Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Flames - Therapy For Glencross, STAT

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Doesn't make sense. As good as the depth on the team has been so far this season, they still have a 1-3-2 record. Which just goes to show that if Kipper, Iginla and Cammalleri aren't producing, the team isn't winning. Thus, there's a lot of pressure on those three guys game in, game out.

If you watched the games played by the flames thus far I think its pretty obvious this team deserves a better fate then the 1-3-2 record. They really have not been lucky. Our secondary scoring is not a concern to me at all

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I will say this, Iginla and Cammy are not on the team to be role players. Its great Iggy has other intangibles to his game such as a physical presence, play making ability, good on FO's, and is killing penalties this season. However, Iginla gets paid the salary he does to score goals and lead the team in that department. Cammy has been largely ineffective and invisible in the first 5 games, and no question Iginla has been better. But I do agree that Iginla and Cammy needs to score goals. Slow starter or not, this is a shortened season and Iggy needs to start lighting the lamp. I'm not to worried about it because they are signs that he looks like he's about to break out, but this cannot keep going on.

The middle ground here that I see is that Iginla's on ice play in all the other areas has been good, whereas Cammy has been a ghost (minus last night). While that's great Iginla is doing all the little things right, enough is enough already and the goals need to start coming.

I really liked the Cammy/Tangs/Iggy line and I want it to stick, I think they could be a deadly line. I also really want to see a Cervenka/Backlund/Hudler line. I think if we can get those 2 lines going then the Flames have the potential to be one of the top scoring teams in the NHL.

Lastly, does anyone else think Backlund looks like Backstrom this year? Obviously he doesn't that upside but his skill level and style of play looks very similar.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I will say this, Iginla and Cammy are not on the team to be role players. Its great Iggy has other intangibles to his game such as a physical presence, play making ability, good on FO's, and is killing penalties this season. However, Iginla gets paid the salary he does to score goals and lead the team in that department. Cammy has been largely ineffective and invisible in the first 5 games, and no question Iginla has been better. But I do agree that Iginla and Cammy needs to score goals. Slow starter or not, this is a shortened season and Iggy needs to start lighting the lamp. I'm not to worried about it because they are signs that he looks like he's about to break out, but this cannot keep going on.

The middle ground here that I see is that Iginla's on ice play in all the other areas has been good, whereas Cammy has been a ghost (minus last night). While that's great Iginla is doing all the little things right, enough is enough already and the goals need to start coming.

I really liked the Cammy/Tangs/Iggy line and I want it to stick, I think they could be a deadly line. I also really want to see a Cervenka/Backlund/Hudler line. I think if we can get those 2 lines going then the Flames have the potential to be one of the top scoring teams in the NHL.

Lastly, does anyone else think Backlund looks like Backstrom this year? Obviously he doesn't that upside but his skill level and style of play looks very similar.

I think I agree, Stajan with Stempniak and Glencross would be one of the better 3rd lines out there.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Now that I've calmed down, I'm still pissed!!

Bouwmeester comes up big and wins the game for us. And just when we think it's in the bag, one of their 18 shots goes in the net.

47 shots to 19 by all measures of sound sciences should win hockey games!! And for afterhours in HNC to say we didn't hit enough and that's why we lost?! :madfire:

That's blatant bad luck. I feel like my dog actually ate my homework but I can't tell my teacher the truth because it's too ridiculous to believe.

To go from that happy to absolutely dumbfounded...

I feel like I'm holding my lottery ticket and just when the announcer on the radio calls out the last number I nearly have a heart attack because he calls out all of my numbers. But then the announcer corrects himself and then laughs about it. The 4 looked like a 9 or some ****.

So how do you make lemonaide when you just got handed some mouldy, diseased-riddled lemons that have been sitting behind the fridge for so many years they look like hairy green raisins?

How do turn that frown upside down when someone just took a 15lb sledge hammer at full swin to your groin while you were wearing spandex doing the splits?

HOW!?!

I am heartbroken too but after going thru moments like Leopold not scoring to tie in game 7, not winning in OT at home in game 6 in '04, Bure's goal, Flaherty's game 7 stonewall, Tikanen's goal, Nieuwendyk's goal against Oilers that went in but no replay so it didn't count (it hit the white fabric from the net and came out), no show game 7 against Anaheim, etc.....................

i have quickly gotten over it because it's just a regular season game and I am excited to see if we can get wins against Detroit and Columbus to set up a hyped up Saturday HNIC matchup against the hated Canucks.

And if we lose then we can do a quick rebuild by moving out Iggy and Kipper for assets and look at getting Jones or Mackinnon at the draft.

It's all good man!

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Doesn't make sense. As good as the depth on the team has been so far this season, they still have a 1-3-2 record. Which just goes to show that if Kipper, Iginla and Cammalleri aren't producing, the team isn't winning. Thus, there's a lot of pressure on those three guys game in, game out.

Agreed, but the team has depth scoring now, the problem was their defense and goaltending. The Flames had shaky goaltending in the nearly every game besides the one last night (where we can still see Kipper isn't 100% yet). The D wasn't very good the past games but has gotten better every time (last night I was impressed).

As I see it, the Flames should stand 2-3-1. If the team can repeat their performance from last night, with the same heart and the same intensity, they'll start stringing wins together.

And maybe Glenny will start putting them in. :laugh:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Agreed, but the team has depth scoring now, the problem was their defense and goaltending. The Flames had shaky goaltending in the nearly every game besides the one last night (where we can still see Kipper isn't 100% yet). The D wasn't very good the past games but has gotten better every time (last night I was impressed).

As I see it, the Flames should stand 2-3-1. If the team can repeat their performance from last night, with the same heart and the same intensity, they'll start stringing wins together.

And maybe Glenny will start putting them in. :laugh:

It was tough to swallow. I think this team is better off playing teams when they are not putting in their backup on a back to back night. Giguere and Emery were both fantastic

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I really liked Smith - Butler as a pairing I would leave Sarich in the press box.

I like the physical presence by Sarich but its tough to remove those 2 after a solid game yesterday. Butler was flying, he almost put one in too. I don't see a need for Babchuk as those bottom 3 are all ahead of him IMO.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like the physical presence by Sarich but its tough to remove those 2 after a solid game yesterday. Butler was flying, he almost put one in too. I don't see a need for Babchuk as those bottom 3 are all ahead of him IMO.

Sairch really isn't that physical anymore, I prefer Butler as he is a faster skater and is a much better shot block which is useful on the pk. But I am admittedly a Butler defender.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I still like Sarich because of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkCpQOMP-8

I don't know how I'm supposed to embed videos on these forums yet. My apologies.

I am not a huge fan of Sarich especially in the last couple of years, he isn't that player anymore he is more of a #5/6 defensemen and shouldn't see more than 15 minutes a night, he also isn't that great on the pk anymore.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Now that I have calmed down it isn't that bad, we need 55 points based off a 95 point cut off in a 82 game season, which means that from here on out we need to average of 6 points every 5 games which is only a record of 3-2 or 2-1-2 or 1-0-4

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I am not a huge fan of Sarich especially in the last couple of years, he isn't that player anymore he is more of a #5/6 defensemen and shouldn't see more than 15 minutes a night, he also isn't that great on the pk anymore.

Cory isn't really an NHL caliber D-Man anymore tbh. He was one of those guys who couldn't transition in the league with foot-speed.
Flames people for some reason always has such boners about him... When his skating, offensive awareness and overall position have been lacking since like 08/09.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Now that I have calmed down it isn't that bad, we need 55 points based off a 95 point cut off in a 82 game season, which means that from here on out we need to average of 6 points every 5 games which is only a record of 3-2 or 2-1-2 or 1-0-4

You don't really have to look at it that way. A huge reason why it looks like were out of it is the games in hand we have. If we win our next 2 games it will bring us to 8pts, and looking at MIN,DET,EDM they are all tied for 6th with 9pts. So if all goes well we could be a point out of the playoffs with the same amount of games played. Now, given that were playing the Wings, a regulation win could do great for us to push even more forward.

Also, look at the Canucks. They got a 4-2-2 record in 8 games. We could have a 3-3-2 in 8 games and if we win on saturday they will be 4-3-2 in 9 games and so will we. Just like that were back into it and also in the division race. It sucks because we shouldn't be in this position but if you look at it this way we could be right in the thick of things in 1-2 weeks time if we happen to play some solid hockey. Question is can this team get a streak going.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
No, pissed about all of them.

You can all pat on the back all u want and give them all the effort ribbons you want.......excitement/playing great doesn't get you to the playoffs, wins do.

Show me a flames team that can play like that, hold a lead and win then ill be happy.

Okay. It's been six games so far. Six. Sure every game matters in a 48 game season. The Flames still have 42 left. We all knew that the team would be battling in the 7th to 9th spot. There is still time for this team to get the points to make it into the playoffs.

The team has lost 3 in regulation, and 2 in a shoot out. Of course it sucks that the Flames have only 1 win, but this record does not reflect the circumstances the team is in. It's been 5 real games to learn a brand new system under Hartley; a system that is drastically different from the prior 3 years: The lines have constantly been changing, the Flames didn't get 2 of the organizations major acquisitions until game 3, and Kipper hasn't been the best for them so far. The team can practice all they want, but the real experience is needed from testing and tweeking the system and lines during actual NHL games. And after 6 games, the Flames have improved.

Last night the Flames played the best 60+ minutes yet. Finally, finally, the team can play a solid 60 minutes (save for maybe 1 player, who has his bad moments). The Flames got robbed last night. Even Hawks fans recognize that their was incredibly lucky to get an undeserved win last night. If the Flames can repeat the performance from this Hawks game, and if they can improve on finishing their chances and Kipper not flopping about, the team will win games. It is not too late to see this team make the playoffs.

/rant

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad