Blackhawks media thread

Do you subscribe to The Athletic?

• Total voters

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Anybody else listen to the CHGO podcast? I stopped bc they kinda badmouth other more successful podcasts and media folks and that really bothered me cuz they’re honestly mids and it just came off as jealous and turned me off.. but while I did listen I noticed Greg Boyson constantly getting Hagel and once or twice Saads name wrong, calling them both Brendan… what I thought at least 20 times. But now I’m not sure if it was my shitty ears or what. Curious if anyone is able to corroborate this??

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
So if it is a numbers game then surely1 of our first 5 selections currently beconesxa star even 4/ those 5 fail to be of much difference-making quality...Of course you probably get similar results throwing darts at target names on a wall...andvof course we have tge ready made excuse that the vaunted new processes and changes coming to our scouting dept. Will not be on place until they scout next season's draft crop ...

So for this draft=darts on a wall or luck..=crap-shoot ..but if a numbers game we still expect at minimum 1 of the first 5 of our picks to actually become if not a superstar then at least topbsix forward level eventually or top 3 dman if we pick a dman in our 1st 5 picks..

Anything beyond that and we got lucky or our scouts went above and beyond expectation.

.But 5 more total busts and somebody's head has to roll a few years down the line when the drFtes' success or failures will be known.
Found this on Twitter today and while it's a little old, I would suspect scouting has only gotten better since 2013.

Attachments

• FGvhwFzUUAMwxL5.png
    FGvhwFzUUAMwxL5.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: plasmonresonance

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Anybody else listen to the CHGO podcast? I stopped bc they kinda badmouth other more successful podcasts and media folks and that really bothered me cuz they’re honestly mids and it just came off as jealous and turned me off.. but while I did listen I noticed Greg Boyson constantly getting Hagel and once or twice Saads name wrong, calling them both Brendan… what I thought at least 20 times. But now I’m not sure if it was my shitty ears or what. Curious if anyone is able to corroborate this??

Hosts lose credibility when they don't even know how to pronounce the names of players that they should know. I've noticed this often with Laz and Powers, even though they have gotten better, the 3rd Feather or whatever the hell the Sam Fels podcast is called nowadays, and the Keeping Karlson fantasy hockey podcast. I understand misspelling names, I still have to look up how to spell Hjalmarsson and Olczyk, but mispronouncing players' names from around the league speaks to their lack of knowledge.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
Powers has been a disappointment for me. He’s the only journalist who didn’t even have Josi in his top 5 for the Norris.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Scott Powers is a good journalist and nothing more

His personal hockey takes are never good
I listen and read a lot of different hockey writers and podcasters and Lazerus and Powers are mediocre at best. Lazerus is intelligent and an excellent writer but his condescension and overall smarminess is very off-putting. And this is coming from a guy who pretty much agrees with him politically which is something that makes him unpopular with many:(. Powers is just meh and is a pretty lousy talker on the podcasts. Back when I followed the Hawks closely, I rarely learned anything from consuming their work in the Athletic. You could sift through posts in this forum and get better insight about the Hawks than from their coverage.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Listened to the latest Laz and Powers podcast on the Athletic and it might have been the most boring, uninspiring hockey podcast I've ever heard. I can't blame them much since the Hawks have nothing interesting to talk about. Maybe that is why it only went 40 minutes. And Powers really needs to work on his speaking. The "um"s and "you know"s seem to be getting worse with him. Spit it out already! Wonder if the Athletic keeps employing two writers to cover the Hawks. There are a bunch of teams without a single writer and I suspect the Hawks' following is going to decrease dramatically during their rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad