Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Jay Zawaski moving to WBBM but will still be doing his podcast and writing about the Hawks via Substack

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
E-AaQZJXEAQvJwY

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Gotta say, Lazerus has been doing a solid job covering the Hawks dreadful start to the season both in print and on the podcasts. I've ripped his work quite a bit over the years but he has been fair and critical over the Hawks poor start. His article and subsequent discussion about Colliton not losing the team was rather insightful.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Gotta say, Lazerus has been doing a solid job covering the Hawks dreadful start to the season both in print and on the podcasts. I've ripped his work quite a bit over the years but he has been fair and critical over the Hawks poor start. His article and subsequent discussion about Colliton not losing the team was rather insightful.
Laz is a good writer and reporter, especially features, and knows how to work his sources. His biggest weakness is he's not a good hockey analyst so when he starts suggesting line combos etc. I tune him out.

He also might cry when Strome gets traded. Seems to like the guy.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Laz is a good writer and reporter, especially features, and knows how to work his sources. His biggest weakness is he's not a good hockey analyst so when he starts suggesting line combos etc. I tune him out.

He made a conscious decision to cater to the casual meathead fanbase that didn’t want Q fired at the expense of honest and objective journalism. IMHO he sacrificed his credibility for clickbait.

He’s otherwise a good writer, but it’s difficult to see past his antics.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012

I have never questioned Lazerus's writing ability. However, his strengths and story preferences as a hockey writer are a near polar opposite of what I want to consume. I want an analytical, critical look at players, team construction, and prospects. He'd rather write some fluff piece about why players chose their number or who is friends with who in the dressing room. Another issue I have with him is his overall smugness and condescension when dealing with the fans. This was at a peak when he would defend Seabrook in his last few seasons and throw sarcastic shots at fans. The worst was when he gave Seabrook a C- for the season when he was clearly one of the worst players in the league on one of the worst contracts.

I love the work Thomas Drance does while following Vancouver. He is on top of the Canucks salary cap, line combinations, and trends with the rest of the league. A very intelligent, well-spoken guy. He is a joy to listen to and those Canuck Army game recap pieces are fantastic. I have said for a while the Athletic should have a game recap article for the Hawks especially with two writers.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
Does anyone follow Steve Konroyd on Facebook? He’s been much more frank with fans since getting let go. Kind of refreshing to see him in a new light

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Does anyone follow Steve Konroyd on Facebook? He’s been much more frank with fans since getting let go. Kind of refreshing to see him in a new light
Konroyd was dry and dull as an analyst and took it easy on criticism of Hawks but he did provide some good insight that comes from playing in the league. His dullness didn't bother me like it seemed to do for some.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012

I liked Konroyd when he used to do interviews on the Score. I thought he would have been a good weekly Hawks guest if they wanted one. Olczyk always bores me. He is a company man who gives cliche after cliche and never answers a tough question.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Laz is the main reason I don’t subscribe. He knows less about hockey than I do. He is worried about spinning a yarn rather than actually providing value from facts. Always interjecting his feelings which usually don’t line up with reality. InThe podcast I could only handle 2mn of him because he talked over Powers, etc. and thinks he is funny (he is not) smart (maybe about something other than hockey) and always pimping his book or whatever. He would be better served writing for Good Housekeeping…..though his writing would bring that publication down too. He generally sucks ass in my eyes.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm having trouble grasping the concept of Steve Konroyd and interesting being in the same sentence without the word not somewhere between the two.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Laz is the main reason I don’t subscribe. He knows less about hockey than I do. He is worried about spinning a yarn rather than actually providing value from facts. Always interjecting his feelings which usually don’t line up with reality. InThe podcast I could only handle 2mn of him because he talked over Powers, etc. and thinks he is funny (he is not) smart (maybe about something other than hockey) and always pimping his book or whatever. He would be better served writing for Good Housekeeping…..though his writing would bring that publication down too. He generally sucks ass in my eyes.
I feel like you can insert any Northwestern grad here and the description will be accurate.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012

There's really good content on the Athletic about the rest of the league. And while I don't read it, I suspect the coverage of other sports is good as well. I wouldn't be a subscriber for the Hawks coverage alone.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Did anybody else listen to the latest Blackhawks Talk podcast?

They forgot to cut out a bad intro by Pat Boyle before publishing the podcast:

“Let me start this again, f***. Oh I’m so tired. I f***ing hate this team. Alright, we got one minute, we’re starting again.”

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Did anybody else listen to the latest Blackhawks Talk podcast?

They forgot to cut out a bad intro by Pat Boyle before publishing the podcast:

“Let me start this again, f***. Oh I’m so tired. I f***ing hate this team. Alright, we got one minute, we’re starting again.”

"I hate this team"??? How!? He has one of the cushiest jobs a sports fan can dream of

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Wow- Lazerus is clueless about the draft and rebuilding. In his recent podcast with Powers, he kept talking about how the draft is a crapshoot. There are all sorts of studies on the value of draft picks, some you can find in the Athletic, and the majority of the elite players are drafted high in the draft. Just look at these Finals- Mackinnon, Landeskog, Makar, Rantanen, Hedman, Stamkos are the core players for their teams and were all taken at the top of the draft. Guys like Kucherov, who Laz mistakenly said was a high pick, and Point are the exceptions and when teams find them in the second round and beyond, they end up winning Cups. The hit rate is much, much higher in the top 10. People will point to Yakupov and other busts but will fail to mention how many players at the end of 1st round and beyond never amount to anything. It's simply a numbers game and while there's no guarantees, you want to put the odds in your favor. Build the best scouting and development program you can, get as many draft picks, especially top 10 picks, as possible, and hope you get a little luck along the way. Even the Lightning miss on draft picks but if you're better at drafting and development than the rest of the league, you'll have a winning team in the long run. Oh yeah, if NJ is foolish enough to trade the 2OA and more for Debrincat, you make that trade without question.

Reactions: clydesdale line

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Wow- Lazerus is clueless about the draft and rebuilding. In his recent podcast with Powers, he kept talking about how the draft is a crapshoot. There are all sorts of studies on the value of draft picks, some you can find in the Athletic, and the majority of the elite players are drafted high in the draft. Just look at these Finals- Mackinnon, Landeskog, Makar, Rantanen, Hedman, Stamkos are the core players for their teams and were all taken at the top of the draft. Guys like Kucherov, who Laz mistakenly said was a high pick, and Point are the exceptions and when teams find them in the second round and beyond, they end up winning Cups. The hit rate is much, much higher in the top 10. People will point to Yakupov and other busts but will fail to mention how many players at the end of 1st round and beyond never amount to anything. It's simply a numbers game and while there's no guarantees, you want to put the odds in your favor. Build the best scouting and development program you can, get as many draft picks, especially top 10 picks, as possible, and hope you get a little luck along the way. Even the Lightning miss on draft picks but if you're better at drafting and development than the rest of the league, you'll have a winning team in the long run. Oh yeah, if NJ is foolish enough to trade the 2OA and more for Debrincat, you make that trade without question.
He's clueless and speaks in complete certainties. Its infuriating.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

Yea that latest podcast was some of the worst verbal diarrhea I've ever heard from Laz and that's saying something.

I actually said audibly "my God shut the f*** up Laz" while walking my dogs lol.

Powers is the only reason I stomach the Athletic, even with as cheap as it is.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Yea that latest podcast was some of the worst verbal diarrhea I've ever heard from Laz and that's saying something.

I actually said audibly "my God shut the f*** up Laz" while walking my dogs lol.

Powers is the only reason I stomach the Athletic, even with as cheap as it is.
Laz is terrible, I say that often too.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So if it is a numbers game then surely1 of our first 5 selections currently beconesxa star even 4/ those 5 fail to be of much difference-making quality...Of course you probably get similar results throwing darts at target names on a wall...andvof course we have tge ready made excuse that the vaunted new processes and changes coming to our scouting dept. Will not be on place until they scout next season's draft crop ...

So for this draft=darts on a wall or luck..=crap-shoot ..but if a numbers game we still expect at minimum 1 of the first 5 of our picks to actually become if not a superstar then at least topbsix forward level eventually or top 3 dman if we pick a dman in our 1st 5 picks..

Anything beyond that and we got lucky or our scouts went above and beyond expectation.

.But 5 more total busts and somebody's head has to roll a few years down the line when the drFtes' success or failures will be known.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad