Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Seems like a very weird thing to be disgusted over considering they had it planned to announce the pick the whole time and have been promoting women in the organization for months.

Yeah, I didn't like that comment (Laz made a similar one in his recent post).

If he really thought it was performative he should have kept it to himself because to say the women were qualified to be there but it was still a publicity stunt casts a shadow on them actually being qualified.

And the woman who made the pick, Meghan Hunter, has been with the Hawks for years. It's possible for the Hawks to have done the wrong thing with respect to handling the sexual assault allegations and the right thing in terms of extending opportunities in hockey to women and the two things are not related and in fact relating them is not fair to the women who worked so hard to be there.

Fun fact, Meghan is a member of the Hunter family associated with the London Knights. No wonder the Knights and Hawks have such a good relationship.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I don't really know where to put this, but has anybody else listened to the new 31 Thoughts podcast?

Elliotte rips the Hawks organization for the way they presented their first pick and says he's not the only one around the league who was disgusted by it. He said that coming right after the Canadiens pick of Mailloux made for a disastrous ending to the first round for the NHL.
If Elliotte has a problem with it, he should take a long look in the mirror and ask what’s really bothering him. What a joke.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I get firing Konroyd. He sucked ass. Don't understand Jammer. Unless both have something to do with the scandal... I thought Jammer was great.

Yeah, I thought he was good too. Unless he got another job? Konroyd had low energy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah, I thought he was good too. Unless he got another job? Konroyd had low energy.

The way Laz made it sound was they were fired. Dunno. Konroyd was shit, and I'm really happy he's gone, though, as that means he's not gonna be coming back in the booth. I was scared they'd replace Foley with shitty ass Konroyd.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The way Laz made it sound was they were fired. Dunno. Konroyd was shit, and I'm really happy he's gone, though, as that means he's not gonna be coming back in the booth. I was scared they'd replace Foley with shitty ass Konroyd.
I don't think there's one play by play guy who's an ex-NHLer. Most of the color guys are, but play by play guys are Telecommunications/Radio Arts grads.

Big difference between calling a game and adding commentary.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I like the team that ESPN has put together, for the most part.

I think ESPN's biggest challenge will be finding a seamless way to educate newer fans to hockey on the fly. It's the thing that the local Chicago broadcasts have been TERRIBLE at.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from watching Canadian broadcasts for many years now, but when play stops and you hear smart analysts break down how the play developed, what was impressive and why, what was a mistake and why.... it's pretty tough to go back to a broadcast where the play stops and they cut to "LOOK AT THIS KID EATING ICE CREAM!" or "Let me tell you this old-man anecdote nobody could possibly give a shit about" or "all you young hockey players out there, be sure to <insert one of 5 recycled tips> that may or may not tangentially relate to what actually led to the goal".

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So they get rid of Bodan , Konroyd and Mayers and now bring in guy with no connection to franchise/city and who has very limited experience

They are clearly cutting $ and going cheap. Expect quality of broadcasts and such to follow suit

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Thought it'd be Sharpie filling in, but with the recent allegations, it's not much of a surprise he isn't being given more of a role this year. Last thing the org wants right now is to remind people of the 2010 squad.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

I think ESPN's biggest challenge will be finding a seamless way to educate newer fans to hockey on the fly. It's the thing that the local Chicago broadcasts have been TERRIBLE at.

Maybe I'm just spoiled from watching Canadian broadcasts for many years now, but when play stops and you hear smart analysts break down how the play developed, what was impressive and why, what was a mistake and why.... it's pretty tough to go back to a broadcast where the play stops and they cut to "LOOK AT THIS KID EATING ICE CREAM!" or "Let me tell you this old-man anecdote nobody could possibly give a shit about" or "all you young hockey players out there, be sure to <insert one of 5 recycled tips> that may or may not tangentially relate to what actually led to the goal".

That has never been ESPN's mission. Look at everything they cover--it's always to focus on the key names that casual fans know and talk ad nauseum about them and try to spark various water cooler topics like "who is better, Matthews or McDavid?" that they run endlessly on repeat throughout the day. I can't wait to see how often they talk about the Rangers and Bruins, since they always pander to the Northeastern markets.

I agree that the US version of any hockey broadcast could learn a thing or two by watching how the Canadian broadcasts educate the viewers and offer useful information.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Ray F does this well.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Quick friendly reminder that Mayers is an analyst and Foley is a play by play guy. It’s two different jobs and Mayers’ firing should have no impact on the search for Foley’s replacement.

Reactions: Giovi

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Thank GOD Konroyd is gone. He was beyond terrible.

I think in general they have to go younger and appeal to a younger demographic. It's diminishing returns to keep appealing to the existing base. I don't see a young fan going, man I love that Konroyd guy.

As for Sharp, the first time he did colour he was pretty nervous, you could tell. Hardly said anything for the first 15 minutes. But it's the sort of thing that takes practice 0n when to jump in with the play-by-play.

With play-by-play, it really is an art rooted in a broadcasting background and takes a lot of practice. It is much, much harder than colour commentary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad