Blake Wheeler upset with the Jets management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Wheeler's contract expires in 2019. :shakehead

Edit: BTW mods, I created a new thread because I couldn't find Wheeler's 'Player Discussion' thread, if it exists feel free to move this in there

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
How can he not be? Make the playoffs, elite team in possession, blow it up, but do it poorly by accident, the year after the McDavid and Eichel draft.

One guy wanted to stick around for what's ahead and that's Buff. Ladd wanted to be a part of it too but Jets were done with him. Whiny Wheeler will be fine.

boanst

May 25, 2013
This tweet does not hint at anything other than Blake admittedly is unable to predict the future. There's no tea leaves to read here.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One guy wanted to stick around for what's ahead and that's Buff. Ladd wanted to be a part of it too but Jets were done with him. Whiny Wheeler will be fine.

Whiny? Let's show a bit of respect here for our top scorer and best player (at worst tied for best player). I am not sure Ladd was negotiating in a way that he was eager to sign, my guess is he saw what was happening and decided to give the Jets zero slack on the contract. Buff is a different beast, he already has a cup and is not motivated by Stanley Cups. This should concern all Jets fans, if we have another season like this, I won't be surprised if the man asks for a trade

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Whiny? Let's show a bit of respect here for our top scorer and best player (at worst tied for best player). I am not sure Ladd was negotiating in a way that he was eager to sign, my guess is he saw what was happening and decided to give the Jets zero slack on the contract. Buff is a different beast, he already has a cup and is not motivated by Stanley Cups. This should concern all Jets fans, if we have another season like this, I won't be surprised if the man asks for a trade

You say respect a guy who you think may ask for a trade? I love Wheeler one of my faves as a player, but if he doesn't like the direction the team is headed then he is not captain material and then you trade him. Imagine the return right about now it would be huge. Scheif will be next captain. None of what we are talking about is true, but if he doesn't agree with GM and wants a trade after two tough years then cya later. Or you stick around and see that good things are just around the corner.

zsam

Mar 26, 2016
Winnipeg
First of all I don't see any indication of Wheeler being upset with management in the statement he was quoted. That is just the fact - he might or might not be there. That is it. Why do we need to read something that is not there? Especially negative.

Secondly, this is not about Blake Wheeler or any other player. This is about Winnipeg Jets ... the team. Wheeler is just a soldier there. Maurice was very clear in that interview with Hustler and Lawless 10 days ago. He stated that they realized this core group is good enough to reach 1st level of playoffs and be chased out in 4 games. That is not enough. Jets management wants more. I do, too. Do you?

jetman

May 21, 2015
Wheeler might be a bit disappointed. Which shouldn't be surprising with how the year is going.

But Wheeler is a professional and any disappointment can and will pass. He is still giving it his all for meaningless games and is on a career year. I don't think we need to worry about him.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
First of all I don't see any indication of Wheeler being upset with management in the statement he was quoted. That is just the fact - he might or might not be there. That is it. Why do we need to read something that is not there? Especially negative.

Secondly, this is not about Blake Wheeler or any other player. This is about Winnipeg Jets ... the team. Wheeler is just a soldier there. Maurice was very clear in that interview with Hustler and Lawless 10 days ago. He stated that they realized this core group is good enough to reach 1st level of playoffs and be chased out in 4 games. That is not enough. Jets management wants more. I do, too. Do you?

The only reason we lost that series in 4 games was out goaltender. He's lying. The team was pretty damn good last year. Does everyone forget how many ppl, were picking the Jets as a team that could make some noise? It's like Chevy pull a Jedi mind trick on 90% of the fan base.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How do you jump to the conclusion he's upset with management based on an off the cuff witty comment? To me it sounds more like he's happy with management actually.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013

I'd like to second this.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
BTW, I don't read much into the quote either. But Im just responding to OP questioning Wheeler losing faith in Jets management. If that's the case then like any player whining about GM, boot em. But I don't think that was the case.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
How do you jump to the conclusion he's upset with management based on an off the cuff witty comment? To me it sounds more like he's happy with management actually.

You seriously think that a well spoken guy like Wheeler meant nothing by a comment like that? I don't think he was seriously calling out management. it was a shot at the media as well, but I doubt it meant nothing. i take is as, I sure as hell hope this team doesn't take that long.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I believe Wheeler see's and has probably been told that this retool is not a one year thing and to expect the same next year, teams make up at the moment is not playoff worthy. He saw what the Jets did in terms of contract with Ladd and probably may think the same happens to him. In terms of the next captain remember Maurice said there are looking for it to be some one who will be here long term.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

When and if we have another season like this I will become concerned. I don't expect that to happen for at least 10 years.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You seriously think that a well spoken guy like Wheeler meant nothing by a comment like that? I don't think he was seriously calling out management. it was a shot at the media as well, but I doubt it meant nothing. i take is as, I sure as hell hope this team doesn't take that long.

It's a joke and yes it's directed at the media.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
If he is upset I don't blame him one bit. He wants to win now.

If management can help him out by doing things like at least playing the right goalie and clean out the sludge from the bottom of the lineup and they show signs of improving with the young talent...I think Blake will be all right. Little would also be in this camp as he said when he signed his last extension that if he thought the team would still struggle over the next 5 years he wouldn't have signed.

Wheeler is emotional and doesn't hide his feelings and this is very raw for him right now. Also not sure if too much is being read into the tweet to begin with.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it is funny that we complain about players who give nothing but canned answers to media questions and any time they speak honestly we try to create a discord in the team drama. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets 28th this year. Next year 29th, still can't beat the Oilers. 15th in 18 and 6th with a Cup win in 19. Wheeler scores winning goal in double OT.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I believe Wheeler see's and has probably been told that this retool is not a one year thing and to expect the same next year, teams make up at the moment is not playoff worthy. He saw what the Jets did in terms of contract with Ladd and probably may think the same happens to him. In terms of the next captain remember Maurice said there are looking for it to be some one who will be here long term.

More jumping to conclusions based on nothing. Does nobody remember the Buff comments from the allstar game? These type of comments mean absolutely nothing. They tell us even less.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
More jumping to conclusions based on nothing. Does nobody remember the Buff comments from the allstar game? These type of comments mean absolutely nothing. They tell us even less.

Why do you watch them? Is there an instruction manual that would help me determine which comments of players and management are literal, which arent? Which are jokes, which aren't? Which have some truth, which have all truth, and which are lies?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Here's the reason I was concerned by that tweet; when's the last time you've heard a cornerstone player who still has so much term left on his contract speculate with the media about whether he will be on the team in the future. Players typically never say that, even those who have asked for a trade, which makes me think that maybe there is something weighting on him that makes him say that

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
To me Wheeler seems to wear his emotions on his sleeve quite a bit. Not sure if he is the guy we want as a Captain. At the moment I am leaning heavily towards Scheifele as the new Captain and giving Wheeler an A.
He will be a great leader for this team for the next few years but his emotions can sometimes get the best of him. It's understandable that he see's the current management giving up on the old core but they have made it abundantly clear that if he can maintain his competitive nature that he will have a spot on this team. It may not be a top 6 spot but it will be a spot. That is entirely up to him and his play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad