Blackhawks refused to report sex abuse of players to the police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Come on man, everyone knows the people who have it hardest in our society are middle class white guys from the suburbs.

Our justice system in this country is an absolute disaster and frankly I think just about everyone knows it. Whatever the outcome to this situation with the Blackhawks is, it's almost certainly not going to be satisfying to anyone (and you can apply that to general wrong doing by corporations in the US). Our justice system is a system designed to protect rights, is it really so surprising it's completely inadequate at administering justice when it's a human issue?

It's just kind of sad to me to see so many hiding behind an obviously flawed system and using that as a justification to blindly support a team they cheer for.

seems like you've already formed an opinion on what you think happened despite having incomplete information...the exact reason that rights do exist in the court of law btw

Reactions: ChiHawks10

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Come on man, everyone knows the people who have it hardest in our society are middle class white guys from the suburbs.

Our justice system in this country is an absolute disaster and frankly I think just about everyone knows it. Whatever the outcome to this situation with the Blackhawks is, it's almost certainly not going to be satisfying to anyone (and you can apply that to general wrong doing by corporations in the US). Our justice system is a system designed to protect rights, is it really so surprising it's completely inadequate at administering justice when it's a human issue?

It's just kind of sad to me to see so many hiding behind an obviously flawed system and using that as a justification to blindly support a team they cheer for.

You say the bolded as if it’s a bad thing.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let's remember that a certain someone on Hawks was suspended for homophobic slurs against an opponent.

There's a big difference between saying that in the heat of the moment during a hockey game against an opponent and what is being alleged here against a teammate. Be careful.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It's amazing what a closed shop NHL reporters are. I'm sure people reporting on this story know far more details than they're letting on - but a lot of the reporting is still innuendo. If it were any other industry, or frankly any other sport, I think that there would be far more detailed reporting out there.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Did Keith waive before or after the allegations? I'd like to believe he had no understanding of this, but when asked in an Oilers interview about it he basically said "it was a long time ago, I don't remember"

Idk man, people don't just forget that kind of shit. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Jesus.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Did Keith waive before or after the allegations? I'd like to believe he had no understanding of this, but when asked in an Oilers interview about it he basically said "it was a long time ago, I don't remember"

Idk man, people don't just forget that kind of shit. It'll be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Jesus.

based on what has been said publicly it seems highly likely the coach did something that was wrong and the hawks removed him from the org following that season, whether that was enough is hard to say because nobody knows what the player wanted to happen at that time, given how quiet the hawks and nhl have been its also likely they're trying to handle this completely through the legal process and not through a public forum like social media and reporters...fans hate that but the people that know what happened are going to do what their lawyers say to do which is say nothing

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
based on what has been said publicly it seems highly likely the coach did something that was wrong and the hawks removed him from the org following that season, whether that was enough is hard to say because nobody knows what the player wanted to happen at that time, given how quiet the hawks and nhl have been its also likely they're trying to handle this completely through the legal process and not through a public forum like social media and reporters...fans hate that but the people that know what happened are going to do what their lawyers say to do which is say nothing

We don't know what happened and have not read the Blackhawks' response to the allegations. I'm not trying to dismiss the validity of the plaintiff's claim but it's in his best interests to go to the media and blow up every filing. The lawyer said she's looking for a $10M+ settlement. The Blackhawks are not going to say anything that may cause them to lose that kind of case and will pursue dismissal before arguing the allegations of the case or even embarking on settlement talks.

One thing I find interesting is the Hawks have not put Bowman on leave as they did with Crawford while they investigated him.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
We don't know what happened and have not read the Blackhawks' response to the allegations. I'm not trying to dismiss the validity of the plaintiff's claim but it's in his best interests to go to the media and blow up every filing. The lawyer said she's looking for a $10M+ settlement. The Blackhawks are not going to say anything that may cause them to lose that kind of case and will pursue dismissal before arguing the allegations of the case or even embarking on settlement talks.

One thing I find interesting is the Hawks have not put Bowman on leave as they did with Crawford while they investigated him.

good points and logical way to assess the situation...there was one person placed on leave permanently last spring that was senior to Bowman so maybe thats a possible reason why Stan is still around

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
interesting to see chicago beat writers put out content everyday about this and then remember how laz live tweeted every press conference during the patrick kane case...guy was dead wrong yet here we are again every day seeing beat writers and fans with incomplete info making snap judgments over the allegation...had to go find the reactions when they alleged evidence was tampered with and people were convinced at that point that kane should be erased from society, certainly things can be different here but its interesting to see smear campaign take place again after the kane fiasco

Lawyer for Patrick Kane accuser drops bombshell, Twitter reacts

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
interesting to see chicago beat writers put out content everyday about this and then remember how laz live tweeted every press conference during the patrick kane case...guy was dead wrong yet here we are again every day seeing beat writers and fans with incomplete info making snap judgments over the allegation...had to go find the reactions when they alleged evidence was tampered with and people were convinced at that point that kane should be erased from society, certainly things can be different here but its interesting to see smear campaign take place again after the kane fiasco

Lawyer for Patrick Kane accuser drops bombshell, Twitter reacts

I mean to be fair that was a bombshell presser. It blows my mind the accuser's lawyer didn't contact the prosecutor about chain of custody before calling it.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I mean to be fair that was a bombshell presser. It blows my mind the accuser's lawyer didn't contact the prosecutor about chain of custody before calling it.

it was but my point is that hawks beat writers are pumping out content about a case they probably have zero material nonpublic info about and they've gone down this road before with kane and put his reputation through the ringer with zero accountability when they were wrong, this time its the org as a whole potentially

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
it was but my point is that hawks beat writers are pumping out content about a case they probably have zero material nonpublic info about and they've gone down this road before with kane and put his reputation through the ringer with zero accountability when they were wrong, this time its the org as a whole potentially

"Reporters" long ago stopped giving a shit about reporting the facts and truth. It's all about shock and awe today. Whatever can generate the most traffic is what they post. It's pathetic really.

I used to think lawyers were the dregs of society. Now it's "reporters".

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There seems to be some contradicting points made with the amendment to the complaint. His lawyer said he couldn't function within the NHL context, that this ruined his professional career and that the event was really debilitating. Yet, John Doe 1 remained in the NHL and with the Blackhawks for *years* following the event, in which he endured bullying at team practices, in front of coaches, bc of the event according to the amendment. Despite the bullying serving as a constant reminder of what happened, he was able to then repress the memory of the assault and it didn't come back to him until July 2019?

Reactions: Giovi

Tripp Longfellow

Feb 12, 2009
Canada
Is it possible the that John Doe was mostly an AHL player?
If this were the case he could say his NHL career was ruined and maybe that’s where he was ridiculed??

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
There seems to be some contradicting points made with the amendment to the complaint. His lawyer said he couldn't function within the NHL context, that this ruined his professional career and that the event was really debilitating. Yet, John Doe 1 remained in the NHL and with the Blackhawks for *years* following the event, in which he endured bullying at team practices, in front of coaches, bc of the event according to the amendment. Despite the bullying serving as a constant reminder of what happened, he was able to then repress the memory of the assault and it didn't come back to him until July 2019?
He didn't know Aldrich was later convicted of sexually as assaulting a minor until 2019... that's what brought it back out was discovering that he went on to commit other offfences.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
He didn't know Aldrich was later convicted of sexually as assaulting a minor until 2019... that's what brought it back out was discovering that he went on to commit other offfences.

I get that. What I find hard to believe is that the repression even happened in the first place given the additional context of *years* worth of bullying over the assault. The claim that he repressed the memory of the assault until July 2019 allows them to bypass statute of limitations in order to proceed with the suit. The amendment to the complaint appears to weaken the argument that he repressed the memory of the assault.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I get that. What I find hard to believe is that the repression even happened in the first place given the additional context of *years* worth of bullying over the assault. The claim that he repressed the memory of the assault until July 2019 allows them to bypass statute of limitations in order to proceed with the suit. The amendment to the complaint appears to weaken the argument that he repressed the memory of the assault.

“Years” can be two.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
“Years” can be two.

Whether it was two years or six... where exactly was his opportunity to repress the assault? I'm not a psychologist, but I imagine it's a lot easier to repress something if you don't speak about it and can avoid reminders of it.

The timeline of events is: the assault happens, John Doe 1 talks about it with at least one other player, leading him to find another player who had an incident with Aldrich. Those two players then report it to Vincent/Gary. John Doe 1 also reports the assault to the NHLPA. That player then endures at least two years of bullying from teammates. Then, after all that, he just represses the assault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad