeler is the best player on the Jets. He will get a new contract as long as he doesn't ask for $10 million or stupid money like Ladd.
I hope he has 3 good years left.

It depends on his contract year and how well he performs during it that warrants whether he gets another contract.
I'm not a fan of giving guys contract based years of service. It's all about what you've done for me lately. If Wheeler can continue to be a contributing member of this team in 3 years, which I don't see why he can't be. And in what capacity that is. He most likely will not be on the 1st line. So if he feels comfortable with playing down the lineup then he most certainly can have a spot with the Jets. If he feels he deserves top line ice time whether his play is reflective of that or not than he likely will have to go elsewhere. Though any team willing to give a 34 year old 1st line ice time will most likely not be competing for much of anything. Unless that 34 year old is a generational player like Crosby or Ovi.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
First of all I don't see any indication of Wheeler being upset with management in the statement he was quoted. That is just the fact - he might or might not be there. That is it. Why do we need to read something that is not there? Especially negative.

Secondly, this is not about Blake Wheeler or any other player. This is about Winnipeg Jets ... the team. Wheeler is just a soldier there. Maurice was very clear in that interview with Hustler and Lawless 10 days ago. He stated that they realized this core group is good enough to reach 1st level of playoffs and be chased out in 4 games. That is not enough. Jets management wants more. I do, too. Do you?

Me too. Feeling quite optimistic about our future.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
"Whining" has got to be one of my least favorite words that is way overused on the Internet. 99% of the time the person isn't whining, but rather expressing a reasonable opinion. Language like that just shuts down any intelligent discussion.

Opinions about Management should not be done thru media, meeting behind closed doors is where you share your opinion as a professional. If someone complains about GM to media they would be whining unprofessionals.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So far only Ladd is gone. Will he be upset if Thorburn, Stuart and Pevelec are next?

He might be. He was obviously good buddies with Ladd. He likely has more than one friend in that room that will be replaced by new young guys over the next few years. He'll need to come to terms with it eventually. I understand that he is an emotional guy but he needs to deal with it away from the media so stuff like this doesn't happen. Because it will. Especially in a hockey market like Winnipeg in a Canadian Market. A Captain would keep that stuff in the room.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
It depends on his contract year and how well he performs during it that warrants whether he gets another contract.
I'm not a fan of giving guys contract based years of service. It's all about what you've done for me lately. If Wheeler can continue to be a contributing member of this team in 3 years, which I don't see why he can't be. And in what capacity that is. He most likely will not be on the 1st line. So if he feels comfortable with playing down the lineup then he most certainly can have a spot with the Jets. If he feels he deserves top line ice time whether his play is reflective of that or not than he likely will have to go elsewhere. Though any team willing to give a 34 year old 1st line ice time will most likely not be competing for much of anything. Unless that 34 year old is a generational player like Crosby or Ovi.

Jaromir Jagr says..."hey, what about me"? ;)

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Opinions about Management should not be done thru media, meeting behind closed doors is where you share your opinion as a professional. If someone complains about GM to media they would be whining unprofessionals.

The thing is in that tweeted quote it's only an assumption that he is complaining about management and in fact he says there is a bright future which would seem to be giving props to management unless we read into this as sarcasm which again would come back to the assumption part.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jaromir Jagr says..."hey, what about me"? ;)

haha I think Jaromir fits more in the Generational category than in the 65-75 point prime winger category. Jagr is performing similar to Wheeler at 43. If Wheeler is putting up 60 points at even 34 I think he will have a solid spot on this roster.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
haha I think Jaromir fits more in the Generational category than in the 65-75 point prime winger category. Jagr is performing similar to Wheeler at 43. If Wheeler is putting up 60 points at even 34 I think he will have a solid spot on this roster.

I totally agree. I think he had like 100 PTS for NYR at around that time (10 Yrs ago).

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The thing is in that tweeted quote it's only an assumption that he is complaining about management and in fact he says there is a bright future which would seem to be giving props to management unless we read into this as sarcasm which again would come back to the assumption part.

I realize that is not the case here, Im just speaking in general. When I first replied I spoke to the OP saying that he was complaining about management, I realize there is nothing to the tweet now.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He might be. He was obviously good buddies with Ladd. He likely has more than one friend in that room that will be replaced by new young guys over the next few years. He'll need to come to terms with it eventually. I understand that he is an emotional guy but he needs to deal with it away from the media so stuff like this doesn't happen. Because it will. Especially in a hockey market like Winnipeg in a Canadian Market. A Captain would keep that stuff in the room.

I believe he's already come to terms with it

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I realize that is not the case here, Im just speaking in general. When I first replied I spoke to the OP saying that he was complaining about management, I realize there is nothing to the tweet now.

Ok, I do agree with you generally speaking it's best to leave that behind closed doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad