Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
1687904928830.png

Like an old good pals sang.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I am surprised anyone wants to trade for him knowing they'll have to pay anything close to his qualifying offer, but I don't think San Jose cares at all about being good next year.

And the fact that if he went UFA, there probably would have been at least one or two teams better than San Jose that would have signed him for $1.5 million for one year and he may not have wanted to go to San Jose if a couple of better teams wanted to sign him on the market.
fitz.jpg

Attachments

• fitz.jpg
    fitz.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 1

Camille the Eel

Good for Blackwood. Good kid who's taken a lot of personal abuse on this board and elsewhere. There's been no reason for it, it's not like he wasn't trying. San Jose is a good place to play and he'll get a good shot to revive his career there. Fare thee well and good luck to you Blackwood. And who knows, he may just get it together, he's athletic enough and has the tools, it's always been a matter of staying healthy and of cleaning up his technique and the way he reads the game. His anticipation could be better though and I'm not sure you can teach that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good for Blackwood. Good kid who's taken a lot of personal abuse on this board and elsewhere. There's been no reason for it, it's not like he wasn't trying.
If I was out there playing goalie I would be trying, but I would expect to get a ton more shit than Blackwood got from this board and elsewhere, because I would be completely terrible.

He was very bad for his last 3 years here. He's a professional and is expected to play better than that. Instead, he's literally been the worst (full time, non-call up) goalie in the NHL over these last 3 years.

Those first two NHL seasons, particularly his second and even more particularly after Hynes was fired, bought him a lot of rope and it's really the only reason people have any faith and hope that he could potentially not be the worst full time goalie in the NHL. That was almost 4 years ago now.

I remember reading something like ''Best goalie in the world since Hynes was fired'' for the remainder of the 19-20 season and his first handful of starts of the 20-21 season, but you could also say he's been the worst goalie in the league since Nasreddine was removed as head coach/Melanson was fired.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
The worst was when they signed a very old and bad Zubrus a couple of months after the season started, where we bought him out but had him on the cap for the entire year because of the 35+ rule that existed back then.

And Pete had him playing with Joe Pavelski for a couple of weeks lol.

I resent that! Btw I'm heading to San Jose for the next 2 years for grad school I'm pumped to get a MB29 Sharks jersey. Going to get that or a discounted Meier jersey

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I resent that! Btw I'm heading to San Jose for the next 2 years for grad school I'm pumped to get a MB29 Sharks jersey. Going to get that or a discounted Meier jersey
Zubrus was a GREAT player here, but his last few years were bad and he really shouldn't have gotten signed by Pete and the Sharks at 37 years old. He was pretty shot by that point.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Good for Blackwood. Good kid who's taken a lot of personal abuse on this board and elsewhere. There's been no reason for it, it's not like he wasn't trying. San Jose is a good place to play and he'll get a good shot to revive his career there. Fare thee well and good luck to you Blackwood. And who knows, he may just get it together, he's athletic enough and has the tools, it's always been a matter of staying healthy and of cleaning up his technique and the way he reads the game. His anticipation could be better though and I'm not sure you can teach that.

there wasn't? lol come on.

Camille the Eel

If I was out there playing goalie I would be trying, but I would expect to get a ton more shit than Blackwood got from this board and elsewhere, because I would be completely terrible.

He was very bad for his last 3 years here. He's a professional and is expected to play better than that. Instead, he's literally been the worst (full time, non-call up) goalie in the NHL over these last 3 years.

Those first two NHL seasons, particularly his second and even more particularly after Hynes was fired, bought him a lot of rope and it's really the only reason people have any faith and hope that he could potentially not be the worst full time goalie in the NHL. That was almost 4 years ago now.

I remember reading something like ''Best goalie in the world since Hynes was fired'' for the remainder of the 19-20 season and his first handful of starts of the 20-21 season, but you could also say he's been the worst goalie in the league since Nasreddine was removed as head coach/Melanson was fired.
It’s not you, who have been passionate about him but never personal about it. It’s the general habit among some fans to take it out on a guy’s personal character, beyond judging their play. He’s been the target of plenty of that. And yeah I suppose it goes with the territory in the NHL. His play truly has been substandard, really poor most of his games last season. But he always struck me as a very likable individual, modest, funny, a little oddball, a team player and I felt for him as his game declined.

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Bratt's odds of becoming a star in his draft year were 4%, so it was about 4 times more than 1 in 100.

Regardless, it's like winning the lottery or a 50/50 raffle and then thinking your odds are higher of winning every subsequent time just because it magically hit once.

Except it's not completely random. Draft choices have a little to do with it. We went for the high ceiling in the late round and it paid off.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
May we never forget .....

View attachment 722311
Was that the season finale in 21-22?

I can't remember if we wore the Jersey jersey in that game or not, but I'm pretty sure that was the game. I don't remember seeing this as a meme, but I clearly remember Dougie kind of taking him out and he got turned around because of that (and there's a very clearly visible Dougie Hamilton in the picture) and it caused a goal against. I remember he was completely terrible that game and I think all the goals were bad, other than this one.

I remember we kept tying it (we may have even had the lead at one point) and he just kept giving it back. And I also remember one of the goals (might have been the game winner) where he was beaten on a wraparound, which originally wasn't called a goal, and I think it was also Dougie who was thought to keep the puck from going over the line. We went to a TV timeout about a minute later and it came back from commercial break to show us that it had been ruled a goal and Dougie didn't get it in time from going across the line.

And speaking of the Red Wings, why do they love giving us our home openers (22-23 and now again in 23-24) and home finale's (2021-2022) against the Red Wings?

Thought we had real solid goalie in him early on. Real promising, all the tools, athleticism yada yada but holy shit he just couldn’t stay healthy.

Oh man just when Bleed thought he wouldn’t have to watch MB anymore he goes to the Sharks lol.
I don't at all hate that he's with the Sharks, other than the fact that I have to still watch him. I was hoping to only have to watch him if we were playing him and just reviewing his goals against when I do my reviews. Now I have to watch him for the Sharks.

He's exactly what the Sharks need though. In fact, I wish they would have done this last summer. No doubt a tandem of Kahkonen-Blackwood could have won them Bedard. This is a year too late for the Sharks, but could still help them get a top-2 or 3 pick next year, instead of the fourth or fifth.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Was that the season finale in 21-22?

I can't remember if we wore the Jersey jersey in that game or not, but I'm pretty sure that was the game. I don't remember seeing this as a meme, but I clearly remember Dougie kind of taking him out and he got turned around because of that (and there's a very clearly visible Dougie Hamilton in the picture) and it caused a goal against. I remember he was completely terrible that game and I think all the goals were bad, other than this one.

I remember we kept tying it (we may have even had the lead at one point) and he just kept giving it back. And I also remember one of the goals (might have been the game winner) where he was beaten on a wraparound, which originally wasn't called a goal, and I think it was also Dougie who was thought to keep the puck from going over the line. We went to a TV timeout about a minute later and it came back from commercial break to show us that it had been ruled a goal and Dougie didn't get it in time from going across the line.

And speaking of the Red Wings, why do they love giving us our home openers (22-23 and now again in 23-24) and home finale's (2021-2022) against the Red Wings?

I don't at all hate that he's with the Sharks, other than the fact that I have to still watch him. I was hoping to only have to watch him if we were playing him and just reviewing his goals against when I do my reviews. Now I have to watch him for the Sharks.

He's exactly what the Sharks need though. In fact, I wish they would have done this last summer. No doubt a tandem of Kahkonen-Blackwood could have won them Bedard. This is a year too late for the Sharks, but could still help them get a top-2 or 3 pick next year, instead of the fourth or fifth.

I didn't remember exactly when it was from (someone else here posted that pic) but I just checked out Youtube and found the game. It was from April 29, 2022. It's at about 5:10 into the video. :D

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I didn't remember exactly when it was from (someone else here posted that pic) but I just checked out Youtube and found the game. It was from April 29, 2022. It's at about 5:10 into the video. :D

Yes, that was the season finale in 21-22.

And yeah, Dougie bumps him a bit on that goal. I didn't nail him on it.

For old time's sake and last time's sake, I'll put on my goals review cap on and go through them once again.

Goal 1 was a pretty stoppable shot that should have hit him. Either went through his blocker arm or just past him. That should hit a goalie, especially one of his size. If you wanna talk about the ''Screen'' on this goal, that type of ''Screen'' happens multiple times per game. If every time a screen like that resulted in a goal, there would be A LOT more goals scored in the league.

Goal 2 was the Blackwood special. A harmless point shot where there's scattered bodies around the ice, but he's completely clueless and does nothing to try to battle and look for this puck and it goes in. It feels like he allows a goal just like this quite possibly every other game on average. Maybe every 2.5 games, where he just can't battle through and gets beaten on the most miniscule of partly cloudy/scattered cloud screens.

Goal 3 was the one I've been over. Dougie bumps him and he really has no chance on it because of that.

Goal 4 was not quite how I remembered. It was not at all a wraparound, but a Dick Trickler that went right through his pads, Dougie tries to fish it out, but it just gets over the line before he could.

And that goal came not too long after Zetterlund tied it on a pretty bad goal on Hellberg and this weak trickler through the pads was the game winner.

One other footnote about this game, it was most notably Steve Cangialosi's final game called. It was also the finale of the 7 years on the staff for Alain Nasreddine. There were really no notable players that had their Devils finale that game. Maybe Geertsen if he played? Not that he's anyone notable, nor is Jon Gillies or Andrew Hammond, or whoever was dressed as the backup that night.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm sure it has been said already...late to the party.

Did anyone check on Bleed?

And. What the hell is Bleed going to do now..?

I think I reflected and thought more about this, than the actual trade news with BigMac..!

Do we have a line on the next balls to the walls topic for him?

Our forum may never be the same.

Him going to SJ may drive Bleed still nuts because that is his alternate team, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad