Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
If you like behind-the-scenes stuff, interesting feature in The Athletic today on Kyle Davidson, the new assistant general manager for the Hawks. He is only 32 and worked his way up from intern and is actually the Hawks cap guy now and the guy who did the Strome and Kubalik negotiations ($): From Blackhawks intern to assistant GM, Kyle Davidson's steady rise continues

What strikes me is that the organization really isn't dipping into the same pool for hires as the rest of the NHL but is looking to develop their own talent in house both on the hockey ops and coaching side and Stan doesn't seem like a micro manager, from the way Davidson speaks.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Ok. I just started listening to the new 31 Thoughts and Elliot starts with a LENGTHY monologue of the behind the scenes decision to wear a turtle neck on Hockey Night in Canada.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Was that Sharp on Sunday's telecast as the analyst? How was he?

Yes! I liked him. I thought at the beginning he was a little hesitant to say anything or interject so it like for a good 15 minutes he said little as Foley called the game but I thought he warmed up and will do a good job once he's comfortable. I mean realistically Eddie O isn't going to do this forever and you don't become a good colour guy overnight.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Yes! I liked him. I thought at the beginning he was a little hesitant to say anything or interject so it like for a good 15 minutes he said little as Foley called the game but I thought he warmed up and will do a good job once he's comfortable. I mean realistically Eddie O isn't going to do this forever and you don't become a good colour guy overnight.

Agree with all this. He's a natural, only needs a few reps (and I mean really very few).

Reactions: Brightwing

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Oh man did Lazarus hit it out of the park with this piece on Patrick Kane's years in youth hockey. The stories and interviews really give a glimpse into why Kane is the player he is today. Read it on your lunch break or this evening when you have time to settle in and read the whole thing. It was so good. The incredible stories of Blackhawks star Patrick Kane's days as America's most dominant youth hockey player ever

His coach at Honeybaked is well know in Detroit for being a great coach. Not shocked to read this.

Almost makes me miss living in Detroit (not IN Detroit).

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Fun throwback question I´m sure some on the board will enjoy. Who would win a mini series dynasty CUP between the 2013 Hawks & the 2016 Pens?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I couldn't disagree more.

Clickbait is about driving ad impressions. I know all about that, since I'm in digital marketing.

The Athletic is ad free, so it couldn't be further from that model.
Well, as a Streamer, I can say it's completely 100% clickbait.

If you are starting an article, then after 150 characters locking it up then telling the reader "for X amount of dollars you can unlock", you are nothing better then an onlyfans creator.

"Clickbait" is attracting attention. I can make a FN video with a title "50 kill Arena Dub" with no ads, hyperlink it on every social media platform, then link my Twitch stream in the comments and get about 20 subs from it.

The Athletic does the exact same thing.

People need to know what they are talking about.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, as a Streamer, I can say it's completely 100% clickbait.

If you are starting an article, then after 150 characters locking it up then telling the reader "for X amount of dollars you can unlock", you are nothing better then an onlyfans creator.

"Clickbait" is attracting attention. I can make a FN video with a title "50 kill Arena Dub" with no ads, hyperlink it on every social media platform, then link my Twitch stream in the comments and get about 20 subs from it.

The Athletic does the exact same thing.

People need to know what they are talking about.

How is it different than a newspaper, magazine, etc?

They cant do it for free. People need jobs.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
How is it different than a newspaper, magazine, etc?

They cant do it for free. People need jobs.
It's no different.

But to say the Athletic isn't clickbaiting is 100% wrong.

I clickbaited my way to almost 4k subs on twitch. I see exactly what they are doing but I didn't buy bots to hyperlink their drivel the way they do.

But then again, The Athletic is rather small in the big picture. I could make a ten minute video of a greatest hit compilation of me murking all the big name FN streamers, fill it with ads, and probably make more revenue in a week then they would make in a month. Just the Chicago sector of The Athletic, mind you.

This is why I don't take them seriously. I'm almost positive everything written is approved by the Hawks before it's published, so I take anything written by those two slugs with a grain of salt. There's telling signs to it, but I'll let others look for them.

If either of those two clowns streamed and pulled 100 viewers, I'd be shocked.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Lots of great hockey content on the Athletic this week but nothing from Lazerus or Powers on the Hawks. Are they on vacation? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I read about a lot of different teams on the Athletic and Laz and Powers leave a lot to be desired compared to other teams' writers.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Probably on vacation

We came off holiday and there wont be much to talk about until start of this weekend/next week with leadup to expansion and entry draft

Bobby Mac and most of the big shots up North usually would go on vacations right after FA frenzy in past offseason so its not uncommon for sports writers to take vacations during dead periods

Also honestly is there much for writers to write about most offseason? I suspect you get far less content during offseason from writers around league especially teams that didn't make playoffs , etc

I am sure if Hawks made trade tonight that they would write an article to put up tomorrow

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Lots of great hockey content on the Athletic this week but nothing from Lazerus or Powers on the Hawks. Are they on vacation? I've said it before and I'll say it again, I read about a lot of different teams on the Athletic and Laz and Powers leave a lot to be desired compared to other teams' writers.

Powers is on parental leave. He may post the odd story but he's not full time. Not sure about Laz. He may have had vaca.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
Also honestly is there much for writers to write about most offseason? I suspect you get far less content during offseason from writers around league especially teams that didn't make playoffs , etc

I am just comparing what I see from the rest of the teams' writers versus Laz and Powers. There have been quite a few excellent articles from around the league but crickets about the Blackhawks. I do recall hearing something about Powers going on paternity leave so that makes sense. Guess I should get ready for fluff piece from Lazerus tomorrow. Maybe he'll go back to the well and write about the Cup era teams.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't really know where to put this, but has anybody else listened to the new 31 Thoughts podcast?

Elliotte rips the Hawks organization for the way they presented their first pick and says he's not the only one around the league who was disgusted by it. He said that coming right after the Canadiens pick of Mailloux made for a disastrous ending to the first round for the NHL.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I don't really know where to put this, but has anybody else listened to the new 31 Thoughts podcast?

Elliotte rips the Hawks organization for the way they presented their first pick and says he's not the only one around the league who was disgusted by it. He said that coming right after the Canadiens pick of Mailloux made for a disastrous ending to the first round for the NHL.

Seems like a very weird thing to be disgusted over considering they had it planned to announce the pick the whole time and have been promoting women in the organization for months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad